Against Minny, Brommer play 11 mins

SayHawkKid

and came in early. He hadn't played a minute since Lick came back to the team. I wonder what brought about the change in Lick's substitution plan?

Also, I almost CMP when Brom went all Haluska from the free throw line and put 2 right down the shute. Move over MG, I'll take this T!

It's pretty frustrating to watch kids play in conference games when they didn't even sniff the court during the non-conference schedule.

Brommer looked pretty good. Thats why he will not see the court again. Thats how our coach operates.

Lick said in the postgame interview that he had been playing good defense in practice lately and that was the reason for giving him minutes.

Lick said in the postgame interview that he had been playing good defense in practice lately and that was the reason for giving him minutes.

Are you serious? Playing good defense in practice so he now deserves some time on the court...my God that guy has some serious control issues. We are getting punched in the mouth and the best he can come up with is that? That just pisses me off even more.

Coach didn't like how Cole was playing, that's why Brommer got the minutes.
I did not think Brommer looked that good, for the record.

The team is struggling and coach Lick is trying anything he can to bring hope to this team. My feelings are that guys will have off practices and this should not be punishable with game play. Plus the bench is not deep with great players. Come on, if little Lick and Brommer are playing at all, says it all.

Storm, whether he looked very good, my question, did he look better than Cole did? I would say he did, which is not good for Cole, he is playing a position that he is undersized and he does not seem to be able to use his body good enough to move people out without fouling them. Some undersized players seem to be able to play inside because they have more control with their body than he does. JMO

Stormin-

Is Cugs still hurting? He has been limited the past few games.

From what I have heard, back spasms, but I would highly highly doubt that's not why he is out there.

Fuller has played very well, that's one reason.

But Cougs needs more minutes, IMO.

Storm, whether he looked very good, my question, did he look better than Cole did? I would say he did, which is not good for Cole, he is playing a position that he is undersized and he does not seem to be able to use his body good enough to move people out without fouling them. Some undersized players seem to be able to play inside because they have more control with their body than he does. JMO

I must be in the minority because I heard and read a lot of people not happy with Cole's play in the MN game.

I didn't think it was that bad. He had a couple TOs, but he wasn't in the game enough to get into the flow.

I thought Cole looked better than Brommer, yes. It goes back to the Iverson issue I've brought up too many times for my own good. Colton got away with a lot of hip and knee checks vs. Cole, that's were a couple of his TOs came from.

From what I have heard, back spasms, but I would highly highly doubt that's not why he is out there.

Fuller has played very well, that's one reason.

But Cougs needs more minutes, IMO.

The only match up that was good for Cogill was Iverson. I guess unless he was coming in directly for Cole it did not make a lot of sense to have him out there. He is a liablity defensively away from the hoop and Iverson was the only Minny player who was going to stay around the basket.

Fuller got kind of screwed with on Saturday. Yes he was sloppy at times but Lick had a mighty quick hook for him for some reason. It's hard for a player to get in any sort of rhythm if he gets yanked anytime he turns the ball over.

Hell May made some absolutely terrible turnovers and he stayed in. I think May should have stayed in because Bawinkle and Lickliter need to play as little minutes as possible. I guess I would like to see Fuller get a longer leash at times. I want to see him developed, Iowa really needs his strength/athleticism out there.

I must be in the minority because I heard and read a lot of people not happy with Cole's play in the MN game.

I didn't think it was that bad. He had a couple TOs, but he wasn't in the game enough to get into the flow.

I thought Cole looked better than Brommer, yes. It goes back to the Iverson issue I've brought up too many times for my own good. Colton got away with a lot of hip and knee checks vs. Cole, that's were a couple of his TOs came from.

Until Cole developes a face up game he is going to struggle against most BCS type teams. He is just too short to be playing back to the basket against guys like Iverson. Cole is what 6-7 tops?

He doesn't shoot well from 15 feet and that really hurts his game. He gets himself under the basket and does not quite have the quickness/explosiveness to go up through the tall defenders.

He really, really needs to work on his game away from the basket. His strength is not going against bigger post players.

If Cole can have any sort of game like Brunner, he'll be fine. Bru was an undersized guy as well. However, Bru had the luxury of playing the 4, not the 5 that Cole is stuck playing.

Agree on Fuller, Lick has a small margin of error for him for whatever reason. He's playing well right now overall.

If Cole can have any sort of game like Brunner, he'll be fine. Bru was an undersized guy as well. However, Bru had the luxury of playing the 4, not the 5 that Cole is stuck playing.

Agree on Fuller, Lick has a small margin of error for him for whatever reason. He's playing well right now overall.

Cole will be a SR next year. He is not as good of a shooter as Brunner and never will be at this point. He has gotten better, but he is not consistent enough to be effective.

I agree playing the 5 back to basket is not the best way for Cole to suceed. He would be much better being a 4, facing up more often, and having a little smaller guy on him. He is a good floater, stay around the hoop and put stuff back and what not.

And Greg was more relentless and developed a fair outside shot by his senior year. Cole was supposed to have the 15-17 foot shot this year, but I guess doing it in practice doesn't always transfer to game conditions.

I was noticing the short leash on Fuller back before he got hurt but was starting to believe that was over. Wrong. Both times that he was in for a minute and got pulled, his shoulders couldn't have sagged more. Cole had similar body language a few times he went out.

I actually hope that Brennan's back still bothers him because if it doesn't, he looks way too slow to help much this year. Maybe he can go to one of those "improve your quickness" camps. Maybe a little more strength work so Iverson can't affect as much as you think he did.

Cole will be a SR next year. He is not as good of a shooter as Brunner and never will be at this point. He has gotten better, but he is not consistent enough to be effective.

I agree playing the 5 back to basket is not the best way for Cole to suceed. He would be much better being a 4, facing up more often, and having a little smaller guy on him. He is a good floater, stay around the hoop and put stuff back and what not.
Trouble with your last point is that even at the 4, he will be smaller (height) than most other power forwards in the BT.

Lick has had a short leash with several players over the past 3 years including: Kelly - transfer; Palmer - transfer; Davis - transfer; Peterson - transfer. Anyone notice a trend?

What really surprised me was that he didn't seem to have short leash on Freeman.

My point in regards to Cole and Bru was that Greg was able to succeed on the block in the Big Ten at his height. Cole has close to the same physical tools as Bru did (doesn't nearly have the same skill set I realize), so I think he can succeed in the BT against the Big Boys.

Latest posts