A few thoughts on the upcoming season

nickhawk

1. I really hope that Rudock wins the QB battle and holds the #1 position all year long with no major grumblings to switch QB’s.

2. I think we will see a 3 pronged running back rotation that features Weisman as the starter with Jordan Canzeri and Barkley Hill getting some reps as well. I am not forgetting Damon Bullock – I think with Iowa’s lack of playmakers at the receiver position, he ends up being featured more as a receiver than as a primary running back.

3. I think the O-line will be a strength for this team with Scherff, Donnal and Van Sloten all having shots at all conference honors.

4. Iowa’s has plenty of good options at tight end with CJ Fed having a good shot to earn all conference honors if he puts together the kind of season that most fans think he is capable of having. Iowa will also feature the Y-back position this year, which will mean more playing time and opportunities for the other tight ends like Ray Hamilton and Duzey.

5. The receiver play and the offensive play calling need to improve dramatically from last year. Everyone is sick of throwing 2 yard out routes on 3rd and long plays, but everyone is just as sick of dropped passes and not getting any separation from defensive backs on downfield throws. At least one guy has to emerge as some kind of deep threat and that guy might be Cameron Wilson.

6. The defensive line has to generate more pressure on the QB. The d-line will still be very young this year, but guys like Drew Ott, Dominic Alvis and Jaleel Johnson need to generate more heat on the opposing QB.

7. The linebacker play should be the strength of the defense. The Hawks return all 3 starters at LB and all 3 are very solid players, but all 3 guys have to get better at freeing themselves from blockers.

8. 3 starters return in the secondary and I have a feeling that Lomax is going to be a very good player. I really hope that Nico Law finally blossoms into a Bob Sanders clone this year.

9. I am optimistic that the Special Teams play will be improved this year. Mike Meyer is a reliable FG kicker who has a chance to be an all conference performer. Conner Kornbrath struggled as a freshman punter, but having a year under his belt should help in his growth. I think the kick return game should be solid with Jordan Cotton being the main threat with Canzeri or Barkley Hill also being options. It looks like the punt returns will be handled by K. Martin-Manley, and although he probably won’t break very many long returns, he should a solid option to catch everything without any turnovers.

10. The schedule is definitely tougher than last year. If the Hawks can manage a 3-1 non-conference record, I think they have a decent shot at winning 4 Big 10 games this year (at MINN, MSU at Home, at PUR, WIS at home). I think most fans would be thrilled with a 7-5 overall record and a 4-4 record in the Big 10 this year. I am not saying that 7-5 is probable, but it is realistically possible.

i don't disagree with any of your points...but i'd like you to expand on #1. is there any reason you feel this way? or just don't want a qb controversy?

Couple of reasons.

1. I think for the offense to really perform well (or at least be dramatically better than last year) there needs to be a clear leader, and I think that Rudock is confident enough to take control of the huddle and lead.
2. Rudock is only a sophomore, so if he wins the job and plays well, that bodes well for the next years of Hawkeye football.

Nice summary. As for the QB spot: whoever it ends up being I hope the job is solidified early and we don't see a rotating situation. I would hope that Jake is ready to hold down the spot after this being his third year at Iowa and second year in the Davis system. Sure would have been nice to get him some snaps last year-- just to give him that real-game experience.

On the flip side, lots of teams enter the season with new QBs. This is one of the few years (that I can remember) where there truly is a competition heading into the new season.

One of the strangest feelings I have is ... not knowing what in the heck to expect from this team. Heading into "most" seasons - even pre-Ferentz - I think we had a decent idea of what to expect on the field. But after last season's 4-8 finish, and three inexperienced QBs and a coaching staff that has been somewhat turned upside down (as far as Iowa standards go) I just don't know what to expect.

I think the two biggest keys are this: The play of the O and D lines. Without protection; without run blocking, the offense will struggle. We need a line that can give the newbie enough time to feel somewhat comfortable behind center.

And the D Line HAS to be able to put pressure on the opposing teams' offense. We can't depend on our linebackers to make all of the tackles. We can't allow average quarterbacks to be All-Americas against us.

I think many of our questions will be answered after the Northern Illinois game. Yes, teams make great strides (normally) between Weeks 1 and 2, but our performance against the Huskies (in my opinion) will give us a good understanding of how the season might play out.

for our team to have a chance, the offense will have to limit three and outs so the defense doesn't have to spend all day on the field. if the d spends all day on the field, it doesn't matter how good they are, the fire will eventually get out of hand. that will be tough with a new QB, IMO.

Four years ago I watched Jake Rudock play 4 games against high school teams in Florida that could compete with most mid-majors. He was playing against teams that put several players into D-1 programs every week. I said on this board at the time that he was the best high school QB, from a leadership standpoint, that I had ever seen. He eventually led his team to the National Championship and passed on Miami to come to Iowa. Now, years later, I haven't kept up on his progress but if he still has half of the skills he had then, he will be very successful as a starter. I remember following him in his NC year as a senior and he hit a 40+ yard TD in every game but 1. I just hope he still has what it takes to take this team to it's highest level. All the parts are there for this team to surprise. We have great RB's, LB's, Secondary, OL, TE's, and if the DL can grow fast and we find an offense that is more open to plays that are longer than 2-3 yards, 7-5 or better is in reach. Question marks will be QB, DL and Receivers.

