A Fran Weakness Is Rearing It's Head Again

Think about how much the Kinnick crowd helps the football team. Ever notice how many pre-snap penalties occur there that impacts the game, especially in the north end zone? As someone who is on the sideline for every home game, I know the answer.

The end of that Maryland MBB game this year, it was like a church in CHA. The men's basketball team, way too often, must make its own energy at home, unlike Wisconsin, Illinois, MSU...heck, even northwestern and nebraska have better home crowds now. Carver is like Bryce Jordan these days.

If not for covid canceling the tournament in '20, Iowa would be on a five-year run of NCCA berths. That's happened twice in program history - '79-83 & '85-89. After those runs, the best the program has done is reach the big dance three years in a row. That happened '91-93 and now Fran has done it twice ('14-16) and ('21-23). And, as mentioned, the current three-year run would be five without covid.

He certainly deserves credit for resurrecting the thing after Lickliter and Alford lit a match to it. And he's done it with fewer resources than some of his Big Ten competition. Iowa's NIL for men's basketball is meh, at best. And other than Nebraska, which is debatable, in-state talent here might be lighter than anywhere else in the B1G.

Is Fran blameless in not breaking the Sweet 16 drought? Of course not. He has weaknesses and is ultimately responsible. The buck stops with him.

The title of the thread is "A Fran Weakness Is Rearing It's Head Again"

I will submit again that it's more a program weakness based on interest level at a school with fans that support wrestling more than men's basketball. You'll notice the nice new facility being built at CHA ain't for attracting hoops recruits. I think the women's basketball attendance will remain solid after CC leaves, but a drop-off can be expected. How much? Hard to say.

I certainly get the Fran fatigue. People want more and that's their right as fans. I rarely would I say there's not someone out there capable of raising the program higher. There is just like there are people that would be better than KF.

I will say the odds of improving the men's basketball position are not good with the resources and fan interest right now. Again, it's not the most attractive job unless UI supports it more. The fan experience at CHA sucks, especially for kids and students. No future fans are being grown.

Barta got lucky with a little known guy from Siena.
Rob there's nothing here I can disagree with (for example our Kinnick crowd flat out won us that 2021 Penn State game) and perhaps I should have come up with a different thread title. Once again I wasn't cutting the program down, I was pointing out how lack of execution in critical possessions of close games has become a problem again now that Connor and to some extent Bohannon are gone.

I pointed out the missed opportunities in three recent games that should have been in the win column. And how different our position would be in league standings if we won them, or even two of them. And that the biggest difference between equally talented league teams like Bo Ryan era Wisconsin and Iowa was no more than the record in close games.

As for the Bryce Jordan atmosphere at Carver, I will be coming down this Saturday for my first game in over two years. I will get to judge for myself how mundane the arena vibe has become.

Barta absolutely got lucky with a little known guy from Siena. But that little known guy from Siena also got lucky when his oldest kid left baseball behind to focus on basketball and was an unbelievable clutch player.

And we don't beat Minnesota without his second oldest kid. I posted a month ago when Patrick missed Purdue or whatever game he had the illness that he had the potential to come up huge down the stretch of his senior year.

If yesterday was the start of it we could certainly use it. Our bench has not been consistent once league play began and an experienced player like Patrick could be a huge X-factor coming down the stretch

As for the comment that no future fans are being grown, that's sad but unfortunately true. I can speak for an entire generation of late boomers/early Gen X who got turned on to Iowa men's hoops when the Lute era started clicking and you looked forward to the next game on TV. I was one of those people.

Last edited:
Is that the Jim Anderson that helped out Van Coleman at Future Stars?
Haven't talked to him in over fifteen years Rob. If I had to guess I'm would say no. Jim moved back to Galena Illinois and worked for the Gazette over there when he left OnMedia.

He was at least ten years older than me and I'm 58. I would assume he's retired now.

Probably a different Jim Anderson but also similar age. This guy probably was in his 50s back in early 2000s. Was just wondering what happened to that guy. He certainly was a friend of the Iowa program with Mr. Davis and Alford.

I also think part of the issue is how far away the students sit from the actual court. Check it out next time you guys are there.

