A bad match-up for Indiana vs Iowa

homerHAWKeye777

As Iowa fans well know, Iowa's D specializes in forcing opposing Os to execute, execute, and execute some more .... and in the process a lot of time is eaten away ... however, very few points are usually scored. We all know this as the "bend-but-not-break" defense ... and it infuriates many.

By my tally ... opposing D1 FBS teams have only covered more than 50+ yards against Iowa in relatively short drives FIVE TIMES all season! These would be the instances where the D "broke" instead of just bent. Apart from some lapses against Northwestern late in the 4th quarter when the game already seemed well "in-hand" .... Iowa hasn't given up a single such "quick hitter" in the last 3 games. I think that really speaks much of the maturation of our safies.

In contrast, Iowa has allowed 16 long, sustained drives that have gone for roughly 50 yards or more against D1 FBS foes. The result of those 16 drives? Iowa has given up just 6 TDs and 5 FGs .... that is, just 57 points ... or just roughly 3.6 points per long, sustained drive. In other words, while Iowa's D is definitely giving up more points than we're used to .... Iowa's D has still been successful in bending a lot more than it's been breaking!

Now, how does all this impact Indiana? Well, the Hoosiers have only managed to sustain 13 long, sustained drives against D1 FBS foes ALL SEASON! That's just a shade over 2-such drives per game! And from those drives, they've managed a measly 48 points .... just 3.7 points per long, sustained drive! In other words ... not only do they SUCK at sustaining drives ... but they also SUCK when it comes to scoring off of them!

Don't get me wrong ... Indiana has a great return game when it comes to special teams ... and turnovers also can always swing momentum in games .... however, it's pretty obvious that if Indiana has a long field in front of them ... they're going to be SCREWED! Of course, given how shaky Iowa has been on kick coverage .... Iowa might have problems exploiting Indiana's obvious "Achilles heel."

But, if Iowa DOES manage to win the field-position battle ... and leave Indiana with lousy field position. The above considerations suggest that Indiana will self-destruct on O long before they score too many points.

For the sake of a reference point, how are you defining "short" and "long" drives? Are you using the number of plays as a reference point?

For the sake of a reference point, how are you defining "short" and "long" drives? Are you using the number of plays as a reference point?

long drive = 8+ plays + roughly 50+ yards

In other words, a drive that is both sustained AND covers a decent length of the field.

Special teams is going to be pretty central in the game IMO. If Iowa's special teams play is good ... then I think that Iowa will blow the Hoosiers out. If not ... then the game could get closer than I'd like.
What kind of "Special" teams are we talking about? The kind that has a punter kick it into his own teammate's back? That punt last weekend did hit the Indiana player first right? I can't remember. Either way that was pretty special indeed!

I happen to like the taste of crow. Taste like chicken. :D

I would never ever bet against our Hawks to lose a game.

It is either this or you enjoy being an idiot.

I guess if Iowa does lose then I will look like the idiot, but if that does happen it is safe to say Iowa doesn't win another game the rest of the year.

What kind of "Special" teams are we talking about? The kind that has a punter kick it into his own teammate's back? That punt last weekend did hit the Indiana player first right? I can't remember. Either way that was pretty special indeed!

I'm primarily worrying about Iowa's kick coverage right now. They had been playing pretty well for a few games ... but they were looking pretty bad against Northwestern.

Indiana's Wynn is a pretty darn good kick returner.

Let me mention Iowa's traditionally weak secondary play against passing teams like Indiana. Have I heard correctly that Indiana now has a good running game?

Iowa better pour on the points to beat Indiana.

Side note, ultimately, all your silly/'precious' bend-but-don't-break pass defense does is tire out Iowa's defense and takes posessions away from Iowa's offense.
The defense's goal should be to stop the opponent's offense. Three- and-out, anyone?

Last edited:
I hate to tell you superstitious fools, but your message board posts do not effect the game.

You are simply trolls.

Put the pipe down bud and relax.

I for one thinks Iowa pounds Indiana to powder tomorrow.
You have a problem with that?oh and I'm not the superstitious type

Let me mention Iowa's traditionally weak secondary play against passing teams like Indiana. Have I heard correctly that Indiana now has a good running game?

Iowa better pour on the points to beat Indiana.

Side note, ultimately, all your silly/'precious' bend-but-don't-break pass defense does is tire out Iowa's defense and takes posessions away from Iowa's offense.
The defense's goal should be to stop the opponent's offense. Three- and-out, anyone?

If you didn't notice, against Northwestern Iowa forced A LOT of 3rd and 5+ situations. However, Northwestern had the benefit of having a precision passer like Persa passing the ball ... and he's the sort of guy who can easily have a 70%+ completion percentage ... and, on top of that, he can extend plays with his mobility too.

Indiana's QBs don't hold a candle to Persa.

Opposing Ds haven't been respecting IU's running game ... and thus have focussed more on shutting down the only real threat on O that IU put forth ... their passing game. That's a big reason why IU has been having some success running the ball.

It is either this or you enjoy being an idiot.

I guess if Iowa does lose then I will look like the idiot, but if that does happen it is safe to say Iowa doesn't win another game the rest of the year.

Nah, I am trying to calm down the football gods. It seems like every time we get over confident and people start predicting blowouts the gods think they need to teach us hawk fans humility. I know people keep saying what has happened in the past has no bearing on this Saturdays game but I cannot help but think of how sick I felt when we came within a dropped pass of losing to Indiana and then lost to Minnesota last year. I love our coaching staff and all but for once I wish Iowa would kick teams like this in the arse like ole Hayden Fry used to do.

Latest posts