Adjustments moving forward

We all know our offense is struggling, and specifically in the inability to run the ball. We also see Brian run a lot of different formations, all with pretty much the same result. So why is that?

Thinking a out it, this is what I came up with. We all know Nate cant run, so we automatically know we are minus 1 on athletes on the field. Considering everyone runs 4 and sometimes 3 defensive lineman against out 5 offensive lineman, we are down another 1 and possibly 2 more athletes. Then when we run I formation, we are down another athlete, because whether we give the ball to Brady or not, he is no threat at all either running or catching a pass out of the backfield. Also, when we play either Weiting or Beyer or both, we are pretty much down more athletes because every linebacker in the big ten can cover them even if they catch it.

So let's say we run 21 personnel, with brady, weiting and take your pick between goodson, Sargent or young. That gives us 2 wr, and take your pick between ISM, Smith, Nico, Martin, etc. The defense knows from the get-go to not bite on play action at all costs. I am sure they are coached to not even worry about the action because the front 7 will clean it up. And just about every big ten team will. Make sure there is a safety over the top, play man or press coverage on our only 2 wideouts, which now leaves Nate having to throw to 2 receivers when 4 are covering them. Now for the front 7. You don't worry about wieting or Ross, you only key on getting to the running back. If Nate runs play action, it doesn't matter, you will take out the qb on the way to the running back. The front 7 really has no coverage accountability, so they can just rush the gaps on pretty much every play.

So let's say we get cute and throw to the TE. Again, neither weiting nor beyer can beat the linebackers, especially on the upper half big ten teams. That minimal gain is not worth throwing into traffic in the middle of the field. Let's say Nate throws to Ross coming out of the backfield. How far is he going to get, really? He will be converged on before he gets to the line of scrimmage. The swing outs to the only play making back you have in there don't work because everyone is keying on them. So at the end of all of it, we may as well March out 7 offensive lineman.

So then we spread it out, take the back out of the backfield. Now you are a spread team with no running qb. The defensive lineman have no pocket containment responsibilities so they can just rush out tackles on either side, things they cant do against a running threat. Leaves two plays, which are our most successful plays in the delayed draw to catch the defensive ends rushing out wide, and the running back screen, penalizing the defense for over pursuing. But without a running qb, now you are having 2 guys do the job that 1 can do with the elite teams, which makes you give up an athlete and you 1 extra to throw into coverage against.

So what do we do about it? We know Nate isn't going to run, so have to take that off the board. But, we give that guy time to throw, he can make the defenses pay. So three things:

1. Ready or not, replace wieting and beyer with LaPorta. He is by far the best weapon we have at tight end even though we have seen so little of him. But we have seen enough. He showed to be a tough cover for Northwesterns good linebackers and he is a mismatch against defensive backs due to his height.

2. Motion, motion, motion. Motion every play. With multiple people. Motion LaPorta, ISM, Nico, Goodson, sargent, everyone. Move your weapons around and make the defense think and not be so one dimensional.

3. The most important. Replace Ross with Toren. Toren is our bruiser back right? So what he isn't 250. He can block right? He is a running back, he can take hits, he can pick up blitzes, he can deliver a blow. Do it in the hole instead of in the backfield. Give him the ball and let him run. Pair him with Goodson, now the defense has to think. Toren can gash you for 20 up the gut while you have to account for Goodson in the flat, on the wheel or in between the tackles with Toren leading the way. Motion either of the..out of the backfield, the defense has to account for them both. Do this a lot.

Do those three things, I think we open our offense up for more one on one matchups, slow down the pass rush, make the safeties think about coming into the box all while matching their athletes with our athletes.

What do you all think?

Thoughts:

1. You mention the fullback in I formation but even when Nate is under center we dont always have a fullback.

2. Your thought #3 for dual backs is a good one and I have been asking that for years. Young doesnt even have to be a fullback. Two backs in the backfield can be split, they could both be fast. You can send them both out on swing passes right at the snap and if the other team has a linebacker not pick them up then a good gain and a threat to make defenses not blitz.

3. I like the motion but the problem with doing a lot of motion and shifting is many times the hawks do not have time when they break huddle to get the snap off. If they went to a bit of hurry up they could do this and it would be good for nate to read the pass coverage, etc

Here is one for you. The way the hawks push back defenses on QB sneaks maybe they should power block straight ahead with double teams and some pulling linemen.

We all know our offense is struggling, and specifically in the inability to run the ball. We also see Brian run a lot of different formations, all with pretty much the same result. So why is that?

Thinking a out it, this is what I came up with. We all know Nate cant run, so we automatically know we are minus 1 on athletes on the field. Considering everyone runs 4 and sometimes 3 defensive lineman against out 5 offensive lineman, we are down another 1 and possibly 2 more athletes. Then when we run I formation, we are down another athlete, because whether we give the ball to Brady or not, he is no threat at all either running or catching a pass out of the backfield. Also, when we play either Weiting or Beyer or both, we are pretty much down more athletes because every linebacker in the big ten can cover them even if they catch it.

