A good qb almost always owns a Parker defense

Most overrated coordinator I've ever seen.

No. Everyone loved him and called him a genius after the orange bowl last year. I agree we are getting destroyed tonight and we just don't adjust. I like Norm, but I saw him afte the OSU game and thought he was on his last leg, ( I mean that figuratively). I think some adjustments need to be made somewhere since most offenses are changing to more of a spread.

No. Everyone loved him and called him a genius after the orange bowl last year. I agree we are getting destroyed tonight and we just don't adjust. I like Norm, but I saw him afte the OSU game and thought he was on his last leg, ( I mean that figuratively). I think some adjustments need to be made somewhere since most offenses are changing to more of a spread.

GT was one dimensional. If Nesbit could have passed he'd have eaten our lunch.

Norm is a good run defense planner, but with the pass defense, he either doesn't trust his players to cut them loose or can't get the talent. Either way, if you get a good QB they will pick apart that zone defense all night.

Georgia Tech didn't have a good passing qb. There's a reason Iowa struggles against teams that run the spread. How many NFL teams do you know that rarely use the nickle package in passing downs?

Georgia Tech didn't have a good passing qb. There's a reason Iowa struggles against teams that run the spread. How many NFL teams do you know that rarely use the nickle package in passing downs?

none, because the def coord and head coach would get fired in season

Iowa played some variation of Nickel the entire second half. We gave up 24 points and scored 7 on defense for a net of 17. That is a win. Hope he runs off into the sunset, but rewatch the game and you will see a more aggressive defense than you are used to.

You said it SpudHawk....while I was very frustrated in the first half Norm put more DBs in and brought pressure with the game on the line and did you notice Gabbert looked bad any time he had to move around in the pocket. I got news for all those Mizzou fans that think he's awesome...I don't know how Gabbert makes it if he can't make plays moving around in the pocket. NFL defenses will eat him alive.

It was frustrating to watch, but it did have a lot of similarities to our Alamo Bowl win over Texas Tech in 2001. They ran a spread O, we gave up boatloads of yards of under (more tonight), but really didn't give that many points due to some eventual bone-headed decisions (INT's). We reeaaaaally stretched it to the limits tonight, but I think we struggled with it a lot in Tempe because our LB's are so inexperienced and we never sub out to match up better. In theory, our D philosophy sounds great, why it looks like complete crap against NW every year still baffles me. Perhaps they are just that much smarter than everyone else.

A good QB almost always owns any defense...That's usually what makes them a good qb... then when they have the time to throw the ball, their chances of owning the D goes up even further...

In the first half, 80% or more of the passes had to have gone to where Troy Johnson was, either his man or his portion of the zone. He was just way too slow. I wish we'd have gone to the look we gave them latter in the game the entire time. Hopefully, we consider this for the future (NORTHWESTERN).

We need to recuit defensive players that can run 4.4's---regardless of what position they play. When we play these spread teams, I don't care if our LB's weigh 195 lbs, they need to be fast enough to cover. Offensive coordinators have us figured out.

A good QB almost always owns any defense...That's usually what makes them a good qb... then when they have the time to throw the ball, their chances of owning the D goes up even further...

San Diego St., Iowa St. and Texas Tech all held Gabbert in check. He had his best game of the season against our defense. If it wasn't for a career game by Coker and 2 bad decisions by Gabbert resulting in picks we easily lose the game. I'm thrilled we won, but my thoughts on Parker's defense haven't changed as a result of getting a W as opposed to an L.

San Diego St., Iowa St. and Texas Tech all held Gabbert in check. He had his best game of the season against our defense. If it wasn't for a career game by Coker and 2 bad decisions by Gabbert resulting in picks we easily lose the game. I'm thrilled we won, but my thoughts on Parker's defense haven't changed as a result of getting a W as opposed to an L.

We had a couple pics as well, that kept them in the game.

Sometimes I wonder what Iowa fans want/expect.

If it's not KOK, it's KF. Rarely Norm, but he gets his fair share as well. Nice rotation for a group of coaches who have put Iowa in the top 10 4 times in the past 10 years. First time ever Iowa wins 3 bowl games in a row.

Smoot, your posts are lame.

Bad decisions are what the defense is based on. Ultimately I agree that in this era Iowa needs to be more flexible but we gave up an average of 19.3 points per game to spread teams this season coming into this game. Iowa made them one dimensional and that is a win. Yards do not = points. It is hard to watch but effective for now.

Iowa played more aggressive defenses in the second half. They adjusted and Gabbert is very, very good. WE WON!

We had a couple pics as well, that kept them in the game.

Sometimes I wonder what Iowa fans want/expect.

If it's not KOK, it's KF. Rarely Norm, but he gets his fair share as well. Nice rotation for a group of coaches who have put Iowa in the top 10 4 times in the past 10 years. First time ever Iowa wins 3 bowl games in a row.

Smoot, your posts are lame.

First of all it's a message board. Only with Iowa fans is it unacceptable to critique the team. You really need to take off your black and gold glasses every now and then and examine things objectively. The fact is Gabbert tore our defense apart. That cannot be refuted as he put up career highs against us. We didn't win the game because of Norm's defense, we won in spite of it. Coker played lights out and shredded Mizzou's defense.

We need to recuit defensive players that can run 4.4's---regardless of what position they play. When we play these spread teams, I don't care if our LB's weigh 195 lbs, they need to be fast enough to cover. Offensive coordinators have us figured out.

Here's something else I've always thought.... if it's third and 10+, why even have your d-line in there. Stick in 3 or 4 backup DBs at D-line and have them rush the passer and watch for screens/draws. If the other team runs the ball, I say they are no more likely to pick up a first down than if you had your regular D-line in there. With the DBs speed and quickness, they would have a big advantage rushing the passer.

Latest posts