A.J. Derby, arrested.

Even Chris Spielman would smile. A little bit.

Spielman_Chris_jersey.JPG

aj-derby1.jpg

He'll serve his punishment, but what is with the qb's to a higher standard? If this is true where does one find a standards ranking by position? Also, are other positions told they are of a lower standard or is it just assumed? Silly talk...

Quarterbacks are supposed to be the leaders of a team. It's the same reason that wins and losses tend to get pinned on quarterbacks rather than centers.

Upperclassmen are typically held to a higher standard, as well. For the same reason as quarterbacks are.

Disappointing. After all of the off-the-field crud the Iowa program has been through in the last couple of years it just p(s) me off when one of our players goes out and does something stupid like this. Simply idiotic ... The season is under way; you are the back up quarterback ... and you should simply know better. Simply a stupid move on Derby's part.

I was hoping they'd get through the bye week without any mischief. Half-way expected it, though. Too much time on their hands - now Derby has even more time on his hands. Somebody needs to let him know if the game is going to be on ABC or ESPN.

You do realize...

Quarterbacks are supposed to be the leaders of a team. It's the same reason that wins and losses tend to get pinned on quarterbacks rather than centers.

Upperclassmen are typically held to a higher standard, as well. For the same reason as quarterbacks are.

that Ricky Stanzi, the great leader and only Iowa QB to win 3 bowl games, was arrested/ticketed for possession of alcohol under the legal age early in his Iowa career?

Yes, it's disappointing and he put the team in a difficult position should Vandenberg get hurt this week. But let's not overreact and say he has no character or is incapable of leading a team. My guess is Rudock travels to PSU this week (he made the trip of Ames as well). And that the coaches would have him ready to go in the game should Vandenberg go down. A division is right there to be won if Iowa can get out of PSU with a win.

sincerely,

joe kane

.120 is a little weak for my taste. I like my drunken athletes to be in the .240 range.

Boy, oh, boy, SOMEbody hasn't read the Drunken Athlete-quasi-student Guidebook.

Let me quote from page 123:

"Drinking Violations:
--Public Intox: To maintain one's dignity and integrity, MINIMUM .120. And for such a weak reading, some public mischief charge added on is preferred

--OWI: Anything less than .240 is just too weak. As in, 'Not too drunk to operate a phone and call a cab, a friend or teammate. Less than .200 means you were sober enough to find the girl you normally hook-up with in that state

--PAULA:
a) If you are anything past TRUE Freshman year, quit the team, leave U of I and see about getting on at an FCS school.
b) Only acceptable option would be to go JuCo and return after one year, but ONLY if you are RS Freshman. Beyond that? See letter a)

--Using a gun: talk to older sibling about transferring to SEC school he currently attends, or get in contact with USC or Miami/FL booster who gave you that C-note for 'washing his car'."

Hope this clears it up for you...

What kind of party bus was this? Is the Magic bus still around?Big Bad Booster Bus?(I thought that was just for potential recruits).:eek:Just kidding.But seriously, is this the face of a quarterback?
aj-derby1.jpg
It was a sorority bus. He had been invited by a lady admirer. He also got punched in the face by some dude at the bar for hitting an a girl before all of this happened.

The QB position is the most important position on the field but I don't buy that they should be held to higher standards or suspended longer for the same violation. I don't see how a head coach could explain to a QB that his suspension is longer because of his position.

I think this punishment is fair.

It was a sorority bus. He had been invited by a lady admirer. He also got punched in the face by some dude at the bar for hitting an a girl before all of this happened.

Double Ouch!

Thanks for the info JimmyB. I figured there was a young lady involved somehow.
While in college I too broke out a window after the bars closed because this fine young lady, um, let's just say broke my heart. "Love" can be painful and stupid sometimes.
On a related note maybe there is a reason he is playing quarterback and not linebacker??

Hitting a girl or hitting ON a girl?

That is an important distinction. I read it as hitting on a girl. Obviously, hitting a girl would be a much bigger deal than hitting a windshield unless he hit the windshield WITH the girl...but, probably not.

Ok, I realize I'm a complete homer buuut, at least he punched a window and not the other guy. Right? Sort of?

Ok, I realize I'm a complete homer buuut, at least he punched a window and not the other guy. Right? Sort of?

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you on that one. The guy took a shot a him and Derby knew that if retaliated it could be the end of his football career (because you know the headlines would all read "Iowa Football Player Involved in Drunken Brawl" and no one would bother with the detail that the other guy started it. That would be one hell of a frustrating situation to be in - some dude punches you in the face in front of the whole sorority and all you can really do is turn around and go sit on the bus. He showed more restraint than I would have.

Latest posts