A good qb almost always owns a Parker defense

First of all it's a message board. Only with Iowa fans is it unacceptable to critique the team. You really need to take off your black and gold glasses every now and then and examine things objectively. The fact is Gabbert tore our defense apart. That cannot be refuted as he put up career highs against us. We didn't win the game because of Norm's defense, we won in spite of it. Coker played lights out and shredded Mizzou's defense.

How many points did Missouri score?

How many points did Missouri score?

Hey I'm not arguing that we won. That doesn't mean we can't critique the game. We also lost 5 games this year utilizing the same defensive schemes. I'm not a fan of the bend but don't break soft cover-2 zone. Why do you think NFL teams empoly much more complicated schemes? Watch replays of the Vikings-Eagles games tonight. Minnesota blitzed their corner at least 3 times in the game.

Hey I'm not arguing that we won. That doesn't mean we can't critique the game. We also lost 5 games this year utilizing the same defensive schemes. I'm not a fan of the bend but don't break soft cover-2 zone. Why do you think NFL teams empoly much more complicated schemes? Watch replays of the Vikings-Eagles games tonight. Minnesota blitzed their corner at least 3 times in the game.

Iowa made some adjustments over the course of the game tonight which in the end helped us. Norm was missing 8 weeks of the season. Ever think that if Norm was around the whole season things would have been different?

Lol really?? We ran more adjustments tonite than I can ever remember. Maybe I ran into the wrong corner of the whaaah babies but seriously, all you complainers the defense did it's job.

Here's something else I've always thought.... if it's third and 10+, why even have your d-line in there. Stick in 3 or 4 backup DBs at D-line and have them rush the passer and watch for screens/draws. If the other team runs the ball, I say they are no more likely to pick up a first down than if you had your regular D-line in there. With the DBs speed and quickness, they would have a big advantage rushing the passer.

No this would not work at all. The DBs trying to rush wouldn't even be able to get off the line, the OL would just knock them down and the QB would be able to sit in the pocket all day, and it's really hard, even for good secondaries, to cover WRs for 10 seconds.

Here is the problem, he won't run a nickel D and the only time our D does well is when we have experienced LB's or NFL level LB's like Greenway and Angerer. We need to be more flexible on D and either change our packages or blitz more, especially with the lack of pressure our D line got this year. Not only that but teams have figured out that 3 seconds and pass is the way to beat our team. The other thing is our O needs a power back like Coker to work, thank goodness he is only a Frosh and I hope Coe is just as good, but let's face it we aren't going run the spread under Ferentz, so having greater flexibility on D is a must next year.

Here is the problem, he won't run a nickel D and the only time our D does well is when we have experienced LB's or NFL level LB's like Greenway and Angerer. We need to be more flexible on D and either change our packages or blitz more, especially with the lack of pressure our D line got this year. Not only that but teams have figured out that 3 seconds and pass is the way to beat our team. The other thing is our O needs a power back like Coker to work, thank goodness he is only a Frosh and I hope Coe is just as good, but let's face it we aren't going run the spread under Ferentz, so having greater flexibility on D is a must next year.

We ran a nickel d tonite..... Next?

Iowa made some adjustments over the course of the game tonight which in the end helped us. Norm was missing 8 weeks of the season. Ever think that if Norm was around the whole season things would have been different?

Possibly, but the real point is that with his style of defense you get close games. Last year we came out on top with most of them and this year we didn't. The soft cover-2 defense relies on the opposing qb making a bad decision typically because you give him time to make a throw and your safeties are playing back. When you face an NFL qb prospect like Carson Palmer, Andrew Walter, Terrelle Pryor, Blaine Gabbert; they will shred this type of defense.

nickel was ran and 3 DL rushing (if you call it a rush...not much effort which was disappointing..), blitzes were done on occassion, a safety for a lb (Johnson) was used, hunter played in the 2nd half. there was many things done to mix things up. While I can get frustrated that changes aren't made soon on D, I can live with it. my only complaint would be to do it after the 2nd quarter, not wait until half time to adjust most things.

Possibly, but the real point is that with his style of defense you get close games. Last year we came out on top with most of them and this year we didn't. The soft cover-2 defense relies on the opposing qb making a bad decision typically because you give him time to make a throw and your safeties are playing back. When you face an NFL qb prospect like Carson Palmer, Andrew Walter, Terrelle Pryor, Blaine Gabbert; they will shred this type of defense.

You mean like when we ran press coverage against Blane gabbert who some from espn picked to be the second rated qb in the draft this year? What are u talking about?

For the vast majority of the game we ran base cover-2 zone.

Correction we did not, for the first part of the first quarter we ran a cover three which is different than the cover two. And even when we did run the cover two in the second half we ran press coverage at times... P,ease pay attention better next time.

No this would not work at all. The DBs trying to rush wouldn't even be able to get off the line, the OL would just knock them down and the QB would be able to sit in the pocket all day, and it's really hard, even for good secondaries, to cover WRs for 10 seconds.

I totally disagree, but let's just leave it at a disagreement. Too much to be happy with about tonight.

Correction we did not, for the first part of the first quarter we ran a cover three which is different than the cover two. And even when we did run the cover two in the second half we ran press coverage at times... P,ease pay attention better next time.

We seldomly ran man coverage until later in the second half. And why squabble over whether it was cover-2 or 3? Cover-3 is even more directed at preventing deep routes and gives up a lot of ground for linebackers to cover shorter routes.

We seldomly ran man coverage until later in the second half. And why squabble over whether it was cover-2 or 3? Cover-3 is even more directed at preventing deep routes and gives up a lot of ground for linebackers to cover shorter routes.

It's worth squabbling as you call it because we did make adjustments to accommodate for what was workin in the second half. That is all.

Latest posts