Adam Woodbury now 7-1

There was an earlier comment about Thok being a player to develop. This seems to imply that Woodbury would be more of an early contributor. I disagree in the sense that they would both be development projects, yet would both contribute early in their careers. The fact is, Iowa is not a recruiting hotbed. But at the same time, imagine if we could get every player from the state. What might a roster look like: Gatens, May, Barnes, Cougill. Then later down the line: Paige, Oglesby, Uthoff, Jok, Woodbury, Thok. There is some serious talent around that the Hawks need to sign. As a program, Iowa Basketball cannot let Hoiberg win the immediate recruiting battles.

The fact is, recruits want to go to winning programs. If Iowa was a top 25 range team every year, I think we would have signed Jarrod Uthoff. My point is that while the progress I see with this Iowa team is noteworthy, we need to turn 'progress' into WINS. Iowa needs to win 17 games next year. How is that going to happen? I don't know- because we all know the Big10 will be stacked as always. We need to sign two more contributors for next year's squad to compete. I'm not the first to claim this, but if we could get a good Point and big man, we could compete.

My real point is that... I am scared of Iowa State and the possibility that 'The Mayor' will snatch up the big recruits... The reason i say this is because, what if Iowa struggles again next year? What if we have another 10 win season? I think Hoiberg has handcuffed together a pretty talented lineup. What if ISU makes the tourney? Where will Jok or Thok or whoever want to go? Iowa? and win 10 games a year? I don't think so.

We need to win with OUR recruits to win recruits. P.S. the new basketball facility shouldn't hurt.

Thok,Woodbury,Paige,Gesell,ect all will sign LOI's next November 15 before any games are played by Iowa or ISU next year. So calm your fears, this recruiting class will not be swayed by ISU's success on the court next year. Other teams success this year? Sure, but not ISU's. That is why the full court press is on for these recruits now,because often they make their decision by late spring or summer...and sign in November.

12.4 ppg. 8.5 rpg, and 4.6 bpg are not terrible stats. he could probably use a year of prep or a redshirt and will be a good D1 player. bigs take a little longer to develop.

Ideal scenario: Iowa gets a solid juco big man this year, and he shares center with Brommer next season,then Woody and Thok come to Iowa,and whichever is least ready could redshirt,while the other and the juco big could share center position...then the next 3 years Thok and Woody share it...just deaming out loud here.

12.4 ppg. 8.5 rpg, and 4.6 bpg are not terrible stats. he could probably use a year of prep or a redshirt and will be a good D1 player. bigs take a little longer to develop.

I saw him play once, and he was getting his shot blocked under the basket and was keeping his arms down in the lane on defense. Almost all of the time he was bent down at the waist, rather than the knees, which made him eye level with everyone else. Then again, I know nothing about HS BB. My boyfriend is a D-West alum, so I have seen him play once, and am going to see him again.

There was an earlier comment about Thok being a player to develop. This seems to imply that Woodbury would be more of an early contributor. I disagree in the sense that they would both be development projects, yet would both contribute early in their careers. The fact is, Iowa is not a recruiting hotbed. But at the same time, imagine if we could get every player from the state. What might a roster look like: Gatens, May, Barnes, Cougill. Then later down the line: Paige, Oglesby, Uthoff, Jok, Woodbury, Thok. There is some serious talent around that the Hawks need to sign. As a program, Iowa Basketball cannot let Hoiberg win the immediate recruiting battles.

The fact is, recruits want to go to winning programs. If Iowa was a top 25 range team every year, I think we would have signed Jarrod Uthoff. My point is that while the progress I see with this Iowa team is noteworthy, we need to turn 'progress' into WINS. Iowa needs to win 17 games next year. How is that going to happen? I don't know- because we all know the Big10 will be stacked as always. We need to sign two more contributors for next year's squad to compete. I'm not the first to claim this, but if we could get a good Point and big man, we could compete.

My real point is that... I am scared of Iowa State and the possibility that 'The Mayor' will snatch up the big recruits... The reason i say this is because, what if Iowa struggles again next year? What if we have another 10 win season? I think Hoiberg has handcuffed together a pretty talented lineup. What if ISU makes the tourney? Where will Jok or Thok or whoever want to go? Iowa? and win 10 games a year? I don't think so.

We need to win with OUR recruits to win recruits. P.S. the new basketball facility shouldn't hurt.

It is not possible for our roster to have Gatens,Woodbury,Thok, Paige or Jok on it unless Gatens redshirts.

It is not possible for our roster to have Gatens,Woodbury,Thok, Paige or Jok on it unless Gatens redshirts.
Hence his "later down the line" comment.

And I agree that it will be very interesting to see how Thok develops.

I never said our roster would have Gatens with those players all at once. I was hypothetically stating the two groups of names, the two groups of names would occur on our roster at different times. Note the "down the line" reference. Maybe you could finish reading the sentence before you comment on my errors.

To those that say the recruits I mentioned might be signing in November, that's fine I know. But my point was that the rise of Iowa basketball is going to have to occur in large part ON THE COURT before it happens on the recruiting trail. Or else a kid like Pete Jok (from my alma mater) will never want to be a hawkeye. We have to prove to recruits that we can compete

Latest posts