After sleeping on it what did we accomplish?

It was a good year that has been clouded, perhaps unfairly, by our collective anxiety in having precious few program accomplishments in the last 20 years. Alford won a couple Big Ten tournaments (one of which was definitely a Cinderella type situation) and the other one, while impressive at the time, sure seems fleeting in hindsight.

Fran is a good coach but, I'll say again, probably not a great coach. He runs a spotless program and gives every appearance of treating his players like they are his own kids (though a couple of them ARE his own kids!). We haven't found the next Lute, but we aren't being pulled to the bottom of the ocean on the SS Todd Lickliter, either.

And now, the rebuilding begins. A roster full of some interesting projects at varying degrees of development and upside that can likely be developed into a top half Big Ten team - if not this next year, perhaps the year after. I think that's life as an Iowa basketball fan. It could be much worse, but glory and recognition on the national level is likely to remain out of reach.

The team was a lot of fun to watch and provided a desperately needed distraction during some trying times. I'll be telling my grandkids about Luka Garza someday. I've never seen a Hawk like him in my lifetime (I'm too young to really remember Marble).

Perhaps we can hope for a "Fran 2.0" like what we've seen on the football side. Again, I think Fran is a good coach - maybe even "very good" - but he, like all of us, has strengths and weaknesses. The man can coach offense for sure, but we have consistently struggled on defense over the years. The safe assumption would be that's just an "it is what it is" kind of thing, but who knows.

We were a good team that came away from the season without much to show for it. We're definitely not alone there, I think it just stings a little bit more for us because the lack of program success we've had over the last couple decades and we were all hoping this would be the year.
I pretty much agree with all of this. Is there another program in the nation that cares as much about basketball as we do and have been through this long of a sweet 16 drought? I can't think of one. It puts fans in a position where every year we fall short it gets harder to take. And unfortunately, every time a team gets in a position to finally buck the trend, it puts an enormous amount of unneeded pressure on them.

I think if you're of the opinion that after this season you are done with Iowa basketball, you likely weren't really "in" to begin with. That was a lot of fun. It wasn't fun to not make the 2nd weekend, but as a fan, I want more. I want to see where else we can go.

I don't for a second think that this team is some unicorn that took Fran 11 years to create and we'll likely never have a better chance. I think this was a group that most Iowa fans wrote off 4 years ago after Iowa went 14-19. Instead that same group went on to win 65 games over the next 3 seasons. As a collective fan base, we were all kind of dumb to think the end was there. The world wasn't ending in 17/18, it's not now either.

I think Fran's gonna have a lot better teams and chances as we move forward. No where did I feel like this was some sort of level Iowa can't reach again or that it took every moon to line up just right to get there. This was just another one of his teams, maybe his best, but I don't think it's a sign that it can't be done again, IMO, it's repeatable. Maybe not having a POY candidate like Luka.... and as much as I love Luka, it's going to be years before I get the sight of OR attacking our rim at will and he unfortunately played a big part in that too.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Is there another program in the nation that cares as much about basketball as we do and have been through this long of a sweet 16 drought? I can't think of one. It puts fans in a position where every year we fall short it gets harder to take. And unfortunately, every time a team gets in a position to finally buck the trend, it puts an enormous amount of unneeded pressure on them.

That's exactly how I feel. Even one Sweet 16 (or better) would buy a lot of good will with me. But alas, no, the wait continues. With top players on their way out, it doesn't look promising that the drought will end next year, either. I'm definitely experiencing a fatigue of some sort.

Edit: Maybe I put too much emphasis on the NCAA Tournament, but IMO it's what college basketball is all about.

My expectations definitely seem to be higher. Right or wrong, it's how I feel.

Mine are pretty low. Sweet 16 every 2 decades. The season doesn't matter in basketball. No one cares. It's like baseball. You can check the fishwrap once a week or so and be informed. Nothing matters in baseball until October. And nothing matters in hoops other than March.

The NCAA tournament is the ultimate sporting event in this country. I just want to see a decent run once every two decades. I don't give a shit if they finish ranked 22nd or 9th or get an 11 seed. All I want is to stare down a few giants (or even not so giants) and beat them in games that bring major excitement. Beating Wisconsin in a game that takes 26 minutes to play the final minute doesn't exactly get the motor running.

And while the NCAA tournament is the ultimate event, the ultimate season belongs to NCAA football, where an Ohio State-Iowa game draws attention because 30 million people want Iowa to win to give their team a shot at the elusive 4th spot. Or an LSU-Bama game has playoff implications in October.

it's going to be years before I get the sight of OR attacking our rim at will and he unfortunately played a big part in that too.

