A bad match-up for Indiana vs Iowa

Homer, great logic but the Iowa D is awful. I know we have a lot of guys hurt and in different positions, but so does Indiana. If a Quarterback ever wanted to win a Heisman, play Iowa every game.

Here's the flip side ... Iowa's D really did force Indiana's O to execute and complete long drives.

But the problem is this ... and I'll agree with folks who assert it ... Iowa's D has really been suckin' it when it's come to 3rd down D.

However, that said ... apart from the long ball against Lowery ... which was a "young" error ... the Hawks still forced Indiana to earn their points.

Here's the flip side ... Iowa's D really did force Indiana's O to execute and complete long drives.

But the problem is this ... and I'll agree with folks who assert it ... Iowa's D has really been suckin' it when it's come to 3rd down D.

However, that said ... apart from the long ball against Lowery ... which was a "young" error ... the Hawks still forced Indiana to earn their points.

3rd down conversions are way too easy right now. Something needs to change

The D still has a LONG ways to go. However, I'd still say that its worth noting that they really didn't give up "easy" points to IU. And that is their job ... at the very least they need to provide some resistance so that we're at least still in the game.

Of course, the mediocre play on O definitely places more pressure on the O to have to produce in order for us to win games.

To the OP. . . Good call. (note sarcasm)

The D definitely wasn't playing great ... however, at least we weren't giving up too many big plays. It's still the job of the D to make the opposition EARN their points.

I definitely will concede that I was wrong about how many points would get scored.

However, I think that credit also should go to IU's young QB for really using his mobility well.

I'll say this ... I'm as nervous as anybody at this point when it comes to containing Martinez and Shoelace. As things stand ... we're definitely not going to be able to shut down those Os. Heck ... the big question is whether we can at least provide enough of an obstacle to them so that our O has a chance to score more points.

Right now ... as things stand ... I think that we ONLY win 2 more games out of our last 5. Our D is going to have to play much better before I see us doing ANY better than that.

The D definitely wasn't playing great ... however, at least we weren't giving up too many big plays. It's still the job of the D to make the opposition EARN their points.

I definitely will concede that I was wrong about how many points would get scored.

However, I think that credit also should go to IU's young QB for really using his mobility well.

I'll say this ... I'm as nervous as anybody at this point when it comes to containing Martinez and Shoelace. As things stand ... we're definitely not going to be able to shut down those Os. Heck ... the big question is whether we can at least provide enough of an obstacle to them so that our O has a chance to score more points.

Right now ... as things stand ... I think that we ONLY win 2 more games out of our last 5. Our D is going to have to play much better before I see us doing ANY better than that.

Fair enough. We're on the same page about the remaining games. My point with the last post was that Iowa has serious issues with defense this year.

This is actually worth posting about because it has been so long since that was the case.

The question is if the D line can gel a bit better to free up the backfield to make plays. It looks like Morris is ready to blitz like crazy, but you can't do that if the D line is weak. And with the rotation we've had there, especially with the injuries, it's tough to blitz like so many people are asking for. Hopefully they figure some things out against Minny and are ready to go for the rest of the season.

This is as long of a "Homer respond" as I'm willing to give at this juncture. :)

The defense made a freshman IU quarterback and a couple young receivers look like world-beaters yesterday. Not the first time that's happened this year. That will be a problem when the Iowa offense comes up against better defenses, especially in MSU, Michigan and Nebraska.

But for this week enjoy the victory, and hope for another one Saturday @ Minny.

I still think people are not giving enough credit to the Alston factor. The D will continue to get more stout. Probably not run the table more stout, but more stout just the same.

Latest posts