A few Classless Fans need to get a grip

longtimer

Apparently Petras is taking a lot of hits on social media with some being way out of line. His response is that he is a human being. He says it is hurting his family as one can well understand
At this point I think it would be good if he entered the portal and Padilla as well. I think both could enjoy playing football at a lesser than Power 5 school and not subject themselves to the continued grief that will be there if they come back next year
Nothing wrong playing for Kent State or UNI

Apparently Petras is taking a lot of hits on social media with some being way out of line. His response is that he is a human being. He says it is hurting his family as one can well understand
At this point I think it would be good if he entered the portal and Padilla as well. I think both could enjoy playing football at a lesser than Power 5 school and not subject themselves to the continued grief that will be there if they come back next year
If the coaches are being completely honest (and if only Kirk would be with getting someone that knows offense to actually run the offense) would to be what you suggest. Both of them going would force the coaches to go to the portal to get better talent at this position. Both of these guys are not the answer in all reality.

Nobody is bashing petras as a person. Nobody. Every report and interview with him he seems like a great guy. But the dude just flat out sucks at QB. I also saw the video tweet of him talking about it and I can understand not enjoying what he and his family reads online but he sure as heck isn’t helping himself out on the field. We’re tired of paying $80+ a ticket to watch it.

With all due respect, because he seems like a great guy and I'm sure his parents are too...but why in the world would an athlete's parent read ANY social media posts about their son? Nobody forces ANYBODY to read ANYTHING on social media. Why would any parent read something a stupid fan says about their son's athletic ability? I don't get it.

If someone is attacking his character or him personally that is wrong. But to state the obvious we have seen and yes we are all arm chair Qb's and coaches his play is very inconsistent. Makes tight throw between defenders first half and misses wide open guys next. Being critical of his performance isn't off limits. Kinda comes with the territory. But I blame for the hundredth f**king time I've said it the SYSTEM they are made to work in. Play safe, no chances, don't turn it over and so on and so on. Do you think these guys play tight for no reason! Let the damn ball rip and let them gain confidence in their god give abilities and grow into the position. The Iowa development system allows development in all areas except QB! There it regresses! Anybody saying that the manning kid who fare any better playing for KF doesn't know shit for the last 20 some years!

Last edited:
With all due respect, because he seems like a great guy and I'm sure his parents are too...but why in the world would an athlete's parent read ANY social media posts about their son? Nobody forces ANYBODY to read ANYTHING on social media. Why would any parent read something a stupid fan says about their son's athletic ability? I don't get it.
Agree 100%.....they should stay far away from social media along with the players...or at least not get sucked into it.

There are things he doesn't do well, but

Who has coached him to this current level?
Who has worked to help him improve/perfect his fundamentals (throwing, footwork, etc.)?
Who puts him on the field?
Who calls the plays for him?
Who coaches the players around him?
Who has taught him his progressions?
Who taught him to read a defense?

Petras is not the answer to any of those questions. The only thing he can do is to tell the coaches he's not good enough and doesn't want to play.

One more question: Who throws the interceptions?

He has 14 interceptions in 20 career games. 3 yesterday, one on a hail mary and one as he was being hit. He had 4 against Purdue when he played like crap and 3 in his 2nd career game vs. NW, didn't play well in that game, but wasn't awful. In those 3 games, 1 int led to a TD and 1 to a fg. That leaves 4 interceptions in the other 17 games. We were 4-0 in those games.

Am I saying he's great? No.

Am I saying he's the one that should take the blame for his performance? No.

Am I saying dickheads should be ripping him like they have been on social media? No.

Who has worked to help him improve/perfect his fundamentals (throwing, footwork, etc.)?

Petras is not the answer to any of those questions. The only thing he can do is to tell the coaches he's not good enough and doesn't want to play.

He has 14 interceptions in 20 career games. 3 yesterday, one on a hail mary and one as he was being hit. He had 4 against Purdue when he played like crap and 3 in his 2nd career game vs. NW, didn't play well in that game, but wasn't awful. In those 3 games, 1 int led to a TD and 1 to a fg. That leaves 4 interceptions in the other 17 games. We were 4-0 in those games.

Am I saying dickheads should be ripping him like they have been on social media? No.
This.

There’s a difference between saying he shouldn’t be the Hawkeyes’ QB and taking personal shots at him.

Also this.

If my kid were in that position I wouldn’t touch twitter with a ten foot pole. If I did I’d be spending 12 hours a day trying to find the addresses of random Twitter idiots so I could burn their houses down. Would not be a healthy thing.

And then there's this................

Hawkeye Images@webcentrick

"There was a family of Hawk fans sitting on the front row of the end zone immediately adjacent to the Hawkeye tunnel. At halftime, as the players were jammed heading into the locker room, the mother of the family screamed “Get a real quarterback” so, yes, fans are trashing players"

It’s fair to criticize his play but that’s it. And it should be done without vitriol.

Ok - “Petras is too inaccurate.”

Not Ok - “Petras is a piece of shit!”

Agree 100%. Most of the offensive ineptitude is on the coaching staff. They recruit, teach and put the players on the field. Every kid on the team gives their best effort 99% of the time.

10 wins are 10 wins, but most of them were ugly and there will be years, as we've seen, the ball won't bounce the right way and Iowa will be 7-5 or 6-6. Iowa is almost always around 5 to 10 plays each year from being 10-2 or 6-6, mostly due to the extreme conservatism of KF.

Again, 99% of the offensive debacle of this team is on the coaching staff. Hawkeye Gamefilm said it best on Twitter. "If your the Iowa staff and you don't see the problems with your offense... not sure what to say at this point." He's great at breaking things down. He's played at a big time level and knows what he's talking about.

At least 2 of the interceptions against purdue were when time was running out and
the Hawks were in desperation mode

Petras is also the victim of a lousy O Line early this season when we were winning despite
everything

Petras is also the victim of a criminal offensive scheme. Would be better to run the
Wildcat all the time

The receivers don't exactly run intricate routes

Zero imagination on offense

If Vegas takes bets on what the Hawks are going to do on the first play of the game,
One could retire with millions

:cool:

This was a really good thread. Anecdote: When Nate S. Was our QB, on two occasions I happened to sit next to Nate’s parents at away games. I refrained from talking to them, but it was a first hand look at parents of a D-1 QB watching him play. God. I watched my 3 kids in high school and was a basket case. Imagine how NS’s parents felt! When I got up to leave at game’s end, I patted dad on the shoulder and said, “Congratulations.”

The one play yesterday that really sums up Petras' overall play was the pass that sailed 15 yards no where close to a wide open receiver. At this level that can't happen. Inconsistent really sums up his overall game. I'm surprised Kirk didn't send him to the bench for that. I'm sure he is a fine person and realizes that if you're the Hawkeye quarterback and your game sucks you're going to hear about it.

The one play yesterday that really sums up Petras' overall play was the pass that sailed 15 yards no where close to a wide open receiver. At this level that can't happen. Inconsistent really sums up his overall game. I'm surprised Kirk didn't send him to the bench for that. I'm sure he is a fine person and realizes that if you're the Hawkeye quarterback and your game sucks you're going to hear about it.

Yeah, but it happens. The QB is throwing to a spot. We don't know why he missed. Maybe the WR got held on the line or bumped off his route. Maybe the WR ran the wrong route. Maybe the pocket collapsed and he had to throw a hair early.