Adam Gettis

Just ran a 4.91 at the combine. Leader, thus far for the offensive lineman. Another example of the athletes that Iowa has had at the offensive line position over the last 10 years. Very impressive and athletic.

Our coaches are awesome developers of players for the NFL, but terrible at in game decision making and game planning. WIth the number of NFL players being produced, records should be better than 7-5.

The problem with Iowa linemen at the combine in the past has come at the bench press, not speed and agility.

I think most people that understand line play realize that unless bench numbers are shockingly low they really don't mean much. It's such a poor measure of functional strength.

The problem with Iowa linemen at the combine in the past has come at the bench press, not speed and agility.

The other issue Iowa players have is fans who don't know much about what they talk about...........see comment above as example "A".

The other issue Iowa players have is fans who don't know much about what they talk about...........see comment above as example "A".
please enlighten us.

Doyle doesn't give a rip about the bench so the focus of training before the combine doesn't stress bench. This causes all Iowa players to have average to below average reps at the combine.

With the number of players Iowa has put in the NFL and the large number of those being OL/DL I'm guessing most NFL teams don't care about it either.

please enlighten us.
Doyle doesn't give a rip about the bench so the focus of training before the combine doesn't stress bench. This causes all Iowa players to have average to below average reps at the combine.With the number of players Iowa has put in the NFL and the large number of those being OL/DL I'm guessing most NFL teams don't care about it either.

exactly

Doyle doesn't give a rip about the bench so the focus of training before the combine doesn't stress bench. This causes all Iowa players to have average to below average reps at the combine.

With the number of players Iowa has put in the NFL and the large number of those being OL/DL I'm guessing most NFL teams don't care about it either.

Absolutely a spot on analysis Hoffa. Nice work.

Who plays football on his back?
I wasn't going to post anything about this comment, but couldn't resist. Bench press also shows the lineman's ability to thrust out with the arms.And yeah, they stand when they do it (on every play).

pushing with a force at your back (bench press) and pushing with only your feet and core to support you (blocking) are two entirely different skill sets requiring entirely different muscle sets.

pushing with a force at your back (bench press) and pushing with only your feet and core to support you (blocking) are two entirely different skill sets requiring entirely different muscle sets.

This is correct. Doyle's workouts focus more on 'functional' movements/abilities.

Who plays football on his back?
I wasn't going to post anything about this comment, but couldn't resist. Bench press also shows the lineman's ability to thrust out with the arms.And yeah, they stand when they do it (on every play).

Chadrich

Latest posts