According to the Herd.... People in Minnesota don't consider Iowa a rival.

I don't care about 1970 basketball. I'm not sure how you think Iowa has a more talented core when Fred has higher rated recruits than Fran has signed. Next year Iowa will be the better team, but after Marble is gone I just don't see where the offense comes from. They struggled this year when Marble took games off which Jok and Uthoff could help with but neither has played a minute of college basketball so who knows? You can say Iowa will be really strong but everything thought Kentucky would be too. Sure, they could be, but we don't know that they will be.

I said basketball program for a reason, arguing Iowa's football program would take a complete fool but in my lifetime, ISU has been the better basketball school.
80-71, clown. Go back to clown town and don't come back.

I think Minnesota fans have become apathetic over their college football program. They're the complete opposite when it comes to basketball. I lived in Albert Lea and St. Paul for 12 years and I didn't hear much at all about the Iowa-Minnesota football games however when it comes to the state and the people Minnesotans think they are far superior in every way. When I first moved to Albert Lea I was amazed at their superior attitude considering I grew up in northern Iowa and I really didn't see a difference in the two areas.

I don't care about 1970 basketball. I'm not sure how you think Iowa has a more talented core when Fred has higher rated recruits than Fran has signed. Next year Iowa will be the better team, but after Marble is gone I just don't see where the offense comes from. They struggled this year when Marble took games off which Jok and Uthoff could help with but neither has played a minute of college basketball so who knows? You can say Iowa will be really strong but everything thought Kentucky would be too. Sure, they could be, but we don't know that they will be.

I said basketball program for a reason, arguing Iowa's football program would take a complete fool but in my lifetime, ISU has been the better basketball school.

If ISU has been a better b-ball school in your lifetime, you must be 6 or 7 years old (and even during that time the difference is marginal, and the gap is now all but gone). Here's a little Iowa basketball history for ya courtesy of Miller...

Hawkeyes: Iowa Hoops AP Poll History LessonHawkeye Nation

...not even really that close. Clowns suck.

If ISU has been a better b-ball school in your lifetime, you must be 6 or 7 years old (and even during that time the difference is marginal, and the gap is now all but gone). Here's a little Iowa basketball history for ya courtesy of Miller...

Hawkeyes: Iowa Hoops AP Poll History LessonHawkeye Nation

...not even really that close. Clowns suck.

It's true that they will never be good in football no matter who the coach is. Basketball is a very different story. If the mayor stays for another ten years, they'll be winners year in and year out.

FreedComanche

I love when the denizens of one Midwestern rural state think they're better than the denizens of another Midwestern rural state.[/QUOTE

It reminds me of the t-shirt (courtesy of The Onion) that says: "The sports team from my area will defeat the sports team from your area."

Here in Madison, people talk about how Iowa is rural. I ask them if they've ever been outside of the city limits of Madison.

Wisconsin and Iowa seem to have mirror programs. Both are hardly ever up at the same time. Wisconsin has been very successful as of late but it's nothing Iowa hasn't done in the last 30 years. This is why currently we get lots of Wisconsin fans ragging on Iowa as of late because in the last few years they have been dominant and they can finally rub it in Iowa fans faces.

Cyclone fans have much more hate for Iowa. I assuming because Iowa fans don't give the Clones any respect what so ever. They have been and currently are that program I expect Iowa to beat. Expect.. The match ups have been much closer as of late but I feel Iowa is down. ISU is not up. Iowa is basketball and football has a clear advantage in their overall programs so even if there is a drought that happens every so often Iowa tends to jump back up.

Wisconsin has won 3 B10 championships in a row, 6 since PSU joined the B10 in 1993 or the modern era of B10 football. Iowa has 5 championships total in the last 30 years. Wisconsin has 6 Rose Bowl Appearances and 3 wins since Iowa has last been to a Rose Bowl.

Dear Clowns,

Congrats on wrapping up first grade! Things we did in class this year: lose to Iowa, lose to Ohio State in the tourney, and act like tards. What a busy year! This summer, while we ride our trikes and play with our dolls, let's try to focus on skills that we'll need to know for next year: acting like we're proud of being 6-6 in football, and pretending that we expected to be awful in basketball all along. Make sure you come prepared for second grade!

Have a neat summer break!

Your loving teacher,

Mr. Wundergrape

Minnesota's #1 rival is definitely Wisconsin.

This is definitely true, but I think it makes a good point. People these days (fans) think that 'rival' implies one team. Minnesota -> Wisconsin. I live in MN currently, this is really true about wisconsin. But IMO, a team can have many rivals. As an Iowa fan, I consider Minnesota, Wisconsin, ISU, Nebraska all to be rivals.

In fact, one thing I love about the way these new Big 10 divisions have been is that every team is a rival. Northwestern beats us every year, somehow. They're coach hates us badly. I consider them a rival. We beat Penn State very frequently, don't know what happened this year. I consider them a rival. We have had epic games against Michigan lately, and I consider them a rival (to an extent).

But Michigan fans would probably laugh at that. And narrow minded/uninformed college football fans would say that Ohio St is Michigan's rival (solely).

Among all the conference changes, that is what's cool about old conferences, rivalries. However, as 'little old Iowa' many teams probably don't consider us a rival because they claim to not care. We're not the flashiest, most popular program and those are the programs that people want to be rivals with.

They have won two of the last three and if we won 20 in a row the series might not be even. Stiil we have our moments.

20120925__goalposts.jpg

Exactly. Because there is no agriculture in Minnesota, or Wisconsin, or Illinois, or Indiana.....

I love when the denizens of one Midwestern rural state think they're better than the denizens of another Midwestern rural state.[/QUOTE

It reminds me of the t-shirt (courtesy of The Onion) that says: "The sports team from my area will defeat the sports team from your area."

Here in Madison, people talk about how Iowa is rural. I ask them if they've ever been outside of the city limits of Madison.

This is definitely true, but I think it makes a good point. People these days (fans) think that 'rival' implies one team. Minnesota -> Wisconsin. I live in MN currently, this is really true about wisconsin. But IMO, a team can have many rivals. As an Iowa fan, I consider Minnesota, Wisconsin, ISU, Nebraska all to be rivals.

In fact, one thing I love about the way these new Big 10 divisions have been is that every team is a rival. Northwestern beats us every year, somehow. They're coach hates us badly. I consider them a rival. We beat Penn State very frequently, don't know what happened this year. I consider them a rival. We have had epic games against Michigan lately, and I consider them a rival (to an extent).

But Michigan fans would probably laugh at that. And narrow minded/uninformed college football fans would say that Ohio St is Michigan's rival (solely).

Among all the conference changes, that is what's cool about old conferences, rivalries. However, as 'little old Iowa' many teams probably don't consider us a rival because they claim to not care. We're not the flashiest, most popular program and those are the programs that people want to be rivals with.

You of course forgot our most hated, and fortunately, protected rival, Purdue. ;)

F'n Purdue!!!!

Nothing gets your blood "boiling" more than sitting in a half empty Ross Ade stadium.

NOTHING can compare to Wisky fans.....dumping schnapps on the opponent, slashing the tires of the opposing head coach's wife's van....Vadger-fans are despicable. And I am an alum.

Or tipping over cars with Iowa plates. Or throwing bottles and cans at players. Or hitting Hayden Fry in the head with eggs. All of which I witnessed in Madison.

That would be like Iowa considering tOSU a rival. The Gophers have to win more than 1 in 5 to consider Iowa a rival. We might hate Ohio State but at best Iowa is a spoiler for tOSU, not a rival.

Latest posts