8-4 or 5-7

Well since Iowa's offense usually blows goats, I'll go with closer to 5-7.

Just curious but statistically what seperates great, good, mediocre, pour, and goat blowing when it comes to measuring a teams performance? How do I know what to look for to realize that a teams offense goes from mediocre to blowing goats without the actual presence of a goat?

last years' team was closer to 5-7. How the hell does anyone on this forum know what this team can do this year?

We've got

addition through subtraction - on the D-line - ehnanced talent
healthy o Line
healthy more experienced running backs
experience TEs
WRs who understand the system and understand the QBs.

I have a feeling that the Hawks will surprise the pundits and fans this year and will end the season closer to 8-4 than 5-7. Call me delusional, but I think there is enough talent and depth on offense at quarterback and running back (knock on wood), and especially at tight end and offensive line to move the ball and score a lot more points than last year. As it has been pointed out before, last year's offense had to score only 19? more pionts throught the season to have ended with a