It's the same shit all the time. Of course I'll still watch, but whether it's Carson Palmer or Christian McCaffery carving up our defense, Ronnie Harmon fumbling 4 times, or Oregon or Tayshaun Prince going Phi Slama Jama on us, postseason games that matter where we get a full effort out of the other team pretty much always end in embarrassment for Iowa. We'll rack up some bowl wins as other teams have guys opt out or go into knee protection mode immediately upon seeing we are there to play, but I ain't counting on ever winning anything of substance.

It's the same shit all the time. Of course I'll still watch, but whether it's Carson Palmer or Christian McCaffery carving up our defense, Ronnie Harmon fumbling 4 times, or Oregon or Tayshaun Prince going Phi Slama Jama on us, postseason games that matter where we get a full effort out of the other team pretty much always end in embarrassment for Iowa. We'll rack up some bowl wins as other teams have guys opt out or go into knee protection mode immediately upon seeing we are there to play, but I ain't counting on ever winning anything of substance.
It is the same shit all the time, but like, you and I can't control all that. I don't think there's some magic coach we can hire that will solve it all either. I don't think we're just 1 hire away from being elite in everything every season. I just don't and I don't rule with some iron fist as a fan where only excellence will be allowed. I'm an Iowa fan, I am used to it. Iowa wins a lot more than it loses in it's 2 major sports and that gives me enjoyment as a fan. The day I stop being interested in winning more than losing I'll probably just not watch anymore.

The program has life under Fran. The program is mostly competitive outside of any team that jumps and runs us out of the gym. Iowa has been making NCAA tourney of late under Fran at a decent clip. He rebuilt a dead program from Alford/Lickliter.

I bag on Fran, but I do think he is doing enough to stay here right now. But, I also think progress has stalled under Fran since his first few years. The rebuild was a steady progression, but he has not able to do anything beyond that in terms of championships and deep runs in the NCAAs. He was unable to get passed the first weekend with his best team to date in year 11.

I agree with Fry that ultimately life will go on whether Iowa makes deep runs or not. It is entertainment for most of us. But I also think that those who invest money in tickets (for sure) merchandise (to a way, way lesser degree) can also vote with their dollars. If the product is shit and if the greater public does not want to buy it, eventually it will have an effect on leadership within a program.

Again, personally I think Iowa historically as a program (just go back to Lute, George, Tom for example) Iowa should really be a fixture in the NCAA tournament most years. I think 3 out of 4 or 5 years is not to much to ask. I also think a Sweet 16 run (or a Big Ten Championship of some sort) or better at lease once a decade is not asking that much either.

I think Fran is passing one metric right now and is failing at the other (top end success).

Since Iowa is not a blue-blood, I don't think you can cut ties with a guy who is keeping the program NCAA bound. But, I also don't think you tie that said coach down to a long contract if they also can't provide some sort of top end success. That is why I was for and still am a shorter extension and see how things go.

Although it was disappointing and Fran did not pass the top end success metric here this year, I can live with that more than Barta's premature contract.

That is the only thing that makes me the most mad after the conclusion of this tournament. A top end extension for slightly above average results.

We're definitely relevant.
With relevancy comes higher expectations.
With higher expectations comes disappointment.

This is where we are.
Not all together good, but not all together bad.

This season was very enjoyable for me, but IMO, it was an over all disappointment. I had a bar of the sweet 16 and Iowa fell short. That said, doesn't mean I am gonna watch less. It was one of the better regular seasons in 20+ years. That has me wanting more. Fran puts a really nice product on the floor and every year I am pretty proud to be a Hawkeye. I'll never quit watching. Go Hawks EVERY DAY ALL DAY.

That said, Iowa ultimately had a pretty big let down of a year. It's ok to admit. I want to see them be better.
Yes.

It’s possible to be disappointed and not want to burn the house down, which is what many here want to do.

Do that and pretty soon you’re writing paychecks every month to Bo Pelini, Mike Riley, Scott Frost, Sean Eichorst, and Bill Moos all at the same time—when only two of those people actually come to work everyday—and you’re actually winning fewer games than when you started your house fire.

Amazing how a day after can heal some of the wounds. Bowlsby tried to show us he had the answer when he got rid of Mr. Davis.........the last time we made the Sweet 16.

Yes.

It’s possible to be disappointed and not want to burn the house down, which is what many here want to do.

