A Splash will be made with the O-coordinator hire

simpsonllp

Just my opinion. Norm's system works. It worked quite well more years than not. Phil Parker probably knows Norm's system better than anyone. There's no reason to fix what was working. Just plug and play.

Assuming Vandenberg improves from last year, and Rudock pans out, we're set at quarterback for the next three seasons. We finally have a WR coach that can recruit WR's who have the ability to at least flirt with the idea of getting drafted in the NFL. Our reputation for molding TE's and Olineman speaks for itself. Olineman and TE's will continue to flow into this program with ease. Phil Parker is going to be paid well under the going rate for Big 10 defensive coordinators leaving extra cash to go out and make a splash.

This program is a nice setup for an aspiring offensive coordinator. This program needs some excitement again. It needs more output on offense. I don't think we'll totally abandon our offensive roots which is run the football, but I think we'll hire a brand name o-coordinator that will get the nation's attention and they'll be compensated quite well.

You are right Simpson...Kirk is going to wow us with the OC.....will it be Erb or Campbell? I'm on the edge of my seat with excitement!

I am hoping it is Campbell. I also hope they bring someone in with play calling experience to help Soup out, and serve as either QB’s or TE’s coach.

I agree...and I hope it is.

Not sure KF wants to go out w/ a rookie signal caller as OC, although he did suggest he will be here for 10 more yrs at the presser (followed by a snort but he seemed to be somewhat serious). Soup never called an offense before. He was asst head coach at Mich, though, so maybe he is qualified and will be very good at it. Just no evidence. I think being O.C. might be harder than Head Coach.

There's a knack to being a good coordinator. Norm Parker had that knack of knowing when to throw in a stunt or when to dial up a blitz or when to press cover. Was our defense frustrating at times - yes. But the numbers speak for themselves and Norm knew how and when to throw in wrinkles which often led to us being in the top 25% of the nation in scoring defense and rushing defense.

I never saw that knack from KOK. Sometimes there were glimpses, but never consistency. Rarely did we scratch where it itched. KOK was fortunate enough to sit at the chess table, but he rarely did anything special.

We need a proven o-coordinator who's done it before at the BCS level and who has a positive track record. We need a proven offensive mind, not a position coach moving up the ranks who's never called plays at the BSC level. I don't want Soup at all at o-coordinator. Soup is an excellent recruiter and WR coach. We need him there to continue our up-tick in WR recruiting and talent level.

If soup doesn't get the oc role he wont be here for much longer. It's only a matter of time before he gets an oc role or a head coaching job at a non-BCS school. If we want to keep him, we need to promote him to coordinator.

I would like Soup as OC also. I would be happy to keep him on the staff and have him call plays. I think we have Rudock for 3 years after Vandy is gone, no? So 4 more years of solid QB play if it all pans out.

This fascination with Soup as o coordinator is hard to fathom. He has done a very good job with the receivers wherever he has been so I agree completely that he is an excellent assistant coach. Having said that, what evidence is there that he is coordinator material. He has never called a play anywhere he has been; he has never designed an offense or worked with quarterbacks. Hiring him might well work out, but there is nothing in his background to suggest that such a move is anywhere near the slam dunk so many posters believe it to be. I would much rather have someone with a successful track record as an offensive coordinator or at least a quarterback coach.

Latest posts