A little disappointed in the Colts

GodGodGodBathia

More like A LOT disappointed...they had a chance to go undefeated AND win the Super Bowl...now they might not do either...at least if they didn't win the Super Bowl they could say they had a perfect record that season...would have been cool for Caldwell to go 19-0 as a rookie head coach...Manning, Clark, and Wayne looked like someone had just shot their puppies on the sideline...resting doesn't even help, the Colts have tried it before and the year they did it they went one and done, the year they played it through they won the Super Bowl...don't fix what ain't broke

This sums up what Manning looked like on the sideline:

young-man-depressed-about-his-alcoholism.jpg

I see where you're coming from, but what if Manning, Wayne, or Clark went down with a season ending injury? As it hurts me to say this, pro sports isnt a "game" anymore. It is a big money business, and if i were an owner or investor and my star player went down in a "meaningless" game I would not be a happy camper, as I have the potential to lose alot of money.

I'm not a huge Colts fan. I do like Manning/Clark/Sanders. My feeling is this. If you get to 14-0 why wouldn't you go for it, the elusive undefeated season. I agree it makes no sense that last week they played the entire game.

I also have a problem with the Colts pulling it's starters against a competitor that could potentially eliminate you in the playoffs if they make it. The JETS played the Colts even IMO for the time the starters were in. I would have tried my best to eliminate them.

I see where you're coming from, but what if Manning, Wayne, or Clark went down with a season ending injury? As it hurts me to say this, pro sports isnt a "game" anymore. It is a big money business, and if i were an owner or investor and my star player went down in a "meaningless" game I would not be a happy camper, as I have the potential to lose alot of money.

I also can not argue with this statement. Everyone saw the huge drop off in talent once those starters went out. Especially in the QB position. Oh my. If Peyton goes down, the Colts are done.

You would think that they would learn. They just doomed themselves in the playoffs. Resting guys has never worked for them. I bet the Pats or Chargers eliminate them.

I was pretty bummed the Colts did this too. Of their 3 TD's, only one came via the offense. 106 yard KO return and a defensive TD (that does not happen if Peyton was in there).

I thought after the Giants played their butts off in the week 17 loss to the Patriots in 2007, we would see teams try to go in to the playoffs winning more often. The Giants didn't even have a playoff bye in 07 either.

Indy basically rested Freeney and Mathis in week 15 against the Jags too, only putting them in on obvious passing downs. Why not continue to do this against the Jets? Frustrating.

I hear you Bathia. I don't like their chances of wining the Super Bowl. Atleast we would have had an undefeated regular season and have a rediculous regular season win streak still going. Yes you can have injuries but, Manning has never been injured as a Colt. This strategy has never worked before for the Colts. The Colts offense needs to stay in a rythm or flow to be working at it's best. This isn't going to happen with a month off. That basically is what is happening. The starting offense is getting almost a month off except for a very little PT.

but why did they play all out against a physical division foe in Jacksonville the week before in a game that meant nothing.....someone could have gotten hurt in that game....why do that and then not play the Jets full bore at home yesterday?

I just don't see the need for rest all you create is rust. First they get a bye the first round and then they play back to back weeks and then they get another bye before the super bowl. That's only 3 games in 5 weeks I don't see the need for more rest. And if it's the injury your afraid of, then why would you even play them at all???

Don Shula, Bob Griese, Earl Morrall, Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, Nick Bonaconi, Garo Yepremian, Paul Warfield, Mercury Morris, Dick Anderson, Jake Scott, Jim Langer, Larry Little and I couldn't be happier. Perfection ends a lot of arguments.

There is an urban legend that every season, whenever the last remaining undefeated NFL team loses its first game, all the surviving members of the 1972 Miami Dolphins open bottles of champagne in celebration.

A side note: In the '72 Dolphins' last regular season game, they defeated their arch-rival, the Baltimore Colts 16-0. That turned out to be NFL legend Johnny Unitas' last game with the Colts.

Don Shula, Bob Griese, Earl Morrall, Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, Nick Bonaconi, Garo Yepremian, Paul Warfield, Mercury Morris, Dick Anderson, Jake Scott, Jim Langer, Larry Little and I couldn't be happier. Perfection ends a lot of arguments.

There is an urban legend that every season, whenever the last remaining undefeated NFL team loses its first game, all the surviving members of the 1972 Miami Dolphins open bottles of champagne in celebration.

A side note: In the '72 Dolphins' last regular season game, they defeated their arch-rival, the Baltimore Colts 16-0. That turned out to be NFL legend Johnny Unitas' last game with the Colts.

There is also an urban legend that when all of the 72 dolphins are buried in the ground we won't have to hear Chris Berman talk about this tradition anymore

An undefeated season means absolutely nothing - ask the Patriots. The real disgrace is the fact that teams are deciding the playoff berths by resting their best players. The Jets are going to "back" into the playoffs because their last two opponents didn't play them at full strength. The Steelers, Baltimore, Denver and Miami (among possible others) are far more deserving of a playoff berth than the Jets.

The NFL offices need to fix this problem. I don't care one bit that the Colts gave up a potential undefeated season - winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate prize. However, allowing a team like the Jets in the playoffs in this manner is not right.

An undefeated season means absolutely nothing - ask the Patriots. The real disgrace is the fact that teams are deciding the playoff berths by resting their best players. The Jets are going to "back" into the playoffs because their last two opponents didn't play them at full strength. The Steelers, Baltimore, Denver and Miami (among possible others) are far more deserving of a playoff berth than the Jets.

The NFL offices need to fix this problem. I don't care one bit that the Colts gave up a potential undefeated season - winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate prize. However, allowing a team like the Jets in the playoffs in this manner is not right.

I don't think there's anything the NFL can "legally" do about it. It has to be made out of morality.

Teams should be fined. If I am hosting the Colts, Saints, etc. the last week of the season, and my team is not a playoff team, then the big draw for my fans is to see the superstars like Manning and Brees. By not playing these players it is costing host teams money - in some cases big money. That money should be recovered by teams that make the decision.

Each NFL team hosts only 8 games during the season, and to have 1 or 2 of them with teams that are not playing their "stars" is not profitable whatsoever. Also, players on playoff teams make added money by making the playoffs. As a player, I think a grievance is acceptable when a team like the Jets makes the playoffs in this manner, and others are left out because they are playing teams at full strength.

Yeah, there are a million reasons as to why you shouldn't rest your starters and one reason why you should. Caldwell seems to be the only person in the world though that thinks the other way.

Latest posts