Do that and pretty soon you’re writing paychecks every month to Bo Pelini, Mike Riley, Scott Frost, Sean Eichorst, and Bill Moos all at the same time—when only two of those people actually come to work everyday—and you’re actually winning fewer games than when you started your house fire.
I'm hoping Fran stays another 4 years or so, then when it's getting close to him retiring, both sides know when that's going to happen and they are both fine with Fran either leaving a year early when the right coach is found or waiting a year or so longer until the right coach is found. I think that was kinda what happened with Davis. Iowa thought they found the right coach so they pushed Davis out a bit early. That's the way it should be done. If Fran wants to leave in 2026 but we find a perfect hire in 2024, make the move. If we can't find our guy in 2026, Fran stays another year. All of that of course being done in secrecy as to not effect recruiting. The good news is we've already been a pretty good program for almost a decade now. When it's time to move on, we should be an attractive job.

Yes.

Yes.

Not me. It's possible to voice your frustration with a lack of postseason success without thinking the coach should be fired. I'm not seeing anyone calling for a coaching change.

Let me be clear - I am not calling for Fran's head. I simply would like a freaking Sweet 16 or better.

It was tough on all of us Hawk fans this season. The expectations were over the moon after the first couple of ratings hit the media. Clearly, that was not just a rare event for Hawk basketball; it was a virtually non existent experience. As games went by, expectations actually went up. For us fans, that was a dangerous cliff. And we had some falls along the way in the conference race. I speak only for myself, but would wager I had some company when it came to individual games: They became more difficult to watch and enjoy because, I think, that set of expectations ruled the day.

I really loved this team, warts and all. I think they worked very hard to live up to expectations possibly beyond their God given talents. Luka alone was such a joy! The unselfishness on this team, the brotherhood, the devotion to Fran and his staff, the discipline to proceed through the pandemic. Wow.

Now, we focus on next season. I look forward to watching the growth of the next Iowa team. New ups, new downs, and I will likely be back in CHA with all of my bald and blue haired friends. Look ahead and quit your damned fussing about the past. I really don’t care about how many years it’s been since a conference title, since a sweet 16, or how long since we beat somebody or other on the road. Next year, like most of you, we want to play better defense, find guys who can attack the basket, score a lot of points, and shoot for a chance at the BT title. (And I don’t give a shit about what Gary Barta does or doesn’t do.)

For Iowa to be Elite Eight, Final Four, conference championship winning relevant, they are going to have to find the right up and comer, even if he bolts for a greener pasture in four or five years. Lute was a classic example.

With a destination coach like Fran or Mr. Davis, you are going to get high character players (especially with Fran) who will get you into the round of 32 but probably not much further considering how difficult a recruiting sell it is to get the requisite athletes to commit here.

There are job openings in the conference. Alabama just extended Nate Oats so he is probably off the list but I can't believe Minnesota didn't go after Eric Musselman, who's dad once coached there. Eric can flat out coach. He took Nevada to within a buzzer beater of the Elite Eight in 2018 and will take Arkansas at least that far in this tournament in only his second year on the job.

Arkansas hasn't extended him yet. If I'm Indiana I'm big time interested. Eric is an Ohio native. That last Ohio native Indiana hired worked out pretty good for them. Hell, Bobby Knight and Bill Musselman were high school rivals in Ohio, so there is a connection there as well.

Porter Moser could be available soon. He would be PERFECT for Northwestern if they think Chris Collins has maxed out.

This would be bad, bad news for Iowa. Big time trouble for Fran if Moser and Musselman are in this conference. Another coach to keep an eye on is USC's Andy Enfield. Could you imagine him bringing "Dunk City" to the B1G?

I thought, as I did last year, that Lukapalooza was the equivalent of 2008 Shonn Greene, the type of player that would give you a chance to win any given game. I was wrong. We needed not one but two starters who's primary job was to feed the post. And while JBo could heat up from distance on occasion we were giving up some offense and a ton of defense to start both of them. Wies played the Robin to Garza's Batman, but he could be a defensive liability.

We will be more athletic next year, and if Nunge can somehow stay healthy we will improve defense in the post. We will need both. I see teams like Arkansas, Oregon, USC and Alabama and can't believe the athleticism. Or the defensive intensity of a team like Loyola.

Last edited:
What this season accomplished for me is it made every single game must see TV for me, which is the whole point of watching sports.
Well said. I tuned in every game to see my home town boy Weezy. Trust me that loss to Oregon was crushing for him and his teammates. I hope Joe comes back for his senior year. I think he will. He seems to be the type of kid who likes finish what he started. I enjoyed every game they played because the season was a Covid outbreak waiting to bring the whole thing to a crash and burn disaster. I'm looking forward to next year already. Go Hawks

It was a good year that has been clouded, perhaps unfairly, by our collective anxiety in having precious few program accomplishments in the last 20 years. Alford won a couple Big Ten tournaments (one of which was definitely a Cinderella type situation) and the other one, while impressive at the time, sure seems fleeting in hindsight.

