After a bad nights sleep perspective

longtimer

The negatives Of course the turnovers especially the really bad one on the punt return. What was he thinking? It happens. The other fumble on the return also cost us as I think we could drive for some points just before half and get momentum. Those 2 were probably the difference. I would have liked to see us throw more on first down and on the goal line. We have been very good throwing on the goal line and ended up blowing scoring opportunities. Didn't do a real good job on first down on defense. They had a lot of 2nd and 2s and that's tough to get off the field. Maybe should have used our linebackers to put more pressure on QB WE DID'NT WIN a game that maybe should have!

The positives: Great crowd. As good a college atmosphere as there is especially at night. Has to impress potential recruits. I thought Stanley played well. Made some tough throws without turning it over until the last one which was under impossible situation. He made some great long throws and I remember a great first down throw after he was flushed and running to the sidelines. He played well enough to win. I thought our run game was pretty good and the offensive line played pretty well Was Stanley sacked? As I said I thought we needed to throw on first down more but that bomb to Hoekensen on 3rd and 2 from mid field was a great gutsy call. We played hard from beginning to end.

Who called that stupid play at the end? Why would we do that when the game was over? Lucky someone didnt get hurt!

This team IMHO is capable of beating anyone left on the schedule including Penn State and is also capable of losing to just about anyone left on the schedule. I have to say if they play as well and hard as they did last night I am going to enjoy watching them for the remainder of the year

ps Wisconsin has our numbr

I'm as frustrated with the loss as anybody. Every game has its "What ifs," but this game had way more than most. It's tough to lose a game that is right within your grasp, especially in that fashion.

But, after I got over the initial emotional (over)reaction, I realized that the team I watched last night was light years better than the team I watched get abused in Madison. The defense may have struggled more, but, we have to keep in mind that Wisconsin has an amazing combination of a large veteran offensive line and arguably the best RB in the country. That combination affords Hornibrook to have the luxury of probably the most effective play-action options of any team in the country. On top of that, they were coming off a loss and highly motivated. All things considered, the defense held up well, IMO.

I've been hard on the offensive line, but, to give credit where credit is due, that unit played the best game it has played the last two years, and, yes, that includes the OSU game. The players got push and they sustained blocks. I was proud of them. Fans are going to harp on the play-calling, but, I try to reign myself in there. A lot of that is hindsight. Take the failed QB sneak for example. If Brian had called play-action and it failed, fans would be all over him for not keeping it simple, or, if he had called a run and the handoff was fumbled, fans would have been screaming that he should have called the sneak.

That said, I said to my father-in-law right before the play that - whether they converted or not - I would have gone for the FG. It was the kind of game where points were at a premium and you can't take a chance at not coming away with points in that situation. The only other play call that I openly questioned was the jet sweep to Sargent. That's not a play that fits his skill set at all. Ill-conceived and poorly executed.

I'm not happy at all about the game, but I'm going to let the rest of the season play out before calling for coach's heads.

some of my thoughts:

terribly disappointed because iowa was the better team for most of that game minus PR turnovers.

wildly inconsistent team within the same game: both player execution and coach execution (ie. game plan/adjustments) -- from great plays to what the ...

i said we need to kick the fg on first drive to five. a TD there isn't going to get the Badgers to lie. a FG rewards your team and gets the zero off the board. i don't think it was a bad call, just not one i would have called.

the QB sneak on 4th and 1 after a minute play review. that's a bad call.

we go through long spells of not targeting our TEs. i don't understand. when that happens, drives stall quickly. if that is opponent double teaming both TEs, then someone else has to be open.

stanley was very good at times; he made Wisconsin pay for stacking the box.
but then a wide open receiver 25 yards down field is overthrown by 5 yards.

the bend-but-don't break philosophy is ok for most of the game against most teams, phil threw in some blitzes, but i'm tired of this philosophy giving up game winning TDs late in the 4Q.

when Wisconsin sends in 7OL and Iowa is in a 4-3, yep, they're going to get rushing yards. i'd be interested to know how many plays the Badgers ran with 7 big ugglies. it seemed to be a substantial percentage of their plays -- especially in the red zones.

same-ol' same ol' with a LB covering a WR. if the coaching staff is telling fans in pre-season about using a third safety in a nickel package, then do it. just like we were told Wadley and Butler could see a lot of time together on the field last season. it you're going to talk about it, do it. otherwise, don't talk about it.

