A few thoughts on the upcoming season

Well maybe they had interest but never extended an offer. Here's his offer list according to rivals.

Jake Rudock - Yahoo! Sports

No, Golden offered. Everyone on this site had their collective panties in a wad. As far as Iowa being the best offer he got, I guess that is up to the eye of the beholder:

No. 26 — QB Jake Rudock | TheGazette

As imported pointed out, Rudock had a Miami offer, and Golden was relentless coming after him.

Florida QB Rudock reaffirms commitment to Hawkeyes | Hawk Central

As imported pointed out, Rudock had a Miami offer, and Golden was relentless coming after him.

It sounds to me like Golden was making a last second push to fill his scholarship limit before signing day (just one week before signing day according to the article). My guess is he called Rudock on the phone and was flat out denied and there was probably no formal offer but it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like Golden was making a last second push to fill his scholarship limit before signing day (just one week before signing day according to the article). My guess is he called Rudock on the phone and was flat out denied and there was probably no formal offer but it doesn't matter.

Golden was new to the job, and was trying to keep his best talent at home. Rudock had always pointed to 'not sure what i'd do if miami offered'......

do you seriously think there was no Miami offer based on what a recruiting website indicates? do you think Golden offered a preferred walk on spot?

Four years ago I watched Jake Rudock play 4 games against high school teams in Florida that could compete with most mid-majors. He was playing against teams that put several players into D-1 programs every week. I said on this board at the time that he was the best high school QB, from a leadership standpoint, that I had ever seen. He eventually led his team to the National Championship and passed on Miami to come to Iowa. Now, years later, I haven't kept up on his progress but if he still has half of the skills he had then, he will be very successful as a starter. I remember following him in his NC year as a senior and he hit a 40+ yard TD in every game but 1. I just hope he still has what it takes to take this team to it's highest level. All the parts are there for this team to surprise. We have great RB's, LB's, Secondary, OL, TE's, and if the DL can grow fast and we find an offense that is more open to plays that are longer than 2-3 yards, 7-5 or better is in reach. Question marks will be QB, DL and Receivers.

I watched one of St. thomas' games a few years back as well. Yes Jake did look very good at qb but you have to remember the talent he had at wr. Phillip Dorsett now playing at Miami and Rashad Green now playing at Flordia St. Iowa has yet to see that type of talent emerge out of their wr corp.

Golden was new to the job, and was trying to keep his best talent at home. Rudock had always pointed to 'not sure what i'd do if miami offered'......

do you seriously think there was no Miami offer based on what a recruiting website indicates? do you think Golden offered a preferred walk on spot?

I think Golden probably made a last minute verbal offer and was turned down so they didn't bother sending a formal offer letter. It's such a late offer, last week before signing day, and from a troubled program that I wouldn't think Rudock would consider it much, but maybe he already did. The preferred walk-on is a possibility to but there aren't specific details in the article.

Last edited:
I think Golden probably made a last minute verbal offer and was turned down so they didn't bother sending a formal offer letter. It's such a late offer, last week before signing day, and from a troubled program that I wouldn't think Rudock would consider it much, but maybe he already did. The preferred walk-on is a possibility to but there aren't specific details in the article.

What are we even discussing here? Miami made a serious push to get him to stay in Florida, and had he decided to do so he would have had a scholarship. That much is clear. Which means he had an offer from Miami however you would like to put it. That about settles it then?

The kid was highly touted out of high school. He was a great recruit for the Hawks to land, and he has a set of tools that may end up making him a special player. Yes he played with great talent in high school, but he still had the keys to the car. He had to lead the huddle, he had to make the throws, and most importantly he had to be the leader. I don't get why it seems like people are already trying to discredit him...

After the way he was hyped during recruiting Im surprised there is even a question on who will win the job. Just goes to show you still have to prove it on the field. What about the kid coming in from Tx ??
What are we even discussing here? Miami made a serious push to get him to stay in Florida, and had he decided to do so he would have had a scholarship. That much is clear. Which means he had an offer from Miami however you would like to put it. That about settles it then?

The kid was highly touted out of high school. He was a great recruit for the Hawks to land, and he has a set of tools that may end up making him a special player. Yes he played with great talent in high school, but he still had the keys to the car. He had to lead the huddle, he had to make the throws, and most importantly he had to be the leader. I don't get why it seems like people are already trying to discredit him...

