Aaron White Question

He is playing out of position is his biggest issue. Right now he has the game of a 4 that is playing the 3. He really needs to work on his jumper and he will be fine. He has what you can't teach just needs to continue to improve.

Lets not subject our opinion of White's play to an MSU mugging job. Izzo told his team and the refs in the 2nd half that Sparty was going to mug Iowa until they succumbed. It worked.

White's problem is he has become like the guy in the NBA who is always flopping to draw charging calls, only he's on offense.

He puts too much effort into drawing fouls. Particularly for a guy who doesn't shoot clutch FTs well.

Other than that he is a pretty good and likable player. Always gives max effort and plays smart. Probably thrust more into a scoring roll than he should be but hopefully MG, AC, & AW can develop offensively and take some heat off of him next year.

Lets not subject our opinion of White's play to an MSU mugging job. Izzo told his team and the refs in the 2nd half that Sparty was going to mug Iowa until they succumbed. It worked.

I've said similar things earlier this season. I don't base my opinion off a single game, but rather a collection of games against teams who play similar styles.

White's not a go to scorer. He's the type of guy who should a fourth option on a really good team. He's very good at finding ways to score off of putbacks, run outs and cuts to holes in the defense, drawing fouls, but he's not the kind of guy who can just face up and score against good defensive guys.

As defenses have to pay more attention to Gesell and hopefully Uthoff and Jok, it will open up the floor even more for White. This is just like the criticism Gatens' faced most of his career. He was a very good player and great secondary option, it wasn't his fault and it's not White's fault that fans want them to be something they're not.

White's not a go to scorer. He's the type of guy who should a fourth option on a really good team. He's very good at finding ways to score off of putbacks, run outs and cuts to holes in the defense, drawing fouls, but he's not the kind of guy who can just face up and score against good defensive guys.

As defenses have to pay more attention to Gesell and hopefully Uthoff and Jok, it will open up the floor even more for White. This is just like the criticism Gatens' faced most of his career. He was a very good player and great secondary option, it wasn't his fault and it's not White's fault that fans want them to be something they're not.

Actually, I think Aaron could be a nightmare matchup for teams if he improved his outside shooting and ball handling. He is a first or second option on most teams if he can improve those areas. Gatens was criticized because he had no talent around him and couldn't do everything, it is far different situation with White.

I don't see Jok/Utoff having an impact on White, but the development of Gesell/Woodbury certainly will. I am not saying Utoff/Jok won't impact Iowa, but not White as I don't see them on the floor that much together unless Basabe reverts back to his sophomore form.

I've said similar things earlier this season. I don't base my opinion off a single game, but rather a collection of games against teams who play similar styles.

My opinion of Aaron White has not changed since his first game, there is a lot about him to like and he maximizes those things he is good at, but he has to become a player that can play in the half court. It really is a no-brainer and for him to do that he must improve his shot and ball handling.

My observations and I have said this for several months is yes he does not have a great three point shot and no I have only seen him take a few 15 footers off the dribble and he has made some of them, actually he looks pretty good on that move.

But, and here is the but, when he gets the ball at the arc he almost has always established his left foot as his pivot foot and he almost always either head fakes and drives to the right or just drives to the right. And so he is set up wrong to drive and get his left shoulder past the defenders chest.

I think he really needs to work on catching the ball so he can establish either foot as his pivot foot and when he head fakes he needs to be able to start his drive to the left or right in such a way that he gets his shoulder and body nearest the defender past the defender and then he is in great position.

Canning some jumpers will help that head fake also. I would love to see him shoot 40% from 3 pt range the next two years.

Actually he probably drives to the left %80 of the time off that shot fake. He always goes back to his right to try and finish though which creates problems.

He needs to develop all aspects of the half court game. Jump shooting, post moves, ball handling and passing. He really didn't improve on anything from where he was at the end of the year as a freshman.

Actually, I think Aaron could be a nightmare matchup for teams if he improved his outside shooting and ball handling. He is a first or second option on most teams if he can improve those areas. Gatens was criticized because he had no talent around him and couldn't do everything, it is far different situation with White.

