A team full of six men.

HawkIreign

Is it just me or is this team loaded with guys that you would love to have be the first man of you bench if you're a top 25 team.

think it could be just you. remember there are two freshman, two sophmores and a junior in the starting five.

think it could be just you. remember there are two freshman, two sophmores and a junior in the starting five.

And not one guy that you can trust to come out a play big on a night to night basis. Nice to see that this youth arguement could find its way into yet another topic though.

Is it just me or is this team loaded with guys that you would love to have be the first man of you bench if you're a top 25 team.

I agree with this, and I've thought similiar things, but I wouldn't even say they have to be 6th men. If Gatens was the 3rd of 4th option and May was your 4th or 5th, thats a pretty good situation. If Payne is the backup pg, it's the same way. The lack of top flight Big Ten talent is just so obvious with this team.

And not one guy that you can trust to come out a play big on a night to night basis. Nice to see that this youth arguement could find its way into yet another topic though.
How can it be an excuse when it's the truth? These are kids, they are not going to be consistent on a nightly basis. If it is so easy why are you not out there as a 18-20 year old racking up double doubles or better?

I've also heard that the saying that, this far into the season (23 games now) that there are no more freshmen on a team.

And let's not even imply that a junior is "young". That's ridiculous. Players can contribute before their senior seasons, you know.

I've noticed someone posted a stat about the Hawkeyes being 10th youngest team in college basketball or whatever. Can someone tell me where to find this info?

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Blkngld, the guys are young and could be very good in a year or 2. My concern is that we continue to use youth as an excuse and you always have to look to the future to see signs of contending in the upper half of the conference.

At some point it has to matter what you have NOW, and I think we are about at this point in the Lickliter era. Very few coaches, especially in BB, would keep their job after 3 years of this ****. Next year has to be a do or die year!

I got a chuckle out of your thread name!!

Here's a ? for you all.

Who will end up with the better freshman year? Gatens freshman season or Eric Mays?

Gatens put up some nice scoring numbers & May is very athletic adding a lot on the court with points, blocks, steals, rebounds etc.

How can it be an excuse when it's the truth? These are kids, they are not going to be consistent on a nightly basis. If it is so easy why are you not out there as a 18-20 year old racking up double doubles or better?

Thats easy. I'm a fat, balding middle age white man that couldn't play basketball to begin with.

Here's a ? for you all.

Who will end up with the better freshman year? Gatens freshman season or Eric Mays?

Gatens put up some nice scoring numbers & May is very athletic adding a lot on the court with points, blocks, steals, rebounds etc.

I like May better than Gatens right now. I'm sure I'll get bashed for saying this about the hometown boy but I just don't see why everyone is so in love with him.

I think I just watched another one of his shots get sent into the cheap seats. In all honesty I don't think I've ever seen someone get as many shots blocked as he does.

Thats easy. I'm a fat, balding middle age white man that couldn't play basketball to begin with.

Yeah, I love it when people act like if you can't play D1 basetball, then you can't have an opinion (unless it's positive).

So I guess Rick Majerus has no room to criticize his team's play either, going by that logic. :)

I like May better than Gatens right now. I'm sure I'll get bashed for saying this about the hometown boy but I just don't see why everyone is so in love with him.

I think I just watched another one of his shots get sent into the cheap seats. In all honesty I don't think I've ever seen someone get as many shots blocked as he does.

He most likely gets the best defender on him each night. He needs his teammates to hit some shots to take the pressure off him. He's only as good as the other shooting guard. When nobody is hitting consistently, they can target him. He does seem to get many blocked, but he at least gets to the rim. I like that even though they often get blocked.

Yeah, I love it when people act like if you can't play D1 basetball, then you can't have an opinion (unless it's positive).

So I guess Rick Majerus has no room to criticize his team's play either, going by that logic. :)

Let's go get a drink and discuss it.

Here's a ? for you all.

I think it's May. Matt's done some tremendous things and has really taken a pounding playing for this team. But Eric seems to have far more athleticism. He and Payne will be the spark plugs for this team in the future, the ones who make it go (if allowed to by the coaching staff.)

May is the player who most excites me on this team, makes me think there's a future. On the live chat last night we were hoping he would have a chance to block a Tinsdale shot. He seems to have the athletic ability to do it.

At this point I would have to agree somewhat. It's obvious that some of these guys have been put in starting roles much earlier than they would have been for an experienced team. However, I hope being thrown into the fire at a young age will only benefit them in the years coming. They will be experienced players as sophomores and juniors and hopefully Lick will be able to develop the players and the chemistry of the team to be more efficient on offense.

I agree with this being a team of role players, but I also understand that we will probably never get the first option type of guys. Experience will help them but I don't like the we are young argument at the college level. Experience does not = talent. Our players have some talent or they wouldn't be playing DI. They might not have big ten talent. If we could just get 1 darn good player each year then our role players would be a lot better, but without that no matter how much experience we have we will be very mediocre at best.

At this point I would have to agree somewhat. It's obvious that some of these guys have been put in starting roles much earlier than they would have been for an experienced team. However, I hope being thrown into the fire at a young age will only benefit them in the years coming. They will be experienced players as sophomores and juniors and hopefully Lick will be able to develop the players and the chemistry of the team to be more efficient on offense.

Thats what you would hope but it seems like Cole has got worse and Gatens has been less than efficient.

I agree with this being a team of role players, but I also understand that we will probably never get the first option type of guys. Experience will help them but I don't like the we are young argument at the college level. Experience does not = talent. Our players have some talent or they wouldn't be playing DI. They might not have big ten talent. If we could just get 1 darn good player each year then our role players would be a lot better, but without that no matter how much experience we have we will be very mediocre at best.
Maybe not under Lick but he've had some pretty good first option guys. Haluska, Tyler Smith, Pierre, and Recker. Actually GAtens wouldn't have even started on the Horner, Pierce, Haluska, Brunner, Hanson team and wouldn't have been the first guy of the bench all the time with Doug Thomas being an option.

Latest posts