I watched one of St. thomas' games a few years back as well. Yes Jake did look very good at qb but you have to remember the talent he had at wr. Phillip Dorsett now playing at Miami and Rashad Green now playing at Flordia St. Iowa has yet to see that type of talent emerge out of their wr corp.

Rudock did have great receivers - but it was not like the defenses he played against had no talent. Most nights both the cornerbacks on the other teams are D-1 recruits so he still had to make good decisions and make accurate throws. Most of his touchdown passes were thrown down field it was not like they did a lot of 2 yard outs that the receivers took to the house.

Rudock did have great receivers - but it was not like the defenses he played against had no talent. Most nights both the cornerbacks on the other teams are D-1 recruits so he still had to make good decisions and make accurate throws. Most of his touchdown passes were thrown down field it was not like they did a lot of 2 yard outs that the receivers took to the house.
He was accurate with his throws. Like I said Rudock did look good but even if you're accuate your receivers still need to be able to create some separation & make plays. I just haven't seen that w/ any of Iowa's current receiving corps. Hopefully there will be a few guys that will take some giant steps forward.

Also in the game I watched, which I believe was their opening season game at the Cowboys Stadium on ESPN, I remember like three long touchdown passes over the top. They were great throws by Jake but even better moves made and speed (imo) off the line of scrimmage by the receiver which helped them get open and behind the db.

St. Thomas Aquinas has been a powerhouse in Florida football for a very long time. My kids went to Pine Forest high (Pensacola) in the '90s. PFS played them for the state championship in 97 and won after three overtimes. St. Thomas had won 2 championships in a row before that.
Coming out of St Thomas, Ruduck had to have been a very good prospect that any of the majors would have looked at very seriously. Florida football, like most of the southern states is very competitive. Just to get to the state championship is a testament to a teams ability.

I know college ball is different than HS, but the leadership quality is what I think gives Rudock the edge in this battle. For some reason, I don't think that this is as close a battle as the coaches portray...but they have played this very close to the vest and want them all on edge. I will be very surprised if Sokol is announced as the guy. Maybe it's just the poise and leadership qualities and the level of play he faced in HS...it just seems he has the pedigree.

This is nonsense. Yes, there is a QB battle. If Rudock was that good he would have played last year. Remember one of the worst seasons for a QB in Iowa history and he didn't play a down. Sokol dominated the stats in the Spring game and that was really the first time I've seen the GD offense work (even with a vertical downfield aspect). Yet somehow you think there isn't really a QB battle??

Four years ago I watched Jake Rudock play 4 games against high school teams in Florida that could compete with most mid-majors. He was playing against teams that put several players into D-1 programs every week. I said on this board at the time that he was the best high school QB, from a leadership standpoint, that I had ever seen. He eventually led his team to the National Championship and passed on Miami to come to Iowa. Now, years later, I haven't kept up on his progress but if he still has half of the skills he had then, he will be very successful as a starter. I remember following him in his NC year as a senior and he hit a 40+ yard TD in every game but 1. I just hope he still has what it takes to take this team to it's highest level. All the parts are there for this team to surprise. We have great RB's, LB's, Secondary, OL, TE's, and if the DL can grow fast and we find an offense that is more open to plays that are longer than 2-3 yards, 7-5 or better is in reach. Question marks will be QB, DL and Receivers.

Well, well, well. Here we are 4 games in and I guess I was right about what I saw in his HS days. Your welcome!

Nice I told you so Radman...it's funny, i have a few posts in here also agreeing with you...trying to pat myself on the back here too. I guess even the blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

I live in Coral Springs Florida and had a couple of opportunities to watch St Thomas play, I only went because at the time we had signed Rudock and I wanted to see his abilities for myself. He was in complete control of the offense, much like he is now for Iowa, there was no denying this kids abilities in high school and as someone said, he was lining up against a lot of D-1 talent every week. People in Iowa do not understand just how different high school football is in Florida vs. the Midwest. There are some big time programs in Florida, I believe they would absolutely roll over the big programs in Iowa. We need to enjoy Rudock, he is going to be something special over the next 3 years.

Latest posts