Adam Rittenberg brings up the Sandeman hit

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/6030/regarding-the-iowa-michigan-state-officiating

I think a lot of people are missing this rule... it's crystal clear this was a penalty and furthermore Ware should have been ejected.

Here's the rule:
PROTECTION OF DEFENSELESS PLAYERS—In 2008, the committee
introduced a separate rule prohibiting initiating contact with and targeting a
defenseless opponent (Rule 9-1-3).
The following are situations in which defenseless players are susceptible to
serious injury:
• The quarterback moving down the line of scrimmage who has handed or
pitched the ball to a teammate, and then makes no attempt to participate
further in the play;
• The kicker who is in the act of kicking the ball, or who has not had a
reasonable length of time to regain his balance after the kick;
• The passer who is in the act of throwing the ball, or who has not had a
reasonable length of time to participate in the play again after releasing the
ball;
• The pass receiver whose concentration is on the ball;
• The pass receiver who has clearly relaxed when the pass is no longer
catchable;
• The kick receiver whose attention is on the downward flight of the ball;
• The kick receiver who has just touched the ball;
• The player who has relaxed once the ball has become dead; and
• The player who is obviously out of the play.
POINTS OF EMPHASIS FR-9
These players are protected by rules that have been in place for many years. It
is of the utmost importance that participants, coaches and game officials carefully
and diligently observe safety rules.
Intentional helmet-to-helmet contact is never legal, nor is any other blow directed toward an opponent’s head. Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified.

What MSU fans fail to realize is that even if he had hit Sandeman with his shoulder and not his helmet, above Sandeman's shoulders, it would've been a penalty. Wayne and Chris brought that up during the broadcast.

All I have to say is that if we weren't 7-0 and the Big Ten's only chance at the National Title game I don't think we get those calls.

I think we were very fortunate for the almost 30 second late flag on Sandeman hit. Then the Wegher fumble was not even reviewed...

Then the DJK pass interference call was PI, but I've seen that type of contact not called before.

We are usually on the losing end of corruption. This time around, we were on the receiving end of it. All of the big, game changing calls went our way.

I expect the same thing to continue in Kinnick the next two weeks and I won't be complaining. Just hide it a little better than the SEC has been!

There was a timeout after Wegher's fumble, plenty of time to look at reviewing it. Didn't need to review it because Wegher recovered it himself. Why would you review a play where the outcome wouldn't have been changed.

DJK was held and thrown down, how is that now a hold? Esp. since Clayborn was being held all game long?

30 sec late on the call is bad, but the refs got together and due to the new emphasis on hits to the head, they made the right call.

I hope all remember this when a Hawkeye gets flagged for such a hit down the road.

We already got one! A phantom one.
Kenny Iwebema in the Bowl game vs. Florida... remember?

And Fletcher's hit during the NW game too was a H2H call, the same game Shonn Greene got torched in the head without a penalty.

We've been through this before...

Last edited:
I think the ref was more like, oh crap his body went limp, I better throw the flag. I don't know if we are getting favoritism from the refs, but we did seem to have a few calls go our way. I just like to think of it as destiny.

Well, we can also talk about the holding calls that were never called as well. Not one hold on MSU offense. Really? Not one.

All I have to say is that if we weren't 7-0 and the Big Ten's only chance at the National Title game I don't think we get those calls.

I think we were very fortunate for the almost 30 second late flag on Sandeman hit. Then the Wegher fumble was not even reviewed...

Then the DJK pass interference call was PI, but I've seen that type of contact not called before.

We are usually on the losing end of corruption. This time around, we were on the receiving end of it. All of the big, game changing calls went our way.

I expect the same thing to continue in Kinnick the next two weeks and I won't be complaining. Just hide it a little better than the SEC has been!

I have a problem with with how you put that...I don't see how making the correct call is "being on the receiving end of corruption".

I think the ref was more like, oh crap his body went limp, I better throw the flag. I don't know if we are getting favoritism from the refs, but we did seem to have a few calls go our way. I just like to think of it as destiny.

Don't forget, every play is reviewed by the booth and it could've been called down, "hey guys, flag that, it was helmet to helmet" or it could've been one on field ref who saw it happen, bringing everyone in to discuss it, like baseball umpires do.

Don't forget, every play is reviewed by the booth and it could've been called down, "hey guys, flag that, it was helmet to helmet" or it could've been one on field ref who saw it happen, bringing everyone in to discuss it, like baseball umpires do.

I'm pretty sure the review booth can't be used in this way (declaring when to throw a penalty flag).

Also the talk of getting favorable calls is very hard to justify. There were good and bad (no) calls both ways. The helmet to helmet call could be made by anyone except those without a brain. The fact that Dantonio is talking about pressing the issue by sending a tape to the Big 10 office.... well, then I guess that my theorem in the previous sentence holds true.

I know people who were there and they said one official threw his flag right away. Now weather he threw it for taunting or helmet to helmet we will never know. I just know there was a flag thrown on that play, now whatever the reason was for the flag we will never know. The only that i saw was helmet to helmet contact. no need for the player to come in high like that, he wanted to punish the WR. The refs made the correct call.

The holding call on bulaga was bull, their arms got locked and the LB spun down. That ref had no right making that call. Clayborn and Binns were getting held all night and no call. The refs made some good calls and missed some. Hey they are human and do make mistakes. I thought they called an okay game. It did hurt them that their headlinesman went to the locker room early, never did hear what happened to him?

The holding call on bulaga was bull, their arms got locked and the LB spun down. That ref had no right making that call. Clayborn and Binns were getting held all night and no call. The refs made some good calls and missed some. Hey they are human and do make mistakes. I thought they called an okay game. It did hurt them that their headlinesman went to the locker room early, never did hear what happened to him?

I don't know why I'm arguing this, because they happen both ways all the time. The same thing happened to Penn State last year just before the interception. King spun around and the Penn State lineman lost his balance and fell on top of him so they called a hold. We're only talking about these penalties because the game was so close. If Iowa would've won by two touchdowns I doubt this stuff would be argued so heavily..

I'm pretty sure the review booth can't be used in this way (declaring when to throw a penalty flag).

Also the talk of getting favorable calls is very hard to justify. There were good and bad (no) calls both ways. The helmet to helmet call could be made by anyone except those without a brain. The fact that Dantonio is talking about pressing the issue by sending a tape to the Big 10 office.... well, then I guess that my theorem in the previous sentence holds true.

I'm pretty sure you're right...I'm just throwing darts at the wall since everyone thinks the flag was "so late"...and your theorem definitely holds true!

I don't know why I'm arguing this, because they happen both ways all the time. The same thing happened to Penn State last year just before the interception. King spun around and the Penn State lineman lost his balance and fell on top of him so they called a hold. We're only talking about these penalties because the game was so close. If Iowa would've won by two touchdowns I doubt this stuff would be argued so heavily..

The one on King was pretty close to being a hold, the guy actually fell on top of king, so it looked like the lineman took king to the ground. Bulaga didn't even fall on the LB, the LB spun down and bulaga lost his balance and fell away from him! The linesman shouldn't of made that call, the Umpire or back linesman should of made that call. I really don't care about the non-holding calls that much, if you wanted to get really picky, those refs could call holding on every play.

Latest posts