"A Meaningless Exhibition"

I really doubt you have ever read the New Testament from start to finish. I challenge you to do so over the weekend. All Scripture is good for the soul.
I'm not sure reading scripture works as well as actually studying it. It means different things to different people. Just my two cents. I do agree that you have to start reading first.

To say it's a meaningless exhibition is complete nonsense. Your national ranking and your bowl slot all depends on your overall record. Getting a January bowl game doesn't mean what it used to but it's still important.

Iowa football needs all the exposure and attention it can get right now for recruiting and other purposes. This game is anything but an exhibition.

Every team wants to have a solid non-conference game prior to conference play. They have meaning and will play in the playoff at the end for some teams. It also has a bearing on the psyche of the team going forward.

I agree completely. If you treat it as an exhibition you'll probably lose. You always play to win. Welcome aboard. Solid first post except for the part about being 4-0 after beating Pitt. We still have North Texas before we get to 4-0.

Thanks for the welcome, Doc. I've been following these forums for months and finally decided to take the plunge. I said 4-0 because I had beating North Texas as a given but point well taken. Never assume anything!

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I guess I am missing something. Who is taking Deace's "meaningless exhibition" comment literally? I took it as win the football game and sit the guys that are banged up because you can probably get away with it. That is how I interpreted it. I dunno, maybe he should have worded it differently.

Also "agree with what Drummer said."

Deace knows more about college football than anyone on this board. Whether I agree with his opinions about it is irrelevant, I can at least appreciate a different perspective.

Also "agree with what Drummer said."

Deace knows more about college football than anyone on this board. Whether I agree with his opinions about it is irrelevant, I can at least appreciate a different perspective.

From a tradition and history standpoint? Absolutely. From a X and O, schematic standpoint? No, he is just like the rest of us.

From a tradition and history standpoint? Absolutely. From a X and O, schematic standpoint? No, he is just like the rest of us.

Sorry, that was too broad of a statement. I agree with you, he does not know X and O better than us. The "michigan's scheme is much more complicated" was ridiculous.

What I meant was he actually knows the players on other teams, including teams outside the B1G. He also knows teams schedules, coaches, and history. It makes the podcast more interesting because he's not just an Iowa homer saying the Hawks are going to go 12-0 every year.

The Deacer says things to get on the nerves of Iowa fans. He hates the Hawks! He is an arrogant POS in my humble opinion!

I dont get why people think he is some college football guru? He knows stats, names and other tidbits. I would love to see him throw a football. Im betting it would look similar to Obama's MLB pitch a few years ago!

Some of you are very easily trolled. Dace is indifferent about Iowa. He knows how stupid some football fans are and he does not care.

I love the hawks, and at the same time, I understand what he meant. I don't agree, but I understand.

Some of you must be 12 years old.

there, I said it.

Some of you are very easily trolled. Dace is indifferent about Iowa. He knows how stupid some football fans are and he does not care.

I love the hawks, and at the same time, I understand what he meant. I don't agree, but I understand.

there, I said it.

+1000 I really don't get why some get their panties in a bunch so easily.

there, I said it.

I don't even think it was a troll job. The "meaningless exhibition" statement was just throw away line that he didn't even put any thought into it.....Definitely doesn't have any sort of agenda. All he meant was if you have some guys banged up don't play them because you are going to need them down the road.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I guess I am missing something. Who is taking Deace's "meaningless exhibition" comment literally? I took it as win the football game and sit the guys that are banged up because you can probably get away with it. That is how I interpreted it. I dunno, maybe he should have worded it differently.
Yes, you are correct. But didn't he also say along with that this comment: "7-5, 8-4, what's the difference?"

I like Deace. To me, he's solid most of the time. I don't think this comment makes much sense. As others said, you try to win every game (whether or not your are national playoff contender).

i think he had a dopey comment from week one, too, when he said Ruddock played well, except for his 9 incompletions he missed on 4 deep wide open throws, 2 picks (one which wasn't his fault), and a pick 6.

:confused:

I don't think he had many stat lines that looked like that as the starting QB at Iowa, and no one would have described that as "playing well"...

has the QB play at MICH has been that poor the past few years?

Yes, you are correct. But didn't he also say along with that this comment: "7-5, 8-4, what's the difference?"

I like Deace. To me, he's solid most of the time. I don't think this comment makes much sense. As others said, you try to win every game (whether or not your are national playoff contender).

i think he had a dopey comment from week one, too, when he said Ruddock played well, except for his 9 incompletions he missed on 4 deep wide open throws, 2 picks (one which wasn't his fault), and a pick 6.

:confused:

I don't think he had many stat lines that looked like that as the starting QB at Iowa, and no one would have described that as "playing well"...

has the QB play at MICH has been that poor the past few years?

What you say has merit......I just think people are waaaaay over thinking this.

I don't even think it was a troll job. The "meaningless exhibition" statement was just throw away line that he didn't even put any thought into it.....Definitely doesn't have any sort of agenda. All he meant was if you have some guys banged up don't play them because you are going to need them down the road.
Disagree. II initially dismissed the phrase as a poorly-worded suggestion that Kirk rest his dinged-up players for the Wisconsin game until he repeated it verbatim in the Predicting Pitt article. When writing something you have the opportunity to reflect upon exactly what you want to say before you say it. Deace said this game is meaningless twice on two different occasions and in two entirely different communication formats so therefore that's precisely what he meant.

It's a strange phenomenon when two people can have two completely differing opinions and yet both be correct. Deace's dismissal of tomorrow night's game against Pitt as a "meaningless exhibition" smacked of ridiculousness and probably twisted the drawers of many an Iowa faithful... but he's not altogether wrong. This non-conference, non-season-opening game with no trophy at stake and no playoff implications is in the strictest technical sense a worthless exercise. Where Steve and I part company is when we move from strict technicalities into the symbolic. Symbolically, EVERYTHING rides on Saturday's game. A win against Pitt means a perfect 4-0 start in a season that badly needs one. A win tomorrow blows the doors wide open for a 9-3 or even a 10-2 season. Beat Pitt and we start making a good case for a little number appearing next to our name for the first time in years. But the most important of all is the chance for a coach to redeem himself. I believe Kirk Ferentz when he claims to have rededicated himself to developing players and winning football games. I believe that he truly understands the importance of this year in restoring the brand's image and cooling his seat. A win tomorrow will silence all but the staunchest critics and make the fan base truly come alive (and Kinnick along with it) once again. A win adds evidence to the notion that Ferentz's focus has returned and there are still some good years left in him. Hitting the conference season undefeated with momentum in bunches and the enthusiasm of your fans sounds awfully important for such a meaningless exhibition and I hope Kirk and the Hawks treat it that way. Good luck and come out with guns blazing, gentlemen.

I agree with everything you posted. Very strong for post number 5. Well done!!:cool:

Latest posts