A Cruel Joke...This is the End

VTHawk

This is the cruelest joke that I can remember having to endure as an Iowa Hawkeye football fan.

Last year things looked so great. I was so proud. We were ranked 3rd and 4th in the nation. We were in the Big Ten Championship game.

How can a team turn 180 degrees so fast? Now our top recruits are de-commiting which will undoubtedly make others de-commit.

One year ago things were gravy.

Today our program is in a 100% downward spiral and looks like its only going to get worse.

It is so sad to see this program in so many ways be a laughing stock of college football.

Thanks Barta.

Thanks Ferentz.

Thanks a lot. Really. Just been such a joy. Really.

Last edited:
I expected a regression as last season was a fluke, fun but a fluke. However, I didn't expect that we would play so poorly and revert back to bad habits.

This is the cruelest joke that I can remember having to endure as an Iowa Hawkeye football fan.

Last year things looked so great. I was so proud. We were ranked 3rd and 4th in the nation. We were in the Big Ten Championship game.

How can a team turn 180 degrees so fast? Now our top recruits are de-commiting which will undoubtedly make others de-commit.

One year ago things were gravy.

Today our program is in a 100% downward spiral and looks like its only going to get worse.

It is so sad to see this program in so many ways be a laughing stock of college football.

Thanks Barta.

Thanks Ferentz.

Thanks a lot. Really. Just been such a joy. Really.

The seasons are actually quite similar in many regards. CJ's numbers are about the same. The defense is a little worse. The biggest difference is that all the good breaks we got last year are not happening this year. All the balls bounced in our favor last year, not this year. And that's a big part of why this year has been a let down. Going into the season, I thought 9 or 10 wins would be a good year given what we had returning. But we have reverted back to the old ways. The biggest failure of this staff is that they refuse to evolve to changing times. It's like a technology company that isn't willing to adapt to new technology nor stay ahead of technology. People wonder why Bama stays on top. It's because Saban sticks with his processes/principles but is also willing to change with the times when it calls to do so. You have to look no further than their QB. Saban's a Belichick protege just like KF but seems less stubborn and I didn't think that was possible. And he was always an advocate for QBs like we have, pro style to stand back and throw it. Jalen Hurts is a read option QB. Not many people ever thought Saban would go to that kind of offense.

Until this staff turns over or until the current one has a mindset change, we will never be any better than a 59% winning University. And yet we turn away talented recruits because of a visit or two...that's how you stay stuck in the mud.

We're 5-3, probably headed for 6-6. That's bad and disappointing, but now that makes us a "laughingstock"?

It's time to get a grip, folks. The difference between 9-3 and 6-6 isn't that great. Teams get a little better or a little worse each year and that can be the difference between those two records.

C'mon man.

lol WHAT? 9-3 and 6-6 isn't that big of a difference? Last time I checked we should have been 7-0 coming into this weekend. You're telling me 7-0 and 5-2 isn't that big of a difference? Remember, those losses are to an FCS team and Northwestern. We were #11 in the country at the time. Now, we don't receive votes. There is just a little difference there?

200w.gif

The seasons are actually quite similar in many regards. CJ's numbers are about the same. The defense is a little worse. The biggest difference is that all the good breaks we got last year are not happening this year. All the balls bounced in our favor last year, not this year. And that's a big part of why this year has been a let down. Going into the season, I thought 9 or 10 wins would be a good year given what we had returning. But we have reverted back to the old ways. The biggest failure of this staff is that they refuse to evolve to changing times. It's like a technology company that isn't willing to adapt to new technology nor stay ahead of technology. People wonder why Bama stays on top. It's because Saban sticks with his processes/principles but is also willing to change with the times when it calls to do so. You have to look no further than their QB. Saban's a Belichick protege just like KF but seems less stubborn and I didn't think that was possible. And he was always an advocate for QBs like we have, pro style to stand back and throw it. Jalen Hurts is a read option QB. Not many people ever thought Saban would go to that kind of offense.

Until this staff turns over or until the current one has a mindset change, we will never be any better than a 59% winning University. And yet we turn away talented recruits because of a visit or two...that's how you stay stuck in the mud.

We've already gotten more good breaks this year than all last year combined. Every time a ball hits the ground, it bounces right to us. It took one good break to win the Wisconsin game last year. This year we got the same exact break, plus two missed field goals and two lucky fumble recovers. All that to make the game look closer than it ever was and never have a real chance of winning.

We're 5-3, probably headed for 6-6. That's bad and disappointing, but now that makes us a "laughingstock"?

It's time to get a grip, folks. The difference between 9-3 and 6-6 isn't that great. Teams get a little better or a little worse each year and that can be the difference between those two records.

C'mon man.

No were a laughing stock because we lose to an FCS program immediately after giving KF an extension. Which in my opinion is humorous.

We then struggle offensively and defensively, which make the talking heads feel they were correct when labeling us as over-rated last season. Which makes them laugh.

We then lose a top 10 RB, allegedly over taking recruiting visits, which if not associated with the program is hilarious.

And then I remember a certain KF quote issued after the Wiscy game when he was asked why kick a FG with under 6:00 minutes to go, while driving 60 yards down by 8 and getting the response that "it was a two score game at that point".

I've not given up on this team, but am incredibly frustrated and its truthfully hard not to laugh from the perspective of a fan of the program. Can't imagine how hard it would be not to laugh if this was happening to a program like ISU, Wiscy, Michigan, Nebby, etc...

No were a laughing stock because we lose to an FCS program immediately after giving KF an extension. Which in my opinion is humorous.

We then struggle offensively and defensively, which make the talking heads feel they were correct when labeling us as over-rated last season. Which makes them laugh.

We then lose a top 10 RB, allegedly over taking recruiting visits, which if not associated with the program is hilarious.

And then I remember a certain KF quote issued after the Wiscy game when he was asked why kick a FG with under 6:00 minutes to go, while driving 60 yards down by 8 and getting the response that "it was a two score game at that point".

I've not given up on this team, but am incredibly frustrated and its truthfully hard not to laugh from the perspective of a fan of the program. Can't imagine how hard it would be not to laugh if this was happening to a program like ISU, Wiscy, Michigan, Nebby, etc...
Hard to argue with that.

I completely disagree. From the ISU game on, we never trailed a single second in the 4th quarter during the rest of the regular season. Not once. Then we got to the B1G title game and trailed for a total of less than a minute....from the time it took for the bomb to Tevaun Smith on the 1st play of the 4th quarter until MSU took the lead back with a few seconds left in the game. You don't do that by getting "good breaks". You get that by going against tendancy, you get that by allowing the QB to take off and run which gives the defense a whole other dimension to prepare for, you get that by playing sound, fundamental defense. Everything that KF did good and allowed last year, has been taken completely off the table and he's back to 2014 KF that lost every single game of consequence that year.

lol WHAT? 9-3 and 6-6 isn't that big of a difference? Last time I checked we should have been 7-0 coming into this weekend. You're telling me 7-0 and 5-2 isn't that big of a difference? Remember, those losses are to an FCS team and Northwestern. We were #11 in the country at the time. Now, we don't receive votes. There is just a little difference there?

Why doesn't this guy post more often??????

Returned our leading WR
2 of out top 3 RBs
2nd team all big-ten QB
Promising TEs
The number one O-line ---->http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/thre...nks-our-o-line-no-1.76329/page-3#post-1539276

Thorpe winner on defense (first time that has ever happened apparently)
Most of our defensive studs

Our special teams exceeded expectations.

Our football team was ranked

Our recruiting class was ranked

Everything was set up to create momentum and become what Wisky has become.

THEN THE CONTRACT WAS SIGNED AND EVERYTHING TURNED TO ***T! If a certain HC was just a little less greedy . . . and a certain AD was just a little more of a fan of the movie TROPIC THUNDER, which warns against going full retard. Then everything would be sunshine and puppy-dog kisses.

Last edited:
I completely disagree. From the ISU game on, we never trailed a single second in the 4th quarter during the rest of the regular season. Not once. Then we got to the B1G title game and trailed for a total of less than a minute....from the time it took for the bomb to Tevaun Smith on the 1st play of the 4th quarter until MSU took the lead back with a few seconds left in the game. You don't do that by getting "good breaks". You get that by going against tendancy, you get that by allowing the QB to take off and run which gives the defense a whole other dimension to prepare for, you get that by playing sound, fundamental defense. Everything that KF did good and allowed last year, has been taken completely off the table and he's back to 2014 KF that lost every single game of consequence that year.

What I more accurately should have said was that the close games are not going our way this year vs last year. Many times we are shooting ourselves in the foot with a penalty that costs us or something along those lines. We leave ourselves virtually no margin of error. When things don't go just right, then we end up losing those games. I would agree that KF loosened the reins last year and it worked out well. What I cant wrap my mind around is how can he see those results happen last yr, revert to 2014 ways this year, realize those aren't working and then not open it back up. Has to find a way to evolve.

7 wins ups the buyout to 100%

Seems like a once-proud program has lowered the bar on what excellence is

7 wins ups the buyout to 100%

Seems like a once-proud program has lowered the bar on what excellence is

This was a very strange part of the buyout terms, being that after 2014 Barta said that 7-5 regular seasons are not meeting expectations at Iowa.

What I more accurately should have said was that the close games are not going our way this year vs last year. Many times we are shooting ourselves in the foot with a penalty that costs us or something along those lines. We leave ourselves virtually no margin of error. When things don't go just right, then we end up losing those games. I would agree that KF loosened the reins last year and it worked out well. What I cant wrap my mind around is how can he see those results happen last yr, revert to 2014 ways this year, realize those aren't working and then not open it back up. Has to find a way to evolve.

Agree. We've had several big plays called back due to a penalty (that even the TV announcers couldn't see). If those big plays are allowed, I believe we would have two more wins as we would have had the ball inside the 10. We've also had too many drive-killing penalties. When you go from 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 16, that's a drive killer.