A bad match-up for Indiana vs Iowa

Nah, I am trying to calm down the football gods. It seems like every time we get over confident and people start predicting blowouts the gods think they need to teach us hawk fans humility. I know people keep saying what has happened in the past has no bearing on this Saturdays game but I cannot help but think of how sick I felt when we came within a dropped pass of losing to Indiana and then lost to Minnesota last year. I love our coaching staff and all but for once I wish Iowa would kick teams like this in the arse like ole Hayden Fry used to do.

Man, some short memories around here:

Iowa pulls away from Hoosiers 45-9 to end skid - College Football - Rivals.com

Even with the weirdness of the 2009 game we ended up covering the spread against them.

Nah, I am trying to calm down the football gods. It seems like every time we get over confident and people start predicting blowouts the gods think they need to teach us hawk fans humility. I know people keep saying what has happened in the past has no bearing on this Saturdays game but I cannot help but think of how sick I felt when we came within a dropped pass of losing to Indiana and then lost to Minnesota last year. I love our coaching staff and all but for once I wish Iowa would kick teams like this in the arse like ole Hayden Fry used to do.

Iowa is going to win by at least 100 tomorrow, and Gunner Kiel will commit to Iowa via twitter.

No need to break this one down really. If Iowa loses they aren't a good team and it won't be worth getting that upset about because like I said, they wouldn't be that good anyways.

If Iowa is worth anything they will win.

Iowa will win comfortably, at least a 17 point win.

The game last year should be all that is needed to focus on the game tomorrow. If not, it is homecoming, so the energy should be pretty good. If the game were on the road, I would be very slightly nervous, but at home, I believe we roll!

I hate to tell you superstitious fools, but your message board posts do not effect the game.You are simply trolls.
Put the pipe down bud and relax. I for one thinks Iowa pounds Indiana to powder tomorrow. You have a problem with that?oh and I'm not the superstitious type
FYI predator those of us that have smoked know that partaking of the pipe does make us relax. I guess thats depending on what it is you are accusing him of smoking!

Man, some short memories around here:

Iowa pulls away from Hoosiers 45-9 to end skid - College Football - Rivals.com

Even with the weirdness of the 2009 game we ended up covering the spread against them.

I remember that game but honestly that team was way better than this one. KF is 6-4 against Indiana, I am going to borrow a saying Mack Brown used to describe Iowa State. To have a successful program you do not lose to teams like Indiana! Iowa has already lost to Iowa State this year, another BAD team. People predicting we are going to crush Indiana by 30 points must be watching a different team than I am.

I remember that game but honestly that team was way better than this one. KF is 6-4 against Indiana, I am going to borrow a saying Mack Brown used to describe Iowa State. To have a successful program you do not lose to teams like Indiana! Iowa has already lost to Iowa State this year, another BAD team. People predicting we are going to crush Indiana by 30 points must be watching a different team than I am.

Sagarin:

ISU 65
Indiana 130

FYI predator those of us that have smoked know that partaking of the pipe does make us relax. I guess thats depending on what it is you are accusing him of smoking!

Yeah, if I had a pipe in my hand to put down, I would be super happy.

Fair enough.

I remember when Iowa fans were predicting blowouts vs Tennessee Tech and then we lost. That was heartbreaking.

I hate to tell you superstitious fools, but your message board posts do not effect the game.

You are simply trolls.

I call BS on this. I already have on my lucky sweatshirt. Worn it for all 4 Hawkeye wins this year. We lost the two in which I did not wear it.:rolleyes:

Why take chances.

And also Iowa by 34 points today.

Homer, great logic but the Iowa D is awful. I know we have a lot of guys hurt and in different positions, but so does Indiana. If a Quarterback ever wanted to win a Heisman, play Iowa every game.

As Iowa fans well know, Iowa's D specializes in forcing opposing Os to execute, execute, and execute some more .... and in the process a lot of time is eaten away ... however, very few points are usually scored. We all know this as the "bend-but-not-break" defense ... and it infuriates many.

By my tally ... opposing D1 FBS teams have only covered more than 50+ yards against Iowa in relatively short drives FIVE TIMES all season! These would be the instances where the D "broke" instead of just bent. Apart from some lapses against Northwestern late in the 4th quarter when the game already seemed well "in-hand" .... Iowa hasn't given up a single such "quick hitter" in the last 3 games. I think that really speaks much of the maturation of our safies.

In contrast, Iowa has allowed 16 long, sustained drives that have gone for roughly 50 yards or more against D1 FBS foes. The result of those 16 drives? Iowa has given up just 6 TDs and 5 FGs .... that is, just 57 points ... or just roughly 3.6 points per long, sustained drive. In other words, while Iowa's D is definitely giving up more points than we're used to .... Iowa's D has still been successful in bending a lot more than it's been breaking!

Now, how does all this impact Indiana? Well, the Hoosiers have only managed to sustain 13 long, sustained drives against D1 FBS foes ALL SEASON! That's just a shade over 2-such drives per game! And from those drives, they've managed a measly 48 points .... just 3.7 points per long, sustained drive! In other words ... not only do they SUCK at sustaining drives ... but they also SUCK when it comes to scoring off of them!

Don't get me wrong ... Indiana has a great return game when it comes to special teams ... and turnovers also can always swing momentum in games .... however, it's pretty obvious that if Indiana has a long field in front of them ... they're going to be SCREWED! Of course, given how shaky Iowa has been on kick coverage .... Iowa might have problems exploiting Indiana's obvious "Achilles heel."

But, if Iowa DOES manage to win the field-position battle ... and leave Indiana with lousy field position. The above considerations suggest that Indiana will self-destruct on O long before they score too many points.

Homer, I love what you bring to the board and your analysis, but don't quit your day job. :D

Homer, I love what you bring to the board and your analysis, but don't quit your day job. :D

LOL! In my defense, the last score was against a bunch of 3rd teamers.

However, I will say that Iowa was missing Nielsen at the LEO spot. It also didn't help that Daniels was out for a bit.

Latest posts