Fran is a good coach but, I'll say again, probably not a great coach. He runs a spotless program and gives every appearance of treating his players like they are his own kids (though a couple of them ARE his own kids!). We haven't found the next Lute, but we aren't being pulled to the bottom of the ocean on the SS Todd Lickliter, either.

And now, the rebuilding begins. A roster full of some interesting projects at varying degrees of development and upside that can likely be developed into a top half Big Ten team - if not this next year, perhaps the year after. I think that's life as an Iowa basketball fan. It could be much worse, but glory and recognition on the national level is likely to remain out of reach.

The team was a lot of fun to watch and provided a desperately needed distraction during some trying times. I'll be telling my grandkids about Luka Garza someday. I've never seen a Hawk like him in my lifetime (I'm too young to really remember Marble).

Perhaps we can hope for a "Fran 2.0" like what we've seen on the football side. Again, I think Fran is a good coach - maybe even "very good" - but he, like all of us, has strengths and weaknesses. The man can coach offense for sure, but we have consistently struggled on defense over the years. The safe assumption would be that's just an "it is what it is" kind of thing, but who knows.

We were a good team that came away from the season without much to show for it. We're definitely not alone there, I think it just stings a little bit more for us because the lack of program success we've had over the last couple decades and we were all hoping this would be the year.
This
The key is the kids that play for the Hawks are hard workers and they finish school. That's all it matters.

I enjoyed the piss out of this SEASON. I spent the entire off season salivating for it to start. My elation continued as my FIFTH RATED HAWKEYES largely played like a Team worthy of their high ranking. It dipped a bit as they stumbled some and fell in the rankings, BUT WAIT, they didn't keep pissing down their leg all the way out of the rankings (like before) they fought their way right back up to 5TH PLACE right to the end of the regular season!

Did it end like I dreamt it would? Unfortunately no, it's Hawkeye BB and I am used to the best laid plans falling apart. Always we can figure on a key player or 2 being taken out of the equation before or during the season. First It was CJF. He may have had a few decent moments after his injury, but he was a shell of the player he was before it. Then NUNGE goes down for the count. He was a HUGE part of our plans down the stretch run! And even though many like to dis on CMAC, his fade wasn't without reason so it seems, and he had been a bigger contributor than most will admit.

That is THREE key ingredients the team was basically without at crunch time. That changed the dynamics of this team and effectively dropped them from a legit top 10 team to probably a top 25. I feel bad for for the TEAM. They put all they had into giving us all a sweet (16 or better) ending, and no one feels worse than them. I don't blame them, I'm not about to dump on the coaching staff either that put us in the position we were in.

So the season ENDED on a downer. That sucks, but it doesn't erase all the fun I had up to that point. If one is going to base their satisfaction on simply how well they do in the NCAA, then you may as well wait until then to start watching them play since the entire rest of the season means nothing at all. That tourney is a bitch! And it has gotten harder than ever to move on. Lots and lots of "favorites" watching the rest of the tourney on tv.

I am already looking forward to next year. Go Hawks!

We built this season up and so did the national media. That's what hurts, it's hearing the naysayers on national tv bash us again. I think coaches respect Fran but the national media is harsh. The overachieving early led many of us to expect too much. I think finishing third in the conference was great and the win against Wincy cemented us as a good team. Just wish we had put on a better show in the tourney. Watching the Baylor kid with his hip pointer beat Rutgers was kind of the performance I wanted to see from Iowa. All the upperclassman except Garza going out without a fight hurt. I think Iowa's season was really killed by injury. Nunge, JW's ankle, CJ's legs, and Conner hurt as well. Just too much for the team to overcome. A lot of bad luck which is something Iowa is used to.

We didn't accomplish anything. What they accomplished was that, regardless of what we think, they brought the fanbase to another level. Let's be honest, are we happy about the end result...No. But the fact is that any other year this type of exit wouldn't have stung because there were zero expectations and no one really expected them to make a run.

Whether they shit themselves or played against a team that was that much better is irrelevant. The fact is that Iowa Basketball is back to a place where we as a fanbase are passionate about the program and actually care. We may never appreciate it, because of the way it ended and the disappointment it left us with, but the fact is the biggest accomplishment this program made is the fact that we actually care and and hurt by the early exit.

Last edited:
This year reminds me of the FB year after our Orange Bowl win (Stanzi, Clayborn, et al).

Lot of hype. Both fan-base-generated and national.

At the end of the year, it was a decent year, but so much was underachieved (if you believe the newspaper clippings).