A New Recruiting Low: Kid Picks Old Dominion Over Iowa

Is there really a need for this thread? Kirk Ferentz doesn't recruit. His OC and DC's don't recruit. KF believes that even coaches deserve some kind of home life, so he limits recruiting demands accordingly.
That's all well and good but guys like Dantonio, Meyer, Bielema, etc. DO recruit. They DO demand that their Coordinators recruit. They DO demand that their assistant coaches put their jobs before their families.
When you're coaching against guys that are willing to do the things you don't want to do....you'll fail more often than not.
That's why KF is a .500 head coach.

Is there really a need for this thread? Kirk Ferentz doesn't recruit. His OC and DC's don't recruit. KF believes that even coaches deserve some kind of home life, so he limits recruiting demands accordingly.
That's all well and good but guys like Dantonio, Meyer, Bielema, etc. DO recruit. They DO demand that their Coordinators recruit. They DO demand that their assistant coaches put their jobs before their families.
When you're coaching against guys that are willing to do the things you don't want to do....you'll fail more often than not.

If he was out recruiting he would have time to cash those checks. Dantonio, Meyer, Bielema, etc. must have direct deposit.

Dear Lord, according to that article, this kid was not even old dominion's best recruit. Is their third highest rated recruit. I guess we are lucky they are not on our schedule in a few years?

I highly doubt the bolded line. So you honestly think that if one of the assistant coaches had a major life event (death of a parent, marriage for them or a close family member, birth of a child) that these guys would demand that their assistant go on the road and miss that major life event? Really? That would be a great way to burn through assistant coaches. I know if my job didn't let me off for my son's wedding that I would have left for another company.

I highly doubt the bolded line. So you honestly think that if one of the assistant coaches had a major life event (death of a parent, marriage for them or a close family member, birth of a child) that these guys would demand that their assistant go on the road and miss that major life event? Really? That would be a great way to burn through assistant coaches. I know if my job didn't let me off for my son's wedding that I would have left for another company.
Show me where I said that a head coach would deny one of his assistant coaches family time, in the event of a major life event? I didn't. You're so desperate to defend the indefensible that you grasp for arguing points that do not exist. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Old Dominion is closer to Georgia and he likes an "urban" setting... It happens. It doesn't help that he visited during the dead of winter and his face probably hurt when he walked outside. Some of you don't understand how hard it is to get some of these southern kids to move to the Midwest. It's a reality people... get over it.
We're in the middle of some of the best January weather that we've had in years. It's been near 40 degrees in IC for the last week. Dead of winter, my a**.

This is actually the highest rated recruiting class of the post-Norm/KOK era in terms of average rating per recruit of 2.81 (per rivals). I’m gonna wait til signing day before casting judgment, as there’s still some talented, uncommitted recruits.
This is like saying that one of your midget children is taller than the others. It's only an accomplishment when it's observed within the context of the abject failure that surrounds it.

The kids name is Miles fox. A 270 pound defensive lineman out of Georgia. I like that we are recruiting the southeast a little bit, but seriously, getting out recruited by a no-name program is just embarrassing. Our coach literally makes eight times more money than their coach.

Even if the kid doesn't have any talent, he doesn't want a free ride at Iowa? LOL.

-------Is there really a need for this thread? Kirk Ferentz doesn't recruit. His OC and DC's don't recruit. KF believes that even coaches deserve some kind of home life, so he limits recruiting demands accordingly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post of the week

I am not happy about current affairs here...but... there could be alot of reasons why the kid didn't want to come here.. One,maybe he wanted to attend a small school with small classes taught by real professors. We got in late,so he may have established a relationship with that coaching staff and felt real comfortable going there. Maybe he didn't feel he could compete at the BIG level and wanted to go where he knows he can play. It would suck to be on the bench for a career and all the work that goes into just being apart of this team.

Matt Hughes is one player that thought coming out of HS he was getting in over his head and wasn't sure he could compete at that this level.

Or maybe he's from Atlanta and thought moving to small town Iowa wasn't in his best interest. Getting kids on campus multiple times to see what Iowa is all about helps, but I'm guessing this kid didn't know a lot about IC before he made his visit.

If he did he made a poor decision, I see youth a lore more these days make poor inexplicable decisions. Only in a future years will these kids realize their errors.

-------Is there really a need for this thread? Kirk Ferentz doesn't recruit. His OC and DC's don't recruit. KF believes that even coaches deserve some kind of home life, so he limits recruiting demands accordingly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post of the week

Kirk recruits. He just sucks at it.

