According to the Herd.... People in Minnesota don't consider Iowa a rival.

That is a true statement. This might come as a surprised to you but Gopher fans actually don't hate Iowa Fans.

I've lived in Minnesota for 10 years and Wisconsin is who they despise more than anything on the face of the planet..

They like it when the hawks come to town and rip down they're goal post and carry it into the streets.

Hahahaha.

Minnesota (a long time ago, 60s & 70s) was the superior program to Iowa, however Iowa has had the clear upper hand over the last 30 years. This annoys old time hard core Minnesota fans down to their core. They hate Iowa but not as rivals. The don't consider Iowa equals over the long haul, much like Iowa fans don't consider ISU their rivals, just a team they hate and feel they should beat each season.

Minnesota (a long time ago, 60s & 70s) was the superior program to Iowa, however Iowa has had the clear upper hand over the last 30 years. This annoys old time hard core Minnesota fans down to their core. They hate Iowa but not as rivals. The don't consider Iowa equals over the long haul, much like Iowa fans don't consider ISU their rivals, just a team they hate and feel they should beat each season.

I consider Iowa State a rival to Iowa. Guess I should come out from under my rock.

Not a big surprise. Wisky is hands down who they would be despising more. Doesn't matter to me how we rank on other schools lists.

I lived in MN for 3 years and never heard anybody talk about the Gophers until they beat Iowa. Then all the dumb@sses I work with brought up the Gophers.

Idiots.

Also, shame on you OP for taking the Herd as gospel when he is talking about midwest sports. Dude doesnt know squat unless the teams are on either coast.

I lived in MN for 3 years and never heard anybody talk about the Gophers until they beat Iowa. Then all the dumb@sses I work with brought up the Gophers.

Idiots.

Also, shame on you OP for taking the Herd as gospel when he is talking about midwest sports. Dude doesnt know squat unless the teams are on either coast.

someone get Spank to weigh in on this. i have family that moved up there and they definitely hate Wisconsin more, but still hate Iowa too. you can have more than one rival, you know.

also, while i generally like Colin, he certainly doesn't have a handle on MidWest sports.

I understand they were a good program before my time, but during my lifetime watching the hawks (early 80s to now) we have been the better program, maybe not always by far, but certainly w out question. If they don't consider us a rival it's not because they are better, because that's not been the case in football for decades.

That is a true statement. This might come as a surprised to you but Gopher fans actually don't hate Iowa Fans.

I've lived in Minnesota for 10 years and Wisconsin is who they despise more than anything on the face of the planet..

Aren't you in Owatonna? I lived in the Cities for 11 years and they hate Iowa as much as Wisky. Peak hatred came around the end of November in 2002.

I lived in St. Paul for 6 years, and while they definitely hate Wisconsin more (and St. Cloud State for hockey), they still don't like Iowa. Definitely not on the level of Badgerhate, but it's not like they're indifferent. Luckily there are a lot of Iowa fans in the Twin Cities as well. I would generally get at least one "Go Hawks" whenever I walked around in my Iowa shirt.

I've lived here for 14 years. They hate Iowa. They hate whiskey too.

They say the "who hates iowa, we hate iowa" at non iowa games.

When I moved here, I can't tell you how many "jokes" about how stupid Iowans are, how bad they drive, etc, I heard.

Aren't you in Owatonna? I lived in the Cities for 11 years and they hate Iowa as much as Wisky. Peak hatred came around the end of November in 2002.

yes I'm in Owatonna. I travel the state and yes they hate Iowa but it is different hate IMO it is like they think we are iliterate of something as for Wisconsin they absolutely Despise them. but if you were to asked them who there real rival is it is the Badgers.. That is the point of the thread RIVAL.. This isn't about who hates who more..

Last edited:
I lived in St. Paul for 6 years, and while they definitely hate Wisconsin more (and St. Cloud State for hockey), they still don't like Iowa. Definitely not on the level of Badgerhate, but it's not like they're indifferent. Luckily there are a lot of Iowa fans in the Twin Cities as well. I would generally get at least one "Go Hawks" whenever I walked around in my Iowa shirt.

Agree with this..