A Splash will be made with the O-coordinator hire

Dependable rule of thumb: when in doubt, assume KF will take the conservative and predictable route.

Campbell will be OC. And if not him - Erb.

Norvell is not going anywhere unless he can bring the spread with him. That's not going to happen, so cross norvell of the list.

There's a knack to being a good coordinator. Norm Parker had that knack of knowing when to throw in a stunt or when to dial up a blitz or when to press cover. Was our defense frustrating at times - yes. But the numbers speak for themselves and Norm knew how and when to throw in wrinkles which often led to us being in the top 25% of the nation in scoring defense and rushing defense.

I never saw that knack from KOK. Sometimes there were glimpses, but never consistency. Rarely did we scratch where it itched. KOK was fortunate enough to sit at the chess table, but he rarely did anything special.

We need a proven o-coordinator who's done it before at the BCS level and who has a positive track record. We need a proven offensive mind, not a position coach moving up the ranks who's never called plays at the BSC level. I don't want Soup at all at o-coordinator. Soup is an excellent recruiter and WR coach. We need him there to continue our up-tick in WR recruiting and talent level.
Agreed. We need a proven guy at this point in time. Kirk would actually be uncharacteristically gambling if he hires a guy from within for this. Campbell may turn out to be a great OC, or he might not. Can Kirk afford to gamble here at the start of this next era?

Either way we will probably have to wait a couple months to find out what we already assumed and it will be Cambell. Which actually I am fine with, but just go ahead and mkae a decision already.

If soup doesn't get the oc role he wont be here for much longer. It's only a matter of time before he gets an oc role or a head coaching job at a non-BCS school. If we want to keep him, we need to promote him to coordinator.

You're making the assumption that Soup desires to climb the proverbial coaching ladder to a head gig, vs. sitting tight at a program he's comfortable with, at a job he excels at. Nearly 20 years as a position coach.

This fascination with Soup as o coordinator is hard to fathom. He has done a very good job with the receivers wherever he has been so I agree completely that he is an excellent assistant coach. Having said that, what evidence is there that he is coordinator material. He has never called a play anywhere he has been; he has never designed an offense or worked with quarterbacks. Hiring him might well work out, but there is nothing in his background to suggest that such a move is anywhere near the slam dunk so many posters believe it to be. I would much rather have someone with a successful track record as an offensive coordinator or at least a quarterback coach.

You summed up my thoughts exactly. I don't understand why some fans think he is the next logical choice. Yes, he has done a nice job with the receivers but being a position coach is much different than a coordinator position. Why not Reese Morgan then?

This fascination with Soup as o coordinator is hard to fathom. He has done a very good job with the receivers wherever he has been so I agree completely that he is an excellent assistant coach. Having said that, what evidence is there that he is coordinator material. He has never called a play anywhere he has been; he has never designed an offense or worked with quarterbacks. Hiring him might well work out, but there is nothing in his background to suggest that such a move is anywhere near the slam dunk so many posters believe it to be. I would much rather have someone with a successful track record as an offensive coordinator or at least a quarterback coach.

Really? What kind of an idiot university hires a position coach to be an offensive coordinator or head coach of a team in a BCS conference? Did I say position coach and head coach? Why does that wring a bell? Offensive line coach in NFL and head coach of a team in a BCS conference. Sounds very familiar too me? If I had to wager which position coach (between offensive line coach and wide receiver coach) would be better qualified to be a head coach I would have to guess the receiver coach because of the complexity of knowing the different defensive schemes. As compared to "Hey big ugly get out there and shove someone out of the way and remember to move your feet.", and we are not talking about head coach here we are talking about offensive coordinator. I think Soup would do a fine job. Probably better than what we have been used to.

Either way we will probably have to wait a couple months to find out what we already assumed and it will be Cambell. Which actually I am fine with, but just go ahead and mkae a decision already.

I don't think we'll wait a couple of month. I think they laid out the time line already.