The kind of guy who makes excuses for when a former Big 10 power and Orange Bowl winner with the nation's 4th highest paid coach loses a recruit to Old Dominion is the kind of guy who thinks the team's goals are to "win bowl championships" and thinks success is not a matter of wins and losses but more a matter of effort...and grade point averages. Are you on Kirk's staff, by chance?

You really have no idea what kind of guy I am. I've lived in the Southeast, in the middle of one of the the biggest hotbeds of college football, for 30 years. I've spoken with many southern athletes and former athletes, several who now play on Sundays, about this EXACT issue... Have you? I don't presume to know "what kind of guy" you are, so maybe you have.

Like it or not, it's difficult to get southern kids to come to a place like Iowa City. As great as you and I think it is, they don't necessarily see it that way. It's even more difficult when they're from an urban setting. Does it happen? Of course it does, and it's almost always because they didn't get the offer they wanted down here.

By the way, I think our recruiting sucks, but certainly not because we lost this kid to Old Dominion. If we'd have been in on him from the beginning, the result would have probably been different. I couldn't give two ***** (rhymes with hits) about our grade point average or how hard we try. I'm also tired of going to crappy bowls. Believe it or not, I actually want to win as much as you claim to. However, I realize that sometimes facts are just facts, and not excuses.

Show me where I said that a head coach would deny one of his assistant coaches family time, in the event of a major life event? I didn't. You're so desperate to defend the indefensible that you grasp for arguing points that do not exist. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Here's what you said: They DO demand that their assistant coaches put their jobs before their families.

If you're demanding that your assistants are putting their job ahead of your family, then you are denying them family time. You are demanding they do not attend major life events. I'm not desperate. I'm NOT putting words in your mouth. You're the one that typed this line that I bolded in my first response.

Here's what you said: They DO demand that their assistant coaches put their jobs before their families.

If you're demanding that your assistants are putting their job ahead of your family, then you are denying them family time. You are demanding they do not attend major life events. I'm not desperate. I'm NOT putting words in your mouth. You're the one that typed this line that I bolded in my first response.

Pretty clear you don't know any current or former FBS assistant coaches. It's an all-consuming job, sleeping at the office is common, and major life events are about the only family items they *do* get to put ahead of football. It fried EJ, it fries a lot of guys, but obviously we rarely hear about the ones who move on to other careers.

I think the Iowa staff works very hard at recruiting. They just haven't been super-effective of late.

Some silly comments in this thread, like "ITS HARD TO GET SOUTHERNERS TO MOVE, WELL WHAT ABOUT HODGE?" as if the exception proves the rule. It's absolutely harder to get southern kids north, you're a fool to think otherwise. Harder doesn't equal impossible. You have to be a VERY good recruiter, and/or have an exceptional program like OSU or Michigan. Biels pulled it off in Florida, obviously, and Hayden had that good Texas pipeline.

But... the number one predictor in recruiting is distance from home. Scott Kennedy at Scout (among others) ran the numbers in detail a few years back, and it was definitive.

Last edited:
Or maybe he's from Atlanta and thought moving to small town Iowa wasn't in his best interest. Getting kids on campus multiple times to see what Iowa is all about helps, but I'm guessing this kid didn't know a lot about IC before he made his visit.
Everyone knows it's just a bunch of cornfields and combines.

Fox committed to Old Dominion 8 months ago. He had built a relationship with their coaches over several years. Several of his high school teammates play at OD, so he has friends there. He likes their campus and it's close to home. It appears that the young man has strong character as he honors the commitment he had already made and knows exactly what he's looking for in a college. Iowa took a last minute shot and missed. There's no news here. No blackmark on Iowa's recruiting staff. They convinced the kid to visit the Iowa campus in the middle of winter without having built any kind of relationship with him - that's a positive. One of the most important factors in recruiting success is identifying and offering kids early, building relationships with them and their families while maintaining contact. The end result of hiring all new assistant coaches meant that new relationships with kids and high school coaches had to be built = a few lean years. This years current class is the highest rated class overall in the Ferentz coaching era. Haters scrambling for anything to hate, like rats scurrying around for any tidbit of moldy cheese or a dead bug. That's serious loyalty & pride!!

Iowa City is nearly as big as Atlanta so I'm not buying the urban setting argument. Hasn't he followed the police blotter in the Daily Iowan??