A New Recruiting Low: Kid Picks Old Dominion Over Iowa

“But I like the coaches at Old Dominion better. I like the campus at Old Dominion better. I feel like I’ll be better off at Old Dominion.â€￾

This is pretty telling here.

This is pretty telling here.

Awwwwww SHOOOOOT!!!!!! Guess we better get some architects in Iowa City to start looking at changing the campus!

Good grief people you are looking way too far into this. Not everyone is going to like Iowa City. Not everyone is going to like the coaches. Not everyone is going to like the campus. He chose to remain loyal to his commitment at a smaller school. Big deal. Did you expect him to come right out and say something like "I chose to stay with Old Dominion because I don't think I can compete at the B10 level"? That could very well be what he's thinking internally, but of course he's not going to say that. Instead you guys prefer to assume the worst when reality suggests this is a lot more simple than some of you are trying to make it.

Awwwwww SHOOOOOT!!!!!! Guess we better get some architects in Iowa City to start looking at changing the campus!

Good grief people you are looking way too far into this. Not everyone is going to like Iowa City. Not everyone is going to like the coaches. Not everyone is going to like the campus. He chose to remain loyal to his commitment at a smaller school. Big deal. Did you expect him to come right out and say something like "I chose to stay with Old Dominion because I don't think I can compete at the B10 level"? That could very well be what he's thinking internally, but of course he's not going to say that. Instead you guys prefer to assume the worst when reality suggests this is a lot more simple than some of you are trying to make it.

Of course not, but if that's true, then I'm concerned that our coaches are even recruiting him in the first place.

Of course not, but if that's true, then I'm concerned that our coaches are even recruiting him in the first place.

Just because the coaches thought he had a chance to compete at this level doesn't mean he believed it. Some kids don't have what it takes. More than likely he would have been a project player who was expected to work his tail off and develop. While at Old Dominion he could coast and still be a starter. It's always possible he didn't think he could cut it.

To me the most telling thing was he said it's closer to home. Some kids just aren't willing to move a half a country away. In any event, I'm not going to worry to much about losing a three star DT. I think we can find another. Good luck Miles Fox.

The whole quote was bolded but I focused mainly on him liking the coaches better at Old Dominion. Couple that with him saying Iowa coaches focused on why they're better than ODU and it's no wonder why we didn't get him or others. If your focus and pitch is tearing down another team, it only screams desperation, especially when you're doing it to a team that only recently became a FBS school. Sell the school, sell the conference, sell the chance to be on TV. You don't go into a kid's living room and tell him that the school he chose is sh!t.

Fox committed to Old Dominion 8 months ago. He had built a relationship with their coaches over several years. Several of his high school teammates play at OD, so he has friends there. He likes their campus and it's close to home. It appears that the young man has strong character as he honors the commitment he had already made and knows exactly what he's looking for in a college. Iowa took a last minute shot and missed. There's no news here. No blackmark on Iowa's recruiting staff. They convinced the kid to visit the Iowa campus in the middle of winter without having built any kind of relationship with him - that's a positive. One of the most important factors in recruiting success is identifying and offering kids early, building relationships with them and their families while maintaining contact. The end result of hiring all new assistant coaches meant that new relationships with kids and high school coaches had to be built = a few lean years. This years current class is the highest rated class overall in the Ferentz coaching era. Haters scrambling for anything to hate, like rats scurrying around for any tidbit of moldy cheese or a dead bug. That's serious loyalty & pride!!

I like your post overall but the bolded part is not close to true. Ferentz' 2005 class ranked #8 nationally with a 3.35 average star rating on Scout - http://iowa.scout.com/a.z?s=8&p=9&c=14&yr=2005 - Rivals was similar. In 2011 we were #26/3.00. Last year was #41/2.95

Current Iowa class ranks #48 with 2.88 average rating. It's possible but unlikely we'll improve in next week, with so many teams ahead of us having undecided 4-5 stars in the wings.

This year's class is not "disastrous" as some have said. It's about average for the KF era. Unfortunately.

