A New Hawkeye Coach Down the Road???

And how old is Mark Farley , maybe too old for some.

Farley is lucky to have the job he's got. He has a rap of being prickly and tough on assistants. Anyway, this is all interesting banter, except of course for the fact that Ferentz isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Two years ago, I was singing the praises of Ex NDSU coach Craig Bohl for HC at Iowa. If Iowa lost 20 starters, that would buy KF another 3 years to acquire more crappy talent.

socal, I was running to an appointment so my post was a bit abrubt. Iowa needs to scour the country. A high level coordinator from a P5 school, or a HC with years of experience. For example, a DC or OC at a P5 conference with 5 plus years of measurable success. The difference between FBS and FCS can be a lot. The quantity of scholarships isn't even the same.

We need to be careful that, as fans, we haven't bought fully into kfootballs schtick that we're not sexy. Iowa City itself compares to most college towns and our program has more money than all other programs but 10. Of course we're not going to get Nick Saban or Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer. But that doesn't mean we go get a FCS coach who has one season's experience has a HC. Now, if he was the DC for the 1st 3 championships, as you pointed out, then a DC job at Iowa or any other P5 school would be an excellent opportunity for him to jump up in levels and hone his skills. And I'd wager a coach like Patterson could be lured to Iowa under the right circumstances. We need to keep in mind that if O$U wins the NC and with UM hiring Harbaugh, the B1G would have a completely different persona; one of power. Iowa needs to hire the right coach and ride that wave.

Also, as fans, we can't think in terms of hiring the next coach that will be here for 15 plus years. We need to learn to live with hiring coaches to win and realize there will be turnover. Iowa is in a prime spot to move forward and take advantage of being in the B1G West. kfootball has blown that opportunity, so far.

This...reread if you skimmed.

I don't know what Gary Patterson's plans at TCU are or if he's interested in looking around, but, I think I'd take him in a minute. Plus, he'd have ties to Texas.

socal, I was running to an appointment so my post was a bit abrubt. Iowa needs to scour the country. A high level coordinator from a P5 school, or a HC with years of experience. For example, a DC or OC at a P5 conference with 5 plus years of measurable success. The difference between FBS and FCS can be a lot. The quantity of scholarships isn't even the same.

We need to be careful that, as fans, we haven't bought fully into kfootballs schtick that we're not sexy. Iowa City itself compares to most college towns and our program has more money than all other programs but 10. Of course we're not going to get Nick Saban or Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer. But that doesn't mean we go get a FCS coach who has one season's experience has a HC. Now, if he was the DC for the 1st 3 championships, as you pointed out, then a DC job at Iowa or any other P5 school would be an excellent opportunity for him to jump up in levels and hone his skills. And I'd wager a coach like Patterson could be lured to Iowa under the right circumstances. We need to keep in mind that if O$U wins the NC and with UM hiring Harbaugh, the B1G would have a completely different persona; one of power. Iowa needs to hire the right coach and ride that wave.

Also, as fans, we can't think in terms of hiring the next coach that will be here for 15 plus years. We need to learn to live with hiring coaches to win and realize there will be turnover. Iowa is in a prime spot to move forward and take advantage of being in the B1G West. kfootball has blown that opportunity, so far.

Whether you fall into the "apologist" or "hater" camp (or somewhere in between), that post has to make a lot of sense to all.

I'm more in favor of the HS coach that doesn't want to play defense and goes for it on every 4th down since punting is a failure and always does an onside kick.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ArvadaHawk

This...reread if you skimmed.

Dead on. Iowa is able to pay for a top ten program. They are paying Ferentz the 9th highest salary of any college coach, yet as of right now on realtimerpi we are 66, that's right. 65 teams better than Iowa.

Most schools don't have this luxury. Everyone wants to win, but most don't have the money. We do!!! We don't have to be worse than 65 other teams. We don't have to get beat on a consistent basis by a horrible excuse for a team like Iowa State.

Don't listen to those Ferentz lover trolls who say that you can't recruit here. Yeah, it's not a warm climate, but it's a very nice college town. Look at a lot of the most successful football schools and the towns they are in and many are not that impressive, or sexy.. Snyder at KSU has a VERY good team this year. Have you ever been to Manhatten, KS? It's a complete shithole. NOBODY would ever go there because it was SEXY. They go there because Snyder is a GREAT coach and they have a great program. Lately people come to Iowa because they only had two division 1 offers and the other was from a MAC team.

When KF is gone the Iowa needs to get a DC/OC from SEC or a Texas school.

KF should be....should be gone after 2015 if no big ten championship game. Another 4-4 conference season and 7-5 overall record (with loss to ISU of course) just isn't going to cut it.

It should be a done deal now.

With CJ listed as starter KF got himself two years to make the championship game.

Latest posts