Iowa's offense pushed around Wisconsin's defense all game ... and still scored only 17 points.

this team played an incomplete game but should have won. there are no praises for 'should have' -- but i do believe this team will get better and if/when they can figure it out....

Stanley sucked in the 4th quarter. This team is going nowhere with him at qb. No consistency, accuracy will always be an issue with him, and his checks at the line are brutal. That was one of the worst Wisconsin teams we've played in a while last night, at home in prime time, and KF and crew shit the bed again.

After a night's sleep I still wonder when Iowa is going to grow up and make the plays to win in the Big Games that matter that take you to the next level in a National Spotlight game. That is the difference between Iowa and Wisconsin right now. Sure, Kirk will pull a rabbit out of his hat frequently and beat a team he is not suppose to beat when playing for a championship is not on the table. To me, that is the most frustrating thing.

You have all of this fan support and everything going for you. You have an insane night environment. The schedule lays out fairly well. All you have to do is get that one stop, or hang on to the ball, or have D1 instincts on what is going on on the field, play to win, scratch where it itches, etc.

Then, the program screws the pooch in nearly every area. That is why we get the Fake ID label. If this program ever got its crap together for entire season that would be a first.

I'm as frustrated with the loss as anybody. Every game has its "What ifs," but this game had way more than most. It's tough to lose a game that is right within your grasp, especially in that fashion.

But, after I got over the initial emotional (over)reaction, I realized that the team I watched last night was light years better than the team I watched get abused in Madison. The defense may have struggled more, but, we have to keep in mind that Wisconsin has an amazing combination of a large veteran offensive line and arguably the best RB in the country. That combination affords Hornibrook to have the luxury of probably the most effective play-action options of any team in the country. On top of that, they were coming off a loss and highly motivated. All things considered, the defense held up well, IMO.

I've been hard on the offensive line, but, to give credit where credit is due, that unit played the best game it has played the last two years, and, yes, that includes the OSU game. The players got push and they sustained blocks. I was proud of them. Fans are going to harp on the play-calling, but, I try to reign myself in there. A lot of that is hindsight. Take the failed QB sneak for example. If Brian had called play-action and it failed, fans would be all over him for not keeping it simple, or, if he had called a run and the handoff was fumbled, fans would have been screaming that he should have called the sneak.

That said, I said to my father-in-law right before the play that - whether they converted or not - I would have gone for the FG. It was the kind of game where points were at a premium and you can't take a chance at not coming away with points in that situation. The only other play call that I openly questioned was the jet sweep to Sargent. That's not a play that fits his skill set at all. Ill-conceived and poorly executed.

I'm not happy at all about the game, but I'm going to let the rest of the season play out before calling for coach's heads.

I don't think this Iowa team is that much better. This Wisconsin team was that much worse than last year. They lost almost their entire defense, plus had 2 starters that didn't play. They are a shell of the team they were last year. Their secondary was awful and we still couldn't muster up 250 yards passing.

Outside of not kicking the FG on 4th and 1 and the draw on 3rd and 6 I don't have issues with play-calling.

My issues are that Iowa can't figure out how to beat Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a very good program who has taken advantage of playing in a weak division. But they're not Ohio St. Iowa should be able to beat them and they can't. To me thats weak coaching. The SP fumble in the 2nd half was a prime example of poor coaching.