I don't see Jok/Utoff having an impact on White, but the development of Gesell/Woodbury certainly will. I am not saying Utoff/Jok won't impact Iowa, but not White as I don't see them on the floor that much together unless Basabe reverts back to his sophomore form.

Right, but he doesn't so as he is, he's not suited to being a go to guy. Gatens was also asked to be a go to guy and for 3 and a half years he didn't have the skill set to do that. They both are guys who could be great secondary options for very good teams.

I think Uthoff will play a lot with White next year, a line up of Gesell, Marble, Uthoff, White, Woody/Basabe has the potential to be a very good group on both ends of the floor. Iowa needs all the scoring options we can get on the floor.

Right, but he doesn't so as he is, he's not suited to being a go to guy. Gatens was also asked to be a go to guy and for 3 and a half years he didn't have the skill set to do that. They both are guys who could be great secondary options for very good teams.

I think Uthoff will play a lot with White next year, a line up of Gesell, Marble, Uthoff, White, Woody/Basabe has the potential to be a very good group on both ends of the floor. Iowa needs all the scoring options we can get on the floor.

I am agreeing with your first statement.

Your last one, I think the game against MSU proved that Basabe is far more effective with Gabe/Woody beside him like Cole his first and best season.

Iowa needs to continue to play great defense and develop their shooting, that just isn't Aaron, that is the whole roster. I like the bench to be the scoring spark next season as I think Clemmons will be better and if Utoff/Jok are half the scorers people think they are then Iowa won't have have scoring droughts and can put some fun combinations on the floor.

Problem is he is a currently a very poor jump shooter with a weird shot. It sounds easy to just say improve jump shooting but hes along way away from that.

If you take any players biggest weakness and turn it into a strength than obviously they are going to be much better.

People will think this is crazy but I could see White being the first guy off the bench next year.

Utoff is a better option at the 3 because he can handle, shoot and is an excellent passer.

You start Mike, Dev, Utoff, Basabe Woody and then come off the bench with White, Clemmons, and Gabe.

People will think this is crazy but I could see White being the first guy off the bench next year.

Utoff is a better option at the 3 because he can handle, shoot and is an excellent passer.

You start Mike, Dev, Utoff, Basabe Woody and then come off the bench with White, Clemmons, and Gabe.

I'd be willing to be my house that White is the starter next year. There is no way Utoff starts ahead of white. Utoff hasn't even seen the floor in CBB and you have him starting ahead of a guy who was a freshman all b10 and the second leading scorer and rebounder as a soph. Ok, be honest...are you freaking high?

Problem is he is a currently a very poor jump shooter with a weird shot. It sounds easy to just say improve jump shooting but hes along way away from that.

If you take any players biggest weakness and turn it into a strength than obviously they are going to be much better.

If he works as hard as some swear this should be something that he can accomplish.

I highly doubt Aaron will be coming off the bench, but I could easily see Utoff being Basabe's replacement off the bench instead of 15.

I'd be willing to be my house that White is the starter next year. There is no way Utoff starts ahead of white. Utoff hasn't even seen the floor in CBB and you have him starting ahead of a guy who was a freshman all b10 and the second leading scorer and rebounder as a soph. Ok, be honest...are you freaking high?

Did I say I thought it would happen? No.

If it did happen it would be latter in the year not right away and Utoff would have to be as good as people think he will be.

White is not a good fit at the 3 and hes not as good of a 4 as Basabe is right now IMO.

This team needs to find a way to get better at scoring in the half court and playing a power forward who can't shoot or penetrate at the 3 spot is part of the problem.

How ever it works out the key to improving is getting everyone in their natural positions. Get White back to the 4 spot and having all of those minutes split between he and Basabe. All the 5 minutes split with Woody/Gabe and then having Utoff/Marble at the 3 and 2-1 Marble Gessel Clemmons and Ogelsby/Jok (whoever can shoot)

With Uthoff and Meyer eligible, does #15 even see the floor next year?

How long before Ingram transfers?

With Uthoff and Meyer eligible, does #15 even see the floor next year?

How long before Ingram transfers?

Im not sure why he was getting minutes at the end of this year after Gabe broke out.

I don't care if he plays some at the 4 but stop putting him in at center for crying out loud.

Latest posts