So let's say we run 21 personnel, with brady, weiting and take your pick between goodson, Sargent or young. That gives us 2 wr, and take your pick between ISM, Smith, Nico, Martin, etc. The defense knows from the get-go to not bite on play action at all costs. I am sure they are coached to not even worry about the action because the front 7 will clean it up. And just about every big ten team will. Make sure there is a safety over the top, play man or press coverage on our only 2 wideouts, which now leaves Nate having to throw to 2 receivers when 4 are covering them. Now for the front 7. You don't worry about wieting or Ross, you only key on getting to the running back. If Nate runs play action, it doesn't matter, you will take out the qb on the way to the running back. The front 7 really has no coverage accountability, so they can just rush the gaps on pretty much every play.

So let's say we get cute and throw to the TE. Again, neither weiting nor beyer can beat the linebackers, especially on the upper half big ten teams. That minimal gain is not worth throwing into traffic in the middle of the field. Let's say Nate throws to Ross coming out of the backfield. How far is he going to get, really? He will be converged on before he gets to the line of scrimmage. The swing outs to the only play making back you have in there don't work because everyone is keying on them. So at the end of all of it, we may as well March out 7 offensive lineman.

So then we spread it out, take the back out of the backfield. Now you are a spread team with no running qb. The defensive lineman have no pocket containment responsibilities so they can just rush out tackles on either side, things they cant do against a running threat. Leaves two plays, which are our most successful plays in the delayed draw to catch the defensive ends rushing out wide, and the running back screen, penalizing the defense for over pursuing. But without a running qb, now you are having 2 guys do the job that 1 can do with the elite teams, which makes you give up an athlete and you 1 extra to throw into coverage against.

So what do we do about it? We know Nate isn't going to run, so have to take that off the board. But, we give that guy time to throw, he can make the defenses pay. So three things:

1. Ready or not, replace wieting and beyer with LaPorta. He is by far the best weapon we have at tight end even though we have seen so little of him. But we have seen enough. He showed to be a tough cover for Northwesterns good linebackers and he is a mismatch against defensive backs due to his height.

2. Motion, motion, motion. Motion every play. With multiple people. Motion LaPorta, ISM, Nico, Goodson, sargent, everyone. Move your weapons around and make the defense think and not be so one dimensional.

3. The most important. Replace Ross with Toren. Toren is our bruiser back right? So what he isn't 250. He can block right? He is a running back, he can take hits, he can pick up blitzes, he can deliver a blow. Do it in the hole instead of in the backfield. Give him the ball and let him run. Pair him with Goodson, now the defense has to think. Toren can gash you for 20 up the gut while you have to account for Goodson in the flat, on the wheel or in between the tackles with Toren leading the way. Motion either of the..out of the backfield, the defense has to account for them both. Do this a lot.

Do those three things, I think we open our offense up for more one on one matchups, slow down the pass rush, make the safeties think about coming into the box all while matching their athletes with our athletes.

What do you all think?

What do you all think?

Thoughts:

1. You mention the fullback in I formation but even when Nate is under center we dont always have a fullback.

2. Your thought #3 for dual backs is a good one and I have been asking that for years. Young doesnt even have to be a fullback. Two backs in the backfield can be split, they could both be fast. You can send them both out on swing passes right at the snap and if the other team has a linebacker not pick them up then a good gain and a threat to make defenses not blitz.

3. I like the motion but the problem with doing a lot of motion and shifting is many times the hawks do not have time when they break huddle to get the snap off. If they went to a bit of hurry up they could do this and it would be good for nate to read the pass coverage, etc

Here is one for you. The way the hawks push back defenses on QB sneaks maybe they should power block straight ahead with double teams and some pulling linemen.

I totally agree on your last point, there was a play on maybe it was Goodson's touchdown against Purdue where La Paulsen pulled and it is what made the hole. I was like, where has that been?

On the 2 backs, we just don't see it a lot. I agree with you, you could line them up however you want and being since they can all catch and run it would have to be effective. If Nate is under center and it's not the I formation, it's usually a single back and my point is still the same because the defense only has to flow to the direction of the back. If there was 2 backs they couldn't do that and that would have to slow down their rush.

On the motion, and maybe it is too much to change, but being since we pretty much established our playmakers and Brandon smith is hurt, and nobody will be able to hear anyway on the road at wisconsin, run the same personnel in different formations and call the play at the line of scrimmage. They can still work the play clock, just get set early. Wouldn't that be a change?!?. Lol.

The thing is I don’t think our running game has under performed with Goodson . For some odd reason he doesn’t get very many carries

Latest posts