EDIT: just popped to #45/2.89 with Michael Ojemudia's committment - http://iowa.scout.com/player/190320-michael-ojemudia/news

Last edited:
Fox committed to Old Dominion 8 months ago. He had built a relationship with their coaches over several years. Several of his high school teammates play at OD, so he has friends there. He likes their campus and it's close to home. It appears that the young man has strong character as he honors the commitment he had already made and knows exactly what he's looking for in a college. Iowa took a last minute shot and missed. There's no news here. No blackmark on Iowa's recruiting staff. They convinced the kid to visit the Iowa campus in the middle of winter without having built any kind of relationship with him - that's a positive. One of the most important factors in recruiting success is identifying and offering kids early, building relationships with them and their families while maintaining contact. The end result of hiring all new assistant coaches meant that new relationships with kids and high school coaches had to be built = a few lean years. This years current class is the highest rated class overall in the Ferentz coaching era. Haters scrambling for anything to hate, like rats scurrying around for any tidbit of moldy cheese or a dead bug. That's serious loyalty & pride!!

I would guess Iowa had to persuade him a bit to come for a visit........the "you have nothing to lose approach". Pretty obvious to me that playing big time football and all the prestige attached was not an attraction to him. His needs and wants appear a bit different than that. Hey good for him to be able to know what he wants and not be persuaded to land somewhere he is not comfortable.

To use this case as a sign of a new bottom is not really a good case example in my opinion. There are plenty of other examples of our recruiting struggles that have been going on for years.............. trends supported by numerous examples not one-offs. By and large this is a non-news event.

.......highest rated class - no.......... above average overall - no, unless there are huge surprises (plural) in the finish which is not likely

This years current class is the highest rated class overall in the Ferentz coaching era.
This is an absolute fabrication and outright lie. It's not even close to being true. In fact, this could very well end up being the LOWEST ranked recruiting class in KF's tenure.

This is an absolute fabrication and outright lie. It's not even close to being true. In fact, this could very well end up being the LOWEST ranked recruiting class in KF's tenure.

Here's what Rivals has to say, at least since 2002:
2002 - 22 players, 55 stars, avg 2.50 stars
2003 - 22 players, 61 stars, avg 2.77 stars
2004 - 21 players, 52 stars, avg 2.48 stars (one 5-star)
2005 - 23 players, 74 stars, avg 3.22 stars (one 5-star)
2006 - 21 players, 57 stars, avg 2.71 stars
2007 - 22 players, 65 stars, avg 2.95 stars
2008 - 25 players, 62 stars, avg 2.48 stars
2009 - 20 players, 49 stars, avg 2.45 stars
2010 - 22 players, 65 stars, avg 2.95 stars
2011 - 25 players, 74 stars, avg 2.96 stars
2012 - 24 players, 70 stars, avg 2.92 stars
2013 - 22 players, 61 stars, avg 2.77 stars
2014 - 20 players, 55 stars, avg 2.75 stars

And so far, the verbal commits and current LOI:
2015 - 17 players, 49 stars, avg 2.88 stars

Looking at the raw numbers, this class has 5 others that rank higher. However, the star rankings aren't quite accurate as they show the high school position or maybe athlete. For example, Micah Hyde was a 2-star QB and Anthony Hitchens was a 2-star RB. Plus, if you go by star ratings the past two years should have been very good years as 2010, 2011 and 2012 were pretty high star ratings for us.

Now that Girls is putting IC on the map, I expect players to start looking at IC as a great place to go play football, get busted on the ped mall, and catch an STD from a moderately obese white chick from Chiburbia.

It sounds like our recruiting is back on track...sure we lost a kid to Old Dominion...but we just landed back to back decommits from Eastern Michigan and UNI.

Old Dominion also got a corner with a Wisconsin offer. Wisconsin must be a dumpster fire, too. Who knew?

Old Dominion is closer to Georgia and he likes an "urban" setting... It happens. It doesn't help that he visited during the dead of winter and his face probably hurt when he walked outside. Some of you don't understand how hard it is to get some of these southern kids to move to the Midwest. It's a reality people... get over it.

The thumbs down button is still off, right? :)

Do you think if they offered Ohio State ever loses a recruit to old dominion?

its only a "reality" if you're not a good program.