If it doesn't have the most, CHA has to be among the leaders for space between the court and the start of the stands in the B1G. The people in the north end are way back from the court. It's crazy. Meanwhile, I've sat in front of the Izzone. It gave me a headache. From my experience, I think the Iowa student section is among the least engaged in the conference.

I've been covering games in CHA since the '97-98 season and hardly anything has changed, literally. If anything, I think the fan experience has gotten worse. I mean Red Panda ain't been around for years.
Its hilarious the inverse traits between football and BB at Iowa. Kinnick has the closest stands to the field in the game and Carver sets off the student section a country mile. KF has one of the best Ds in the country and cannot form an offensive system to save his life. Fran went the other way. Football interest remains very high despite the boring ass style of play, whereas Franny's boys run and gun up and down the floor in front of 6,000 elderly fans doing needle point. Both programs promote nepotism!!!

They have put some premium seating off the concourse in the north end.

Fans in those spots are waited on for food and bev and may have some other perks. The seats are not great. I usually don't see many people sitting in them, either.
These are what I was talking about. I think they have been there a couple years. Yea, not that busy. I think you can reach up and touch a rafter.

How many season tickets were sold for men’s basketball for 2023-2024? CHA sold out for the women, right? Wrestling, too? Lots of competition among these events for bodies. Tough market. $$ and time are finite. Maybe those who are men’s season ticket holders kept them for their seniority going forward, while adding the women to watch Caitlin? Not time for both? Big impact on attendance for the men?

Student attendance: Move them courtside? Worth a try. Free admission, good. Fact: Kohl Center has end zone seats for students and they sell out.

Reduce overall seating capacity? Hmm.

Location of Arena: Doubt that will change. The whole sports complex is right together.

Therefore: Here is a real example. I park free at Hancher. 10 minute Cambus free ride directly to the 6 steps up to the East entry of CHA. Post game, 15 minutes back to Hancher. (Foot bridge to East campus right there) Also overpass from student union and Pentacrest area. Also a footbridge near a variety of student housing east of the river. I am just not sure location is the issue some assume to be a big problem. Thoughts?

Any examples of how TO dead times can improve? Halftime shows, like what? In short how can fan experience be improved?

Vendors in the stands. Hmm. I hope they don’t block my view. Already enough fans wandering around like they are lost.

Interesting discussion, for sure. I think Beth may move on this one.

You are right.
I don't see how any vendors would work between the aisle steps. They'd pretty much have to just work on the steps and have the people scurry to them from the seats which would be a big CF and people wouldn't like to view the game with people constantly squeezing past them.

Its hilarious the inverse traits between football and BB at Iowa. Kinnick has the closest stands to the field in the game and Carver sets off the student section a country mile. KF has one of the best Ds in the country and cannot form an offensive system to save his life. Fran went the other way. Football interest remains very high despite the boring ass style of play, whereas Franny's boys run and gun up and down the floor in front of 6,000 elderly fans doing needle point. Both programs promote nepotism!!!
With you until the nepotism, both Fran's boys were consensus top 150 players with profiles equal to or above players typically on scholarship at Iowa.
Interestingly, two of Kirk's boys played on scholarship and were well regarded while the third never or rarely saw the field but was not on scholarship.

I'm not aware of how active Fran's staff is with camps, but both Lute and Mr. Davis were very active in the off-season when it came to youth camps. Over time, that can build a tremendous base. Not only does it get the kids into it, but by default the entire families get involved. Certainly not a quick fix, but if efforts there are lacking, a renewed dedication could pay off down the road.

And, I, along with many fans, have been harping on the location of the students at Carver for many years. Modifications to make things more raucous courtside could make a world of difference with the atmosphere.

With you until the nepotism, both Fran's boys were consensus top 150 players with profiles equal to or above players typically on scholarship at Iowa.
Interestingly, two of Kirk's boys played on scholarship and were well regarded while the third never or rarely saw the field but was not on scholarship.
I agree and was kidding about Patrick and Connor. If anything, I want him to keep Jack home.

Garza would not have been the NPOY without Connor IMHO. Connor was the best post feeder I have ever seen. It was like being back in the 80s again with those two. Patrick has not lived up to his abilities, but he is a legitimate Big10 player and marginal starter in this league. Both were legit schollies.

