A different view point

echo44

I thought for the first time this team showed significant improvement
Their close out on the three point shooters was way better
They played more as a team
For the majority of the game the ball movement was much better
The turn overs were much improved.
This is a young team and what we saw tonight was they played the number 4 team in the
nation and
played them tough from start to finish!
When Moss plays aggressive this is a much better team!
A lot of great basketball tonight!!

This is a young team and what we saw tonight was they played the number 4 team in the
nation and

They scored 90+ becasue they are a really good team playing a bad defense. That's way better than watching average teams score 90+ against God awful horrible defenses. We could have been a bubble team if we would have just played hard every game. Hopefully next year they will play hard AND be an improved team.

They scored 90+ becasue they are a really good team playing a bad defense. That's way better than watching average teams score 90+ against God awful horrible defenses. We could have been a bubble team if we would have just played hard every game. Hopefully next year they will play hard AND be an improved team.

I hope so. Just a little better defense and they are close. Can't count on 60% shooting tho.

I’ll hold off on any praise until we see what they do Saturday. It’s been this kind of effort followed by a 20+ point loss in a poor effort game. Just another moral victory tonight.

This is the only "moral victory" of the season. Im not even sure if we've lost a close game this year. We get blown out every time we don't win.

I hope so. Just a little better defense and they are close. Can't count on 60% shooting tho.

No you can't. But the other team can't count on being a top 5 team and shooting so well from the line either. Honestly it was a bad game to play so well in. I would rather have played well against Nebraska or Penn State and got a win, then get blown out tonight.

If Moss plays like that more consistently, Iowa will be a better basketball team. Defense is never going to be good - but it can passable and you can win with that. But if you have 0 production or confidence in what you are going to get from the 2 and 3 spot night in night out, you're in trouble. I get railed for this, but I think with another 1 - Connor ...and Jordan being able to play the 1 and 2 with Moss and Joe W and Baer at the 3, Cordell, Nunge Garza and Cook at the 4 /5- I honestly expect a better team next season. That's just me tho. I am not confident in it, it's just what I expect to see.

Michigan State’s average offensive out put in the B1G is 76 points per game. Same poor defense by Iowa. The only difference in this game over other games was Iowa’s shots were falling. MSU coach basically complimented Iowa’s offense and said the obvious about Iowa’s defensive woes.

Fran again wet’s the bed at the end of the game by going into that stall we have all seen way too often. Let Jordan stand at the top of the key a dribble the clock out to about eight seconds before running a play. This limits your offense extremely and takes the pressure off of the defense making them play defense for just eight seconds. You get three passes at the most. Fran played right into Izzy’s hands at that point. This loss falls at the feet of Fran who can’t seem to figure out that he should run his normal offense and try to get the best shot available during that process. MORONIC.

It was bad defense but some of it is just that MSU has great players who made some fantastic shots and could be a Final 4 team.

Plus, that one guy doesn't make that 3 that bounced of the rim and backboard about 11 times before going in, maybe we win. It's just been that kind of season.

nation and
Ok, but Coach Fry would have punched you in the kisser with this attitude.

We could have been a bubble team if we would have just played hard every game.
While that’s sounds nice, I don’t know if I can agree with that. Even the games we have supposedly “played hard” recently (Neb, Minny, MSU) we have still given up a ton of points.

If we could have been an average to below average defensive team this year we could have probably been a bubble team. I haven’t seen anything that would tell me we are even close to being a below average defensive team regardless of effort. We are absolutely atrocious defensively and have been all year.

In the context of the season, it was nice to see a game like this where we competed.

However, we shot over 50% from the field overall and 50% from 3, we had fewer than 8 turnovers, and played them even on the boards.....and lost.

I'm sorry, but what happened last night from an offensive standpoint was not normal and shouldn't be expected...it was one of those nights where everything clicked and to expect that on a regular basis is fool's gold. What WASN'T different, however, was the fact that we once again gave up 90+ on our home court. Until Fran figures that part out, it ain't getting better in W's and L's....

Michigan State’s average offensive out put in the B1G is 76 points per game. Same poor defense by Iowa. The only difference in this game over other games was Iowa’s shots were falling. MSU coach basically complimented Iowa’s offense and said the obvious about Iowa’s defensive woes.

Fran again wet’s the bed at the end of the game by going into that stall we have all seen way too often. Let Jordan stand at the top of the key a dribble the clock out to about eight seconds before running a play. This limits your offense extremely and takes the pressure off of the defense making them play defense for just eight seconds. You get three passes at the most. Fran played right into Izzy’s hands at that point. This loss falls at the feet of Fran who can’t seem to figure out that he should run his normal offense and try to get the best shot available during that process. MORONIC.

I didn't like the "stall" part either. You can't do that effectively when you don't have a player or two that can create their own shot from the 1-2-3 positions. There's also not a good flow to their offense a lot of the time. Somehow they manage to score but man does it look ugly sometimes.

In the context of the season, it was nice to see a game like this where we competed.

However, we shot over 50% from the field overall and 50% from 3, we had fewer than 8 turnovers, and played them even on the boards.....and lost.

I'm sorry, but what happened last night from an offensive standpoint was not normal and shouldn't be expected...it was one of those nights where everything clicked and to expect that on a regular basis is fool's gold. What WASN'T different, however, was the fact that we once again gave up 90+ on our home court. Until Fran figures that part out, it ain't getting better in W's and L's....

Dead on correct!!!

Factor in Iowa's favor - MSU's fifth game in 12 days

Factor in MSU's favor - made 24 of 29 FT's. Iowa was 12 for 19.

Well, if we can shoot 60% against MSU (who is ranked #1 in FG Defense in the NCAA) we SHOULD be able to crack 50% on anyone.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/149

Should of, could of, would of, the life of a Hawkeye fan. Will the time ever come when we have the type of team Tom Davis inherited his first year as a Hawkeye coach? That team was overpowering and you just expected them to win every game. There was no one you felt we couldn’t beat. When was the last time besides that team you felt that way about. Hasn’t happened under the current coach or previous two coaches before Fran.

I did notice you capitalized the word “SHOULD” and in theory your probably right, however this is Iowa and we like to hire coaches who punt from the opponent’s thirty yardline, or wait until their are eight seconds on the shot clock before running the offense. You can’t make this shit up.

Should of, could of, would of, the life of a Hawkeye fan. Will the time ever come when we have the type of team Tom Davis inherited his first year as a Hawkeye coach? That team was overpowering and you just expected them to win every game. There was no one you felt we couldn’t beat. When was the last time besides that team you felt that way about. Hasn’t happened under the current coach or previous two coaches before Fran.

I did notice you capitalized the word “SHOULD” and in theory your probably right, however this is Iowa and we like to hire coaches who punt from the opponent’s thirty yardline, or wait until their are eight seconds on the shot clock before running the offense. You can’t make this shit up.

Just saying that when a team holds opponents to 36.1% FG and we shoot 60% FG...... shouldn't we be shooting better from the field than we do?

Just saying that when a team holds opponents to 36.1% FG and we shoot 60% FG...... shouldn't we be shooting better from the field than we do?
MSU didn't take Iowa seriously for much of the game. Izzo was aware of this, but it's hard to convince your players of this until they begin to experience it. By the time they figure it out, you can only hope your team has enough time left to do something about it. To wit, in the first 15 minutes of the second half, Iowa shot almost 60% from the field. In the last 5:00 minutes, they shot around 35%. Granted, there were a number of factors that play into this, but MSU stepping up its defensive intensity had a lot to do with that. Nothing that insightful here, Dakich noted this, I just looked up the stats, which support that.

Latest posts