Adam Gettis

They have been measuring bench since the combine started in 1982.Sports weight training has evolved way beyond lifts like the bench press.It is still used at the combine mostly because it is convenient and easy to measure and because that's just the way they've always done it. Bench pressing is a waste of time for football players.
Awesome. I know. Funny how the NFL's only test of strength and endurance at the combine is completely worthless. It is a wonder these NFL scouting guys even have jobs.

No one is saying that scouts don't know what they are doing, or that bench doesn't tell you anything, we are just saying its not the be all end all for judging football strength.

To quote you, its very complex.

I am only being half facetious.

I think it is funny that people are saying that benching doesn't matter when it is the only thing they do at the combine to measure both strength and endurance.

At the same time, it is ridiculous that the NFL personnel guys don't come up with better ways to measure both of these qualities.

Why do they run 40 times with no pads? Why do they measure verticle jump in offensive linemen? Why do they measure broad jump?

None of these things will be done in the field of play.

There are a lot of things that are measured that make you scratch your head, but when taken as a whole, it still gives a good overall picture of the physical attributes of the player. But it still makes me chuckle when you have someone who's performance wasn't worth a damn in-game, but they kill it at the combine and some sucker GM takes them higher than they should and they inevitably are a bust. Nothing replaces game film for a true evaluation of a player.

The reality is the combine exists for just a few reasons...

It identifies major flaws and identifies true standouts. If an OL comes in and does 15 reps on the bench that’s a huge red flag, and likely indicates they don’t have enough strength to perform at an NFL level. At the same time someone who does 40 truly stands out and exhibits that their strength is a clear advantage from them. Everyone else performs in the “acceptable rangeâ€￾ and it becomes just another piece of the overall performance of the player.

The second thing the combine does is identify nobodies and quantify smaller school standouts who lack an amount of quality film to properly evaluate them. For guys like Gettis it’s much easier to gauge how he performs in the NFL because he has tons of tape, much of it against NFL quality opposition. For someone from the MAC or other non-bcs conference the combine allows teams to get uniform measurable data and compare them side by side against other prospects.

Lastly the combine can also be used to answer questions about players. McNutt is a perfect example. Scouts had legitimate questions regarding his speed. His performance at the combine showed he has adequate speed to play in the NFL.

One of the issues with the bench is it also the endurance test. Might be nice if they came up with some kind of weight bearing exercise that also required the participant to move.

Latest posts