For those that think we should have kicked a field goal because points are at a premium in that game, why are you so willing to give up 4 points? If points are important, don't we need 4 extra points there? Settling for an attempt at 3 points isn't a great strategy in a game where points are at a premium. Great call to go for it. Not a great play call. But not a bad one either. If a qb can't get a yard on a sneak because the oline got blown up so bad, how is a running back going to get a yard? By the time he got the ball, the defense would have been so far in the backfield we would have lost 3 yards.

For those that think we should have kicked a field goal because points are at a premium in that game, why are you so willing to give up 4 points? If points are important, don't we need 4 extra points there? Settling for an attempt at 3 points isn't a great strategy in a game where points are at a premium. Great call to go for it. Not a great play call. But not a bad one either. If a qb can't get a yard on a sneak because the oline got blown up so bad, how is a running back going to get a yard? By the time he got the ball, the defense would have been so far in the backfield we would have lost 3 yards.

Well that early in the game is he time to take a chance but the coaches had to also know possessions would be minimized.

I like taking the FG there after we showed a quick QB sneak attempt, then the replay official stopped the action and let Wisky have a minute plus to prepare for that 4th down.

You dont know how the rest of the game would play out but if, IF Iowa had that early FG and was down only 21-20 with 57 seconds left then you can play to get at least a 50+ yard try for the win.

Totally agree. I didn’t have a problem with them going for it or the call itself. You figure you can get enough of a push up front, along with having a 240 lbs. quarterback to get that long yard.

Maybe you go 4 wide to get people out of the box and then you sneak it. Other than maybe going that route I had no issues with the call.

You make some very good points, DieHard. I especially agree with the second guessing of the play calling. Sure, there were a couple of head-scratching calls but I thought BF did a pretty good job of mixing it up. And we saw some new things. The shovel pass to Ross that went to the 1-yard line was a great call. No one bitches about it because it worked. Not every play call is going to work, that's the nature of the beast. I think this team is much better than last years and there is a legitimate chance to win 10 games. IMO, we lost last night because of the special teams mistakes, plain and simple.

Well that early in the game is he time to take a chance but the coaches had to also know possessions would be minimized.

I like taking the FG there after we showed a quick QB sneak attempt, then the replay official stopped the action and let Wisky have a minute plus to prepare for that 4th down.

You dont know how the rest of the game would play out but if, IF Iowa had that early FG and was down only 21-20 with 57 seconds left then you can play to get at least a 50+ yard try for the win.
Totally agree.

If points are a premium then you get sure points when you can get them.

But like I said, I don’t think it’s s bad call to go for it; I think a QB sneak is a bad call from the one.

If that’s a good call then everyone would do QB sneaks from the one. Everyone doesn’t and it’s rarely ever done.

You make some very good points, DieHard. I especially agree with the second guessing of the play calling. Sure, there were a couple of head-scratching calls but I thought BF did a pretty good job of mixing it up. And we saw some new things. The shovel pass to Ross that went to the 1-yard line was a great call. No one bitches about it because it worked. Not every play call is going to work, that's the nature of the beast. I think this team is much better than last years and there is a legitimate chance to win 10 games. IMO, we lost last night because of the special teams mistakes, plain and simple.
This

Totally agree.

But like I said, I don’t think it’s s bad call to go for it; I think a QB sneak is a bad call from the one.

If that’s a good call then everyone would do QB sneaks from the one. Everyone doesn’t and it’s rarely ever done.

You have to roll out there and fake the dive up the middle. Hell, even a hard count attempt might have worked.

Totally agree.

I talked to my son and a friend who watched on tv and they said that was 4th down a 4 feet plus to go. Hard to qb sneak there. Personnally I think the spot on 3rd down that was reviewed that the ball was down at the five was a bad review as IKM's butt hit at the 5 and the ball was at least at the 4.5 yard line big difference

Playcalling sucks after they don't work and a brilliant when they do. The overthrown pass was a terrible call even though there wasn't a soul in the same area code as the TE. It's just as bad as a sneak that doesn't gain the yardage needed. One more truth, playcalling is always better if you win.

Totally agree.

If the definition of a good call is everyone doing it every time, there is no such thing as a good call.