A small rumor making the rounds

FreddyBrown

Jon might be able to verify: Van Coleman has volunteered his assistance to Fran to fill him in on what he knows about local and Midwest recruiting opportunities for Iowa, as he has with past coaches (some of whom inexplicably did not take Van up on the offer), and a meeting has already been set for that purpose.

It's another small, positive sign, that Fran isn't going to ignore a potentially valuable local resource.

I can verify that Van and Fran have a relationship that goes way back, and that Fran has told Van he looks forward to meeting with him soon.

I love all the connections it seems Fran has made in 2-3 days'. All the reaching out is going to help the program a great deal.

Van and Fran.. Has a nice ring to it.

Great sign that Fran is already reaching out.. The anti-Lickliter, to be sure.

What a powerful ally Van Coleman could be.

I agree, if Lick and Alford would have done this it might have opened a few more doors with other AAU coaches for them and Lick would probably still be here today. But he was to damn stubborn and wanted to do things his way.

I agree, if Lick and Alford would have done this it might have opened a few more doors with other AAU coaches for them and Lick would probably still be here today. But he was to damn stubborn and wanted to do things his way.
+1
Lick was too damn stubborn, came in talking about the Butler way. Never changed offense or defense even when down 25. Ran same no matter what

Van is a guy from the CR area who started out as a serious hoops recruiting junkie and turned it into a business. He's been around for at least a couple of decades, and currently does business through a premium site: hoopmasters.com

I'm sure he also sells more detailed scouting reports to programs all over the country, and would like to have Iowa as a client--but they probably already are a client. I think it's fair to say that Van is also an Iowa fan, and what he's offering is not for business development but because he really wants to see the new staff do well.

If a coach or a fan wants to find out who the prospects are in Iowa and surrounding states are and what the status of their recruitment and interests is, Van is a very good source.

He has certainly learned from Alford and Lickliter's mistakes.

I disagree, Spank. I think Barta learned from both Bowlsby's and his own mistakes. I don't think that the things Coach plans on doing are any different than he's done at each stop along the way. It's just how he does things. Barta learned and hired a guy who does those things.