A good interim solution

DeanMarshall

Since Tucker does not want to commit to being a student-athlete that is in good standing with the athletic department, I think it's time to say bye-bye. While some want to leave the door open, I think he's been given plenty of opportunities, already. Additionally, Tucker has given no indication that he wants to return anyway.

Solution? At the semester, let's have Kaylon Williams transfer in from Kirkwood JC. Presumably, in a JC transfer like this, the player could be eligible right away? If not, the Univ of Iowa should petition the NCAA and ask for this exception to be allowed.

Stretching a piece of silly putty over a river isn't going to stop the water from flowing. This season is lost. We have just above 0% probability to make it to a post season this year. Adding a G to a system that takes 2 years to learn in the middle of the season isn't going to do any good. We move on, watch the line that the bookies throw at us and make some money while the getting is good.

Next years incoming class needs to be better than hyped AND we need to add at least one if not two JUCOs (assuming AT and Brommer are gone). Lick should have his asst's on the recruiting trail NOW. We need to hire better asst's that can recruit and land kids that are better than 3 star players.

Correct. KW could not go directly from Evanston to Iowa.
He'd have to sit out a year or (like he is doing) go the JUCO route.

In hardship situations, the NCAA considers mitigating circumstances. Remember Jake Kelly? Or maybe Tyler Smith? BOTH transferred and PLAYED the following year.

Kaylon Williams, with some WORK by the basketball program COULD play at Iowa, next semester. But, someone would need to get off their a.. and do something. That seems to be where things stop with Iowa hoops.

:mad:

In hardship situations, the NCAA considers mitigating circumstances. Remember Jake Kelly? Or maybe Tyler Smith? BOTH transferred and PLAYED the following year.

Kaylon Williams, with some WORK by the basketball program COULD play at Iowa, next semester. But, someone would need to get off their a.. and do something. That seems to be where things stop with Iowa hoops.

:mad:

You are aware of the fact that the NCAA doesn't do anything fast. So blaming Iowa for a hypothetical miscue seems misguided. Also, I have a hard time believing the NCAA would consider player attrition, in particular the loss of a player due to alcohol related incidents, as a hardship of the likes of family death or personal injury misfortunes.

You are aware of the fact that the NCAA doesn't do anything fast. So blaming Iowa for a hypothetical miscue seems misguided. Also, I have a hard time believing the NCAA would consider player attrition, in particular the loss of a player due to alcohol related incidents, as a hardship of the likes of family death or personal injury misfortunes.

Speaking of hypotheticals, you're hypothetically saying the NCAA won't grant it.

This staff needs to get active at doing something. Give it a shot. There is no downside to the NCAA not granting it, right now. Someone needs to light a fire and soon. If it must be me, then so be it.

I nEVER said, "they won't".

I said, "I would have a hard time believing they would".

Also, there's nothing hypothetical about how slow the NCAA moves regarding eligibility issues.

There is absolutely no chance that they could get the NCAA to make an exemption in order to replace a player who is suspended due to an alcohol related offense...you saying that it doesn't hurt to try is like me telling my friend who's broke that it doesn't hurt to go diving through dumpsters because he might find $1,000,000 cash that someone accidentally threw away...and hey if you don't find anything there is no downside.

If you want to light a fire how about going to a game and cheering...which is the role of the fans...instead of ridiculing the coach and his staff. The lack of fans in CHA is hurting this program as much as anything...not just monetarily but especially in recruiting top level talent. The same criteria that helped us in football with CJ is killing us in basketball. I could not imagine any decent player...except someone like Gatens who has always wanted to be a Hawk...who would want to come and play in this environment.

Speaking of hypotheticals, you're hypothetically saying the NCAA won't grant it.

This staff needs to get active at doing something. Give it a shot. There is no downside to the NCAA not granting it, right now. Someone needs to light a fire and soon. If it must be me, then so be it.

Will never happen. Not even worth discussing.

The only way I let Tucker back is if he comes back nonscholarhip and is suspended for one year from the date of the second public intox. That won't happen so I hope they don't let him come back.

Since Tucker does not want to commit to being a student-athlete that is in good standing with the athletic department, I think it's time to say bye-bye. While some want to leave the door open, I think he's been given plenty of opportunities, already. Additionally, Tucker has given no indication that he wants to return anyway.

Solution? At the semester, let's have Kaylon Williams transfer in from Kirkwood JC. Presumably, in a JC transfer like this, the player could be eligible right away? If not, the Univ of Iowa should petition the NCAA and ask for this exception to be allowed.

I would probably venture to say that a JC that has been through the whole crappy JC experience and wants to continue on is not going to look too highly upon coming to Iowa and playing boresketball...unless his favorite part about playing ball is passing around the perimeter...

Last edited:
Hardship?

The NCAA is going to grant immediate eligibility to an incoming transfer because another player got drunk?

Hardship?

The NCAA is going to grant immediate eligibility to an incoming transfer because another player got drunk?

Well, since once again ddict requires further explanation, please allow me.

1) Iowa is a hardship case, if there ever was one. If they allow Jake Kelley to move schools to help Indiana State, then it should be perfectly allowable to get a player in here, from a JC, at the half way point.

2) Kaylon Williams is every bit the player that the individual who has already been busted for alcohol twice in a year, at Iowa. Ridiculous

3) Please don't make me rip off the other 98 reasons why it should be done. NOW:rolleyes:

1) Iowa is a hardship case, if there ever was one. If they allow Jake Kelley to move schools to help Indiana State, then it should be perfectly allowable to get a player in here, from a JC, at the half way point.

2) Kaylon Williams is every bit the player that the individual who has already been busted for alcohol twice in a year, at Iowa. Ridiculous

3) Please don't make me rip off the other 98 reasons why it should be done. NOW:rolleyes:

You could "rip" off 98 reasons, or 98,000 reason, it is clear that he would have to sit a year, period. You might want to check out the rules: Here are some excerpts.

If you are now in a four-year school and want to transfer to another four-year school, we sometimes refer to you as a 4-4 transfer. Generally, these rules apply to you.
If you transfer from a four-year school to another four-year school, generally you are not eligible to play at the new four-year school until you spend an academic year in residence at that school.
But, do not give up yet. Read this section to see if an exception can apply to you to allow you to play right away.

Rules have exceptions:
Common exceptions if you are in a four-year school
Exceptions are applied by the new school (sometimes called the certifying school). The certifying school determines whether you are eligible to play right away without spending an academic year in residence.
The certifying school has the authority to grant exceptions, based on the conditions that we explain here:
Exceptions for Divisions I and II
If this is your first transfer ...
If you have never transferred before from a four-year school, you might be able to use the one-time transfer exception to play right away at a Division I or II school.
To use this exception, you must:
1. Be playing a sport other than baseball in Division I, basketball in Division I, men's ice hockey in Division I or football in Division I. Note: In football you may be eligible to use this exception if:
a. You transfer from a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) school to a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) school and have at least two seasons of competition remaining; or
b. You transfer from a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) school that offers athletics scholarships to a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) that does not offer athletics scholarships.
Important Note: If you do not qualify for this exception due to any of the conditions in Subsection 1 above, you may be able to use the exception if you were not recruited by your first four-year school AND have never received an athletics scholarship.
2. Be in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree;
3. Have been considered eligible if you had stayed in your first school; and
4. Have a written release agreement from your first school saying that it does not object to your receiving an exception to the transfer residence requirement.

You can use an exception during your first year of collegiate enrollment ONLY if you are a qualifier.
[Note: if you are a qualifier, have signed a National Letter of Intent, and transfer during the first year after you enrolled full time, you may have to sit out for a period of time at the certifying school, even if you meet an exception. (For more information about the National Letter of Intent program, go to page 27.)]
If you are a partial qualifier or a nonqualifier, you must spend at least one academic year in residence before you are allowed to use an exception.
You cannot use an exception if you are sitting out a year of residence at your current school.
In the sports of baseball or basketball, if you are transferring to a Division I institution at the start of the winter or spring term you will not be eligible to compete until the next fall term, regardless if you meet an exception.
Only qualifiers are allowed to use exceptions during the first year after they enroll at the new school.

If you are interested you can download and read the whole guide at:

NCAA Publication Product Detail View

Seriously??? A hardship involves a a single player experiencing a life altering event....IE Smith's father suffering from cancer and Jake Kelly's mom passing away in a plane crash. Not a team stinking and losing a player due to an alcohol related offense. The NCAA would not even consider this as a hardship. Iowa would not even be dumb enough to even try to go after it. The fact that we are even discussing this is laughable and I question whether you are joking or not? Can you use some emoticons next time???

Good grief. We really have people that are more concerned about hardship rules than having a group 9-10 guys that can play basketball for Iowa.

It was simply a suggestion, because of the DIRE, DIRE, situation this program finds itself in, right now. Perhaps deanvogs should use his overabundance of free time to research NCAA rulings and help the staff FIND SOME PLAYERS. IMMEDIATELY

Latest posts