Really? What kind of an idiot university hires a position coach to be an offensive coordinator or head coach of a team in a BCS conference? Did I say position coach and head coach? Why does that wring a bell? Offensive line coach in NFL and head coach of a team in a BCS conference. Sounds very familiar too me? If I had to wager which position coach (between offensive line coach and wide receiver coach) would be better qualified to be a head coach I would have to guess the receiver coach because of the complexity of knowing the different defensive schemes. As compared to "Hey big ugly get out there and shove someone out of the way and remember to move your feet.=", and we are not talking about head coach here we are talking about offensive coordinator. I think Soup would do a fine job. Probably better than what we have been used to.
=
You honestly think that OL are just big uglies that don't have to think? I would wager that the OL is as complex as the WR positions.

Just my opinion. Norm's system works. It worked quite well more years than not. Phil Parker probably knows Norm's system better than anyone. There's no reason to fix what was working. Just plug and play.

Assuming Vandenberg improves from last year, and Rudock pans out, we're set at quarterback for the next three seasons. We finally have a WR coach that can recruit WR's who have the ability to at least flirt with the idea of getting drafted in the NFL. Our reputation for molding TE's and Olineman speaks for itself. Olineman and TE's will continue to flow into this program with ease. Phil Parker is going to be paid well under the going rate for Big 10 defensive coordinators leaving extra cash to go out and make a splash.

This program is a nice setup for an aspiring offensive coordinator. This program needs some excitement again. It needs more output on offense. I don't think we'll totally abandon our offensive roots which is run the football, but I think we'll hire a brand name o-coordinator that will get the nation's attention and they'll be compensated quite well.

Good one! Funny joke!!!

I agree, but Ferentz is going to hire exactly who he wants. I wouldn't be surprised at anything at this point.

Really? What kind of an idiot university hires a position coach to be an offensive coordinator or head coach of a team in a BCS conference? Did I say position coach and head coach? Why does that wring a bell? Offensive line coach in NFL and head coach of a team in a BCS conference. Sounds very familiar too me? If I had to wager which position coach (between offensive line coach and wide receiver coach) would be better qualified to be a head coach I would have to guess the receiver coach because of the complexity of knowing the different defensive schemes. As compared to "Hey big ugly get out there and shove someone out of the way and remember to move your feet.=", and we are not talking about head coach here we are talking about offensive coordinator. I think Soup would do a fine job. Probably better than what we have been used to.
=

if you really believe this than you dont understand the zone blocking scheme and the athleticism and intelligence it takes for a lineman to be good at it. they make call at the line of scrimmage and changes as the play develops more so than an option route dependent on zone or man coverage. one of the simplest positions on the field is wr. i prefer soup because he was a wr and rb coach and has played both offense and defense and been an associative head coach. to me that is a decent resume.

=
You honestly think that OL are just big uglies that don't have to think? I would wager that the OL is as complex as the WR positions.

I had heard or read a few years back that off lineman in college usually have a higher grade point average as a group of players. I cant remember if this was an SI article or just mentioned during a game when they talked about scholar athletes. When a defense shifts and new blocking assignments are called out you better hope all your linemen are smart enough to make the adjustment. Especially in a zone blocking scheme with all the reach blocking and double team then move to the next level blocks.

Coach Soup has a great resume but it comes down to whether KF thinks he can set up an offensive game plan and modify it during a game.

I think KOK was a great person but I was never satisfied with the overall playcalling and adjustments, or lack of, during games. Not sure if Soup would be worse than what we have and may be better.

=

I know the offensive line is up there calling out signals to each other on blocking assignments, but really how many defensive players do they have to worry about at each position? One of two lineman and a linebacker. The main point I was making is that most major coaches started somewhere. KF is the example I was eluding to. Most coaches start out as position coaches and to thing they can't be successful is just plain silly. Would I like to see some new blood at the offensive coordinator position? Yes! I also wanted that for the defensive coordinator position. If we stay status quo with the same plays and the same defense without at least improving the talent level of the players we recruit then expect eight wins a year to be the high water mark and six wins a year to be the low water mark. We can only hope if KF stays on the loyalty kick that maybe one of the two coordinators will give us a different look that the previous coordinators.

Latest posts