I also have no issue with the Ferentz boys as players.

Anyone know if alternative arena sites have been assessed for feasibility at any point in the past decade? If so, I wonder if that was still based on a 12-15k capacity and tons of adjacent parking?

I agree and was kidding about Patrick and Connor. If anything, I want him to keep Jack home.

Garza would not have been the NPOY without Connor IMHO. Connor was the best post feeder I have ever seen. It was like being back in the 80s again with those two. Patrick has not lived up to his abilities, but he is a legitimate Big10 player and marginal starter in this league. Both were legit schollies.

I also have no issue with the Ferentz boys as players.
Yes, "as players." :)

Snortin Eddie Horton

Not sure if much cocaine was involved, but Marijuana use was common in those 1987 and 88 Iowa teams. There were rumors about Kevin Boyle in the Lute era as well, and the steady decline of Boyle's game late in his junior year through his senior year did nothing to dispell those rumors.
Re: the 87 and 88 teams, roll another joint, for the 2024 Hawks, the results of the 87/88 teams make this team look like a 9th team. Be Happy man, while you work, Peace and Love, for all, especially Easy Ed Horton.

On a follow up, think I have the solution to Franny Boy sideline behavior, a huge bong or a 120-day supply of those really nice gummies. Can you imagine, ref says that's your second technical, you need to leave the arena and he says, "Ya Man".

Probably a different Jim Anderson but also similar age. This guy probably was in his 50s back in early 2000s. Was just wondering what happened to that guy. He certainly was a friend of the Iowa program with Mr. Davis and Alford.
Could be the same guy. He definitely would have had a connection to the basketball program if his store was employing players.

With all this talk of lack of fan support ticket sales must still be quite good. Everytime I look at a game to buy tickets hardly anything left. Going to Wisky game, first game this year for us Sat. When I looked 2 weeks ago only single seats left except for one section in one of the corners. So tickets are sold and then everyone stays home? That is weird to me.

Regarding noise, I will make some. Always do. Gotta support your team if you there.

With all this talk of lack of fan support ticket sales must still be quite good. Everytime I look at a game to buy tickets hardly anything left. Going to Wisky game, first game this year for us Sat. When I looked 2 weeks ago only single seats left except for one section in one of the corners. So tickets are sold and then everyone stays home? That is weird to me.
Everybody's in line for ice cream.

They have put some premium seating off the concourse in the north end.

Fans in those spots are waited on for food and bev and may have some other perks. The seats are not great. I usually don't see many people sitting in them, either.
Tried to find number of season ticks purchased for the men, 2023-2024. No luck. Help?

Tried to find number of season ticks purchased for the men, 2023-2024. No luck. Help

Found this in the Gazette 5 days ago

Iowa’s listed attendance average of 9,712 fans per home game ranks 10th out of the 14 teams in the Big Ten. Data obtained by The Gazette via public records requests paints an even bleaker picture about men’s basketball turnout.

In Iowa’s13 home men’s basketball games so far — 12 regular-season games and one preseason exhibition — the Hawkeyes averaged 5,202 tickets scanned per game.

That equates to a mere 35 percent occupancy of 14,998-seat Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

It's funny that Maryland drains 3 shots in a row to steal a win in Carver and then Wisconsin misses 2 game winners and we steal a win, and those 2 games somehow show how Fran does in close games. I don't think Fran had shit to do with either game other than getting them ready to compete. Once a game is close, it's 99% players and 1% coach.

Found this in the Gazette 5 days ago

Iowa’s listed attendance average of 9,712 fans per home game ranks 10th out of the 14 teams in the Big Ten. Data obtained by The Gazette via public records requests paints an even bleaker picture about men’s basketball turnout.

In Iowa’s13 home men’s basketball games so far — 12 regular-season games and one preseason exhibition — the Hawkeyes averaged 5,202 tickets scanned per game.

That equates to a mere 35 percent occupancy of 14,998-seat Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Yeah, stats are in the books, again gets back to the product on the court and the people who go to these games, in the court side seats, contemplating whether to take Social Secuity or not. Go, Gray Panthers, hope you don't rupture a Hemorrhoid standing up twice and shouting at a game.

Latest posts