Adam Woodbury is a HAWKEYE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodbury has the tools to be a great player and has shown a lot of those this year. Lately is seems as some of the things people are saying about him are getting back to him and are in his head when he goes to dunk it. Like TritonHawkeye said in his post. Fran needs to tell him to just do what he is capable of and lay the ball up. Fact of the matter is he was in the right position and he thought "I need to throw this down" when in fact he's not a great dunker. Just lay it in and hand the ball to the ref and everyone will still cheer. The guy is an asset on defense and distributes the ball wall and rebounds effectively. Just like Basabe did after his sophomore year, he needs to just do what he's good at and practice at getting even better at those things. I personally wouldn't mind him going back to the sky hooks.

His "tool" is his height.Seems like a great kid, he has less athletic ability (agility and hops) than any 4 star recruit I can remember. His biggest problem was the hype about him from HS. his athletic ability makes his ceiling pretty low as a B10 player. I glad to have him, and Fran only plays him the time he has earned and No more, especially at the. End of B10 games.

It's frustrating as a fan and even more so as a former coach to know one of your own who is busting his tale is perhaps getting jeered more IN CARVER than he does on the road. Some of the crap comments I heard on Sunday from the student section were simply uncalled for. Woody is still way ahead of the curve for a typical big man, especially at Iowa and yet folks continue to bash him. Here's a thought...what are the odds of Gabe's improvement if he were going toe to toe daily against Brommer, Archie or Cougill? I supported all of those guys but they were not known for their defense or knowledge of the game. The match-ups these guys see everyday is what got them to #10 nationally so how about as fans we do everything we can to help keep them here all 4 yrs.

It's frustrating as a fan and even more so as a former coach to know one of your own who is busting his tale is perhaps getting jeered more IN CARVER than he does on the road. Some of the crap comments I heard on Sunday from the student section were simply uncalled for. Woody is still way ahead of the curve for a typical big man, especially at Iowa and yet folks continue to bash him. Here's a thought...what are the odds of Gabe's improvement if he were going toe to toe daily against Brommer, Archie or Cougill? I supported all of those guys but they were not known for their defense or knowledge of the game. The match-ups these guys see everyday is what got them to #10 nationally so how about as fans we do everything we can to help keep them here all 4 yrs.

Really? SMH. I was there but I sit in the nose bleeds and didn't hear this.

This is so sad to read....some people are just miserable and jelly and want everyone to be miserable. Who gives a rat's *** that he struggles dunking?? How many of you Vince carter haters have ever been 7 foot and know what it's like to play BIG10 bball? Im 6 foot and struggle walking...

There were no defenders within 5 feet of him when he received the pass. Shoulda been an easy 2. Aaron White probably woulda done a 360 and jammed, but Woodbury tried a simple 2 handed dunk and got rejected by the rim. And he's 8 feet tall...

My God! What are you a 5'8" wannabe baller? Dunking, even for 7 footers, is not as easy as the NBA players make it look. Chris Kaman has had a nice run in the NBA. Didn't do a lot until his junior year at Central Michigan (hardly B1G caliber). Sven Nater had a 12-year NBA career; in college he was the backup for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and rarely played. Billy Paultz had a 15 year NBA career; in college his junior year he was an 8pt/7reb guy. None of the three I mentioned were known for their dunks. All three were slow to develop in college. Kaman had the best college single season stats of all three during his junior year at 22pt/11reb (again in a mid-major conference).

The point is, Adam's got skills. He doesn't have hops. The three I mentioned were similar to Adam. And there are MANY more guys in the NBA who are big but aren't known for their dunking ability. There is more to the game than dunking the ball. Adam does a LOT of those other areas very well.

That is sad to hear about our own students giving Woodbury grief. What were the students saying about Woodbury?

Woody isn't a focal point for the offense this year and that is putting it lightly. He doesn't get very many touches in a scoring position unless it is off of put backs. I am still waiting for Fran to run some post iso plays for him like in the video. That is where he is at his best, the traditional back to the basket kind of big man. He has a great baby hook that he can make with both hands that we have seen maybe once this year. Trust me when I say that people's perception of him could change drastically next year with Marble gone. Jok and JO will be getting more playing time and they are known as shooters. Shooters spread the floor and not only give guys space to cut/create (White/Uthoff) but for post players ie Woody to have 1 on 1 matchups where they can use their offensive repertoire. With Fran running the show and wanting to get up and down the floor we probably won't see tons of it but I would bet we will be seeing more of it in the future. As for now Woody is contributing on the defensive end and capitalizing on most of his offensive chances he gets. What more can you ask from a player?

Here's the video:

Woodbury is simply a victim of his HS rankings. He isn't going to be as good as the 5 star he was given, but he gives it his all and he definitely effects shots in the lane. I've never heard him talk trash, and he's a hard worker. I'm not a fan of booing a college player in any sport that is given the effort.

That is sad to hear about our own students giving Woodbury grief. What were the students saying about Woodbury?

I heard this from a friend who attended the game yesterday. Didn't say it was just students doing the jeering though. I really like Woodbury's defense but would like to see him get more aggressive when he gets the ball down low. I do enjoy when people say he lacks skills or athletic ability. For a 7 footer he runs the floor very well.

Woody following Gesell to Iowa, spurning UNC was a major step itn the evolution of the Hawks under Fran. That was a major coup to steal one of our own from Roy Williams......

Woody prefers to lay the ball in or use a soft hook shot, it is his choice and his style, and he is getting better as time goes on. His D and leadership on D really helps the Hawks.....

I really wouldn't worry about him if I were you guys.....

:rolleyes:

I'm glad Woodbury picked Iowa and is a Hawkeye for all the reasons previously stated , but if you're not a little disappointed in his play and development to this point in his career, you're not being honest with yourself.

I'm glad Woodbury picked Iowa and is a Hawkeye for all the reasons previously stated , but if you're not a little disappointed in his play and development to this point in his career, you're not being honest with yourself.

Nope, I am not disappointed in Woodbury at all. Between him and Olaseni I am fine with the production at center.

Sorry about your disappointment, hope you can find a way to find a little bit of happiness in your life.....

Last edited:
It's always somebody isn't it. Eric May for two seasons, Oglesby for last season and past of this season, and now Woody. I prefer to enjoy the success of the team in which every member is a part of it's success. We are ranked number ten in the nation, That is what I prefer to think about, rather than tear down one of the Iowa Hawkeyes on the basketball team. I personally do not like to tear one of the team down. We should be supporting the team. Just my opinion.....

Sorry forgot about the unjust criticism about Zach McCabe.....

:rolleyes:

I don't recall exact words but let's just say they did not feel Woody should be on the floor after he missed the layup. What really got me was when I glanced over and then saw a couple of the MN folks actually laughing at the fact some of our own fans dislike him.

Remember when Iowa freshman and sophomores had to do everything? If you don't then you haven't paid much attention to Iowa basketball the few years before Fran arrived. Things are far different today than they were just a few short years ago. If you are disappointed with Woodbury, then either your own expectations are too high, or you have no concept of how big guys develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts