Adam Woodbury is a HAWKEYE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My God! What are you a 5'8" wannabe baller? Dunking, even for 7 footers, is not as easy as the NBA players make it look. Chris Kaman has had a nice run in the NBA. Didn't do a lot until his junior year at Central Michigan (hardly B1G caliber). Sven Nater had a 12-year NBA career; in college he was the backup for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and rarely played. Billy Paultz had a 15 year NBA career; works llege his junior year he was an 8pt/7reb guy. None of the three I mentioned were known for their dunks. All three were slow to develop in college. Kaman had the best college single season stats of all three during his junior year at 22pt/11reb (again in a mid-major conference).

The point is, Adam's got skills. He doesn't have hops. The three I mentioned were similar to Adam. And there are MANY more guys in the NBA who are big but aren't known for their dunking ability. There is more to the game than dunking the ball. Adam does a LOT of those other areas very well.

Billy Paultz "The Whopper" That's awesome I was a big fan of the San Antonio Spurs of the ABA. Billy couldn't jump but was a big thick guy with long Kevin McHale arms and similar game and he could rebound. Adams development will be the question. It might be this Summer or in 5 years or he just might always be built like Ralph Sampson. I hope he can get stronger and put in some weight. He works hard and seems like an awesome kid.

Last edited:
LMAO! Why is everybody so worried about Adam Woodbury going glass?? His finesse game is coming along nicely. Actually, it's coming along so nice that he's developing better touch from 5-10 feet and even from the line. He's a high percentage FG guy that obviously feels very comfortable using the backboard like every good post player is taught to do, and he's become a very efficient stat guy because of it. But yes, I get why all these people are so worried. And I totally agree: How do you maximize a youngster who has done a great job developing the skills he's displayed? Why you CHANGE IT of course!

I can hear Fran right now. "Adam, your job is to score effectively from the post in limited minutes. You're doing such a good job that we've decided you should stop doing it. Haven't you heard? Dunks SCARE opposing players!! Grrrrrrrr!" Woodbury replies, "Ummm, coach, isn't that what screwed up Melsahn??" Fran's response could be nothing other than, "Yes, he regressed to square one with production, but guess what he was still able to do? DUNK!!"

That was fun. Seriously though, my problem is how he brings the ball down almost instinctively. Olaseni does it too. White needs to smack both of them around and show them how it's done.

Some more Billy Paultz nostalgia. Attended the Iowa/ Arkansas NCAA game back in the eightie s in Salt Lake City. Iowa had among others on that team Todd Berkenpas. The game was at the Utah Field House (now the Huntsman Center). Was walking up to the front door and wlking towards me was the duo of Billy Paultz (6"11") and Mark Eaton who was, I think 7'4". I came up to about Eaton's chest. Certainly a big human being.
Among others playing the regional was Chris Mullen of St John's.

Eaton and Paultz were playing for the Jazz at that time. Our seats were right next to Frank Leyden who was either the coach or GM of the Jazz.

Some more Billy Paultz nostalgia. Attended the Iowa/ Arkansas NCAA game back in the eightie s in Salt Lake City. Iowa had among others on that team Todd Berkenpas. The game was at the Utah Field House (now the Huntsman Center). Was walking up to the front door and wlking towards me was the duo of Billy Paultz (6"11") and Mark Eaton who was, I think 7'4". I came up to about Eaton's chest. Certainly a big human being.
Among others playing the regional was Chris Mullen of St John's.

Eaton and Paultz were playing for the Jazz at that time. Our seats were right next to Frank Leyden who was either the coach or GM of the Jazz.

Mark Eaton was a guy the NBA should have cloned and put in the C position of all its teams lineups. He was tall, goofy and awesome.

Yes he is, and I used to think whether he threw it down all the time was about the dumbest thread talk ever right next to the moped sightings, but I'm starting to think there is some substance to it now. He has to go up stronger. If I was coach....I'd have him doing the Mikah (spelling) drill all day long until he couldn't anymore, with two little trainers from Carlisle an Hudson hitting him with blocking pads each time, requiring a dunk each time.

Dominating center.... no such thing in college basketball these days, it's a guards game and thas tha truf!!

As for my opinion on Woody. I think most have touched on it... the value he brings as the Defensive anchor is immeasurable. Earlier in the season I was frustrated that he wasn't seeing more minutes late in the game. Now Gabe has picked up his play and we have went with some smaller lineups and it seems to be working so no worries.

As a senior, I expect him to be a double double type player. Hopefully he'll be at a point in his career where he will be able to be smarter with his foul trouble and be able to average 25 minutes a game.

In regards to the NBA, I just don't see it. The NBA is a game played above the rim.... need I say more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts