A-Rob

I compare ARob to a guy like Mike Hart. Really shouldn't scare you like a Beanie, or Shonn, or Clay, or Mendenhall. But by having good vision and running tough can nickle and dime you to death.

[ But by having good vision and running tough can nickle and dime you to death.[/QUOTE]

Great point. A-Rob is a good get the job done back who doesn't need to be flashy.

The OP is getting banged up pretty nicely for his comparison, but I've thought that Robinson has certain similarities with Emmit Smith.

1. He rarely outruns anybody, but picks up big chunks of yards.
2. Breaks tackles regularly.
3. Plays hurt and runs hard when hurt (e.g., Robinson against OSU and Smith against the Giants)
4. As a general running style, he is kind of a pads forward-looking for contact guy, as opposed to Barry Sanders, Chris Johnson, et al that make you miss.

Is he as big, fast, talented, etc. as Emmit Smith? Of course not, but there are similarities in my uninformed opinion.

The OP is getting banged up pretty nicely for his comparison, but I've thought that Robinson has certain similarities with Emmit Smith.

1. He rarely outruns anybody, but picks up big chunks of yards.
2. Breaks tackles regularly.
3. Plays hurt and runs hard when hurt (e.g., Robinson against OSU and Smith against the Giants)
4. As a general running style, he is kind of a pads forward-looking for contact guy, as opposed to Barry Sanders, Chris Johnson, et al that make you miss.

Is he as big, fast, talented, etc. as Emmit Smith? Of course not, but there are similarities in my uninformed opinion.

Emmit was big and fast? That's news to me. The dude was a competitor to the Nth degree and he had the heart of a lion.

Anyhow, comparing ARob to Smith is a billionfold more applicable than comparing him to Barry.

Here's a funky thought ... what sort of yardage would Barry have had if he had played for the same Coyboy squads that Smith played for. Instead, Barry played for the Lions. So it goes sometimes ...

Just to clarify here, I am not saying that A-Rob can make people miss like Barry could.

I am just saying that both of their feet go 'wop wop wop' when they run

I compare ARob to a guy like Mike Hart. Really shouldn't scare you like a Beanie, or Shonn, or Clay, or Mendenhall. But by having good vision and running tough can nickle and dime you to death.
Your exactly right there man good comparison.

This isn't true about JH and AR. It was JH and Jeff Brinson, but Brinson had breathing issues, then a foot issue. AR was not considered. He was luckily discovered last year.

Brinson was definitely up there in consideration to some degree ... however, the asthma issues definitely figured in. However, contrary to your claim, ARob was in the mix in 2008 too. ARob wasn't just "discovered" before the '09 season.

What IS true is that after the '08 season, Brinson jumped to the #2 RB spot. Then, after Hampton got injured, Brinson was the #1 back. However, during camp prior to the season, Brinson went down to a pretty major ankle injury ... and obviously that same injury proved to be season-ending because he never felt confident on it.

Anyhow, while all the above was unfolding, ARob had given the safety spot a shot because he's such a team-oriented guy and the safety-route seemed to be the best route that he could take to both help the team and see the field early. Well, as BOTH ARob and the coaches mentioned afterwards ... it turns out that safety wasn't such a good fit for ARob after all. However, as thing turned out, ARob was needed more at RB ... so he switched back to RB and the rest is pretty much history.

And, for the record, it sounds like White is playing kind of in a scenario that is opposite to that of ARob ... with the additional exception that White is a walk-on. Anyhow, he's another really team-oriented guy who the coaches seem to really love ... and he keeps on ping-ponging between safety and RB. The key difference is that after its all said and done ... White has a legit shot to be a starting safety for us, either after Greenwood or Sash leaves. Anyhow, keep an eye on him ... look for him to be an impact player for us on special teams in 2010.

To me, it looks like Arob drags his feet. Just a different gate then I'm used to seeing. I don't have a comparison for it. And I know nothing of this "wop, wop, wop."

I like A Rob, but he is not in the same league as Barry.

"He's the guy.. Thats the greatest running back right there". Emmitt Smith (pointing to Barry Sanders) when asked about being the greatest running back

Last edited:
I realize this is a ridiculous comparison, but for some reason I think of Barry Sanders when I see A-Rob run.

I swear his feet go wop wop wop wop

I suggest you watch tape of both these guys back to back, and compare them again. Granted most backs of this era grew up watching Barry do some inhuman feats of agility but to compare anybody to barry sanders is just pretty funny. The closest Iowa back to barry sanders would be Tavian Banks because in the open field they were borderline untouchable in one on one situations.

They make a 'wop wop wop' sound when he runs? Maybe someone let the air out of his Nikes.

As college-player comparisons go ... I agree with others that this one might be the most accurate.

Futhermore, the scenario was similar too. Hart was something like a 3rd stringer but the guys ahead of him got injured. Anyhow, once he was given his shot ... he made the most of his opportunities and held down the starting spot the entire duration when he was healthy.

Let's just hope that ARob enjoys better health than Hart.

I suggest you watch tape of both these guys back to back, and compare them again. Granted most backs of this era grew up watching Barry do some inhuman feats of agility but to compare anybody to barry sanders is just pretty funny. The closest Iowa back to barry sanders would be Tavian Banks because in the open field they were borderline untouchable in one on one situations.

Respectfully dissagree. Ronnie Harmon was the closest comparrison to Barry. Ronnie made some unreal cuts, jukes and spins. He had the best feet I have ever seen an Iowa RB posess. He seemed to be able to cut at full speed and get back to full speed quicker than any back I can recall at Iowa.

Granted, Ronnie harmon was no Barry , and all in all they were quite different types of backs but Harmon did possess Barrys jukes and moves. Had he also possessed his low center of gravity and churning leg power we might be talking about RH as one of the NFLs greatests as well.

To me, it looks like Arob drags his feet. Just a different gate then I'm used to seeing. I don't have a comparison for it. And I know nothing of this "wop, wop, wop."

Yep. He looks like he's running on the side of his feet, very strange. But he runs hard and doesn't go down easily.

Emmit was big and fast? That's news to me. The dude was a competitor to the Nth degree and he had the heart of a lion.

Anyhow, comparing ARob to Smith is a billionfold more applicable than comparing him to Barry.

Here's a funky thought ... what sort of yardage would Barry have had if he had played for the same Coyboy squads that Smith played for. Instead, Barry played for the Lions. So it goes sometimes ...

Like Robinson, Emmit was not big or fast. I'm just saying Robinson is not even as big or fast as Emmit, but tends to remind of Smiths style.

Latest posts