Adam Gettis

pushing with a force at your back (bench press) and pushing with only your feet and core to support you (blocking) are two entirely different skill sets requiring entirely different muscle sets.

Exactly, and while I haven't see the numbers nfl.com has Gettis having the best broad jump and the best 20-yard shuttle of any OL.

With his fast 40 time and faster 10 yard split. He's arguably the most athletic OL participating.

pushing with a force at your back (bench press) and pushing with only your feet and core to support you (blocking) are two entirely different skill sets requiring entirely different muscle sets.
Exactly, and while I haven't see the numbers nfl.com has Gettis having the best broad jump and the best 20-yard shuttle of any OL.With his fast 40 time and faster 10 yard split. He's arguably the most athletic OL participating.

Yeah I was watching some of the combine this morning and they basically said the same thing. They said Gettis was winning the triatholan of o-lineman (he also had the highest verticle, I think). He had a good showing, the said the fact he came to iowa at about 220lbs really helped his oline athletism, so said.the talking heads on NFLN.

Doyle and the Iowa Strength and Conditioning program is all about ground based power. Because the game of football, at every position, revolves around ground based power. The bench press is not a huge part of Iowa's routine because it doesn't focus on a muscle movement that's commonly used on a football field.

The problem with Iowa linemen at the combine in the past has come at the bench press, not speed and agility.
The other issue Iowa players have is fans who don't know much about what they talk about...........see comment above as example "A".

the only time a linemen does a bench is when they lock out on pass protection and they dont do it 20 or whatever times on 1 play they lock out once and then move the dl. core and lower body strength to get an initial push and leverage is more important. when run blocking you dont want to lock out and it doesnt come into play because you need to keep the defender close to you so you have more control.

hawkeye players may do worse in the bench but i would bet if they came back 5 or 10 minutes later and did it again the hawkeyes would put up similar numbers and other players would drop off dramatically. in fact they should do it that way and that would show you more about conditioning and strength than 1 shot and go.

Bench doesn't do a whole lot in the long run. Best lift for pretty much any sport especially football is squats.

Doyle and the Iowa Strength and Conditioning program is all about ground based power. Because the game of football, at every position, revolves around ground based power. The bench press is not a huge part of Iowa's routine because it doesn't focus on a muscle movement that's commonly used on a football field.

Iowa stresses technique more than power with zone blocking.

I wasn't going to post anything about this comment, but couldn't resist.

Bench press also shows the lineman's ability to thrust out with the arms.
And yeah, they stand when they do it (on every play).

They shouldn't be thrusting out with their arms, they should be thrusting out with their legs, core, chest, & arms.

I have always noticed the more often i did Bench press....the more bench press I could do ;-)

Think it is awesome to know that people on a message board know more than the entire body of individuals being paid to evaluate NFL talent. Funny how those guys waste all their time having guys bench press if it is so meaningless. Seems like they could do better things with their time. :)

Think it is awesome to know that people on a message board know more than the entire body of individuals being paid to evaluate NFL talent. Funny how those guys waste all their time having guys bench press if it is so meaningless. Seems like they could do better things with their time. :)

Agree O'Doyle Rules!!! Doyle sucks!!!

They have been measuring bench since the combine started in 1982.

Sports weight training has evolved way beyond lifts like the bench press.

It is still used at the combine mostly because it is convenient and easy to measure and because that's just the way they've always done it.

Bench pressing is a waste of time for football players.

Bench pressing is what guys do to impress chicks but my god it ruins your shoulders. Elastic bands are very comparable and less strain.

They have been measuring bench since the combine started in 1982.

Sports weight training has evolved way beyond lifts like the bench press.

It is still used at the combine mostly because it is convenient and easy to measure and because that's just the way they've always done it.

Bench pressing is a waste of time for football players.

Awesome. I know. Funny how the NFL's only test of strength and endurance at the combine is completely worthless. It is a wonder these NFL scouting guys even have jobs.

Latest posts