“Iowa just doesn’t have quite the appeal we’re used to.â€￾

Les Miles always reminds me of Gene Hackman. I just can't shake it.

gnhckmn.jpg

images

images

But which one is Gene Hackman?

I think his point is that if this game were played in Iowa City on January 1st, such a temp/wind chill combo would be possible.
Then his point was stupid because Iowa isn't playing in Baton Rouge in a couple weeks. And it's not like Iowa isn't going to be practicing inside a warm practice facility or in Florida for all 15 practices leading up to the game.

Things haven't changed all that much.

Iowa will win if... its fantastic linebacking corps keeps the LSU running game from rolling. Tiger QBs Marcus Randall and JaMarcus Russell have been decent when they've had to be, and Randall was brilliant in the regular-season finale against Arkansas, but the passing game can't win on its own. LSU's offense needs to run to win, so Chad Greenway, Abdul Hodge, Jonathan Babineaux, and the rest of the Hawkeye defensive front seven must be a rock and come up with several big plays. Good field position is going to be a must.

LSU will win if... it wins the turnover battle. Iowa needs breaks to win, but it usually creates those breaks with the great play of the defense. Fourth in the nation in turnover margin and first in takeaways with 31, Iowa will be looking to force mistakes. This is an average Hawkeye team away from home that will have a hard time winning if it doesn't have at least a +2 in turnovers.
What will happen: Iowa is hard to pick against because its wins usually defy logic, but LSU is a tough draw for a team with a limited offense. The Tiger defense is every bit as good as the Iowa D, and even better in the secondary. LSU will come up with just enough offense while the defense will keep Drew Tate from performing his normal magic. It'll be a miracle if Iowa gains more than 50 yards rushing.

Line: LSU -6.5 ...

Then his point was stupid because Iowa isn't playing in Baton Rouge in a couple weeks. And it's not like Iowa isn't going to be practicing inside a warm practice facility or in Florida for all 15 practices leading up to the game.

I believe his point is that you need to construct your team differently to win in adverse weather conditions. To win late-season games in the Big Ten you need to be able to play ugly: run the ball, stop the run, all that boring stuff. It is just too difficult to have success throwing 30+ times per game when the wind is howling, the ball is hard and slick, and the receivers hands are frozen. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Big Ten's best bowl showing in recent memory (2009) coincided with a record cold-snap and some all-around nasty weather in the south. Penn State (win vs LSU), Wisconsin (win vs. Miami), Iowa (win vs. Georgia Tech), and even Northwestern (OT loss to Auburn) all looked very comfortable slogging through the mud and the cold.

like most cfb fans, there is a lot of delusion. Fans remember their high water mark (NC's or 11 win seasons) and they belive that is sea level. Anything less is a disapointment. So LSU fans still glowing fter 2 NCs should not surprise anyone.

Ironicly lots of success can take the fun out of it for a lot of fans when you are below the high water mark.

I would much rather live in iowa (and have), than live in that arm pit state LA. What a poor hell hole.

Really?? You really had to go there? I could say something stupid like " I would much rather live in cajun country than Farmerville hicktown of Iowa" but I didn't go there, because I respect Iowa and it's football program.....and MOST of their fans. In the words of Les Miles "Have a nice day!" HawksMN.

#34 vs. #16....I can't say I blame anyone for thinking #16 should win handily.

That said...it'd be nice to make a dent in the current perception of the B1G

Go Hawks

Hawks MN... Not cool, man. We've got our problems down here, but things are improving overall...strong economy, fantastic, unique culture, improving race relations, beautiful, interesting people that match the architecture, great food and exciting football. We aren't all Duck Dynasty or Swamp People, dude. Also, A Baton Rouge suburb was recently named as second in a list of the most booming economic areas in the country.

in all fairness, I have never been to Batton Rouge. I have been to NOLA, Kenner, Shreveport, Boiser City, Monroe, Coushota, Mansfield. I was 26ish, far from home, and homesick. As a bank examiner I found a lot of bankers there to be completely disinterested in compliance with laws and regulations. Some were downright crooks, except at the larger institutions in Shereveport.

in all fairness, I have never been to Batton Rouge. I have been to NOLA, Kenner, Shreveport, Boiser City, Monroe, Coushota, Mansfield. I was 26ish, far from home, and homesick. As a bank examiner I found a lot of bankers there to be completely disinterested in compliance with laws and regulations. Some were downright crooks, except at the larger institutions in Shereveport.

Corruption in Louisiana ?!?! Say it ain't so!!!

Allow me to introduce you to Huey Long, Edwin Edwards, Ray Nagin, etc.

Hawks MN... Not cool, man. We've got our problems down here, but things are improving overall...strong economy, fantastic, unique culture, improving race relations, beautiful, interesting people that match the architecture, great food and exciting football. We aren't all Duck Dynasty or Swamp People, dude. Also, A Baton Rouge suburb was recently named as second in a list of the most booming economic areas in the country.

Here are some facts on Louisiana that I found. Sad that you consider this an improvement.

Obesity rate- 8th highest

Median household income- 7th lowest

% below poverty line- 3rd highest

Only about 80% of adults have a high school diploma.

Also rank near the bottom of adults with associates, bachelors or professional degrees.

HawksMN wasn't that far off on his assessment of LA.

But at least, as you said, you have exciting football.

I guess after losing 2 in a row and three of their last 4 LSU should feel entitled to play someone with the "appeal" that they're used to. I guess I should be disappointed we're not playing a team that's recently played well in January.

I really can't argue with the quote, "Iowa just doesn't have quite the appeal we are used to." Iowa really doesn't have a lot of wow-factor.

But I just got a feeling that Iowa will give lsu one helluva game.

Well if we can launch Kirk Ferentz 3.0 and make it last more than 3 years, the hawks will have a lot more sizzle.

If you guys think ESPN has the pulse of Tiger Nation, that is wrong.
We do not take you guys lightly. This is a pick'em game for me.

Latest posts