To address 6 and 7 together, I think we have a great core of LBs but its up to the DL to let them shine. LBs don't look good if nobody on the DL demands a double team and the blockers can get to the second level.

Its a trickle effect, if a couple of linemen step up the LBs will shine and the secondary will not be put in bad positions.

Four years ago I watched Jake Rudock play 4 games against high school teams in Florida that could compete with most mid-majors. He was playing against teams that put several players into D-1 programs every week. I said on this board at the time that he was the best high school QB, from a leadership standpoint, that I had ever seen. He eventually led his team to the National Championship and passed on Miami to come to Iowa. Now, years later, I haven't kept up on his progress but if he still has half of the skills he had then, he will be very successful as a starter. I remember following him in his NC year as a senior and he hit a 40+ yard TD in every game but 1. I just hope he still has what it takes to take this team to it's highest level. All the parts are there for this team to surprise. We have great RB's, LB's, Secondary, OL, TE's, and if the DL can grow fast and we find an offense that is more open to plays that are longer than 2-3 yards, 7-5 or better is in reach.

question marks will be QB, DL and Receivers.

I know college ball is different than HS, but the leadership quality is what I think gives Rudock the edge in this battle. For some reason, I don't think that this is as close a battle as the coaches portray...but they have played this very close to the vest and want them all on edge. I will be very surprised if Sokol is announced as the guy. Maybe it's just the poise and leadership qualities and the level of play he faced in HS...it just seems he has the pedigree.

for our team to have a chance, the offense will have to limit three and outs so the defense doesn't have to spend all day on the field. if the d spends all day on the field, it doesn't matter how good they are, the fire will eventually get out of hand. that will be tough with a new QB, IMO.

So, in other words, a repeat performance of last year is a bad thing. Agreed.

Good post. Only things I would quibble about would be the QB selection. While it won't bother me if Rudock is the selectee, I fear that no matter who is picked, the first stumble they make, the boards are going to light up calling for one of the others.

Also as for Nico being a Bob Sanders clone. He's no Bob. He isn't going to be Bob. There was one Bob. Bob put fear into receivers.

I would add Malloy to the RB list. Agree Bullock may play more at slot or WR. However, I can recall at least one game where he dropped 2-3 passes. The poor passing results were not entirely on JVB as the receivers didn't do good job catching ball when had the chance.

Carl Davis, Cooper and LTP will be keys if they can develop inside pass rush. That will help Ott, Alvis and McMinn from outside.
JJ and Faith are unknown but if they play up to their HS clippings, will be a good thing for the Hawks.

Couple of reasons.

1. I think for the offense to really perform well (or at least be dramatically better than last year) there needs to be a clear leader, and I think that Rudock is confident enough to take control of the huddle and lead.
2. Rudock is only a sophomore, so if he wins the job and plays well, that bodes well for the next years of Hawkeye football.

Up until know I haven't really had a pony in the race between Sokol & Rudock. But I really like your point about Rudock potentially having three years as a starter.

I know college ball is different than HS, but the leadership quality is what I think gives Rudock the edge in this battle. For some reason, I don't think that this is as close a battle as the coaches portray...but they have played this very close to the vest and want them all on edge. I will be very surprised if Sokol is announced as the guy. Maybe it's just the poise and leadership qualities and the level of play he faced in HS...it just seems he has the pedigree.

You know this is a pretty believable way to look at the QB situation. Ferentz did the same thing when Tate was supposed to be in a QB battle. Pretty sure they knew he was their guy all along. Competition brings out the best in players. I remember awhile back people were saying that they heard whispers from some other Hawkeye players who thought Beathard was the best. You never know what to believe. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if they know Rudock is the favorite, but they are simply not acknowledging that because they want some competition. Some players can make huge strides in a short amount of time.

The only hesitiation I have with that thought process is the way GD seems to want a QB running his system who can make plays with his feet. Rudock is clearly more adept at that than Vandenberg was, but it seems like Sokol and Beathard might have a leg up on him in that area. Either way at least the guy back there won't be as easy a target as James was. I don't like to hate on him, but it's true.

Four years ago I watched Jake Rudock play 4 games against high school teams in Florida that could compete with most mid-majors. He was playing against teams that put several players into D-1 programs every week. I said on this board at the time that he was the best high school QB, from a leadership standpoint, that I had ever seen. He eventually led his team to the National Championship and passed on Miami to come to Iowa. Now, years later, I haven't kept up on his progress but if he still has half of the skills he had then, he will be very successful as a starter. I remember following him in his NC year as a senior and he hit a 40+ yard TD in every game but 1. I just hope he still has what it takes to take this team to it's highest level. All the parts are there for this team to surprise. We have great RB's, LB's, Secondary, OL, TE's, and if the DL can grow fast and we find an offense that is more open to plays that are longer than 2-3 yards, 7-5 or better is in reach. Question marks will be QB, DL and Receivers.

Rudock never got an offer from Miami. Iowa was the biggest offer he got. He had two WRs that started for FSU and Miami as freshman so the talent surrounding him was overwhelming. Sokol or Beathard could have won the NC on that team to, no doubt.

Rudock never got an offer from Miami. Iowa was the biggest offer he got. He had two WRs that started for FSU and Miami as freshman so the talent surrounding him was overwhelming. Sokol or Beathard could have won the NC on that team to, no doubt.

He had a Miami offer, Golden pursued him very, very hard when he got the head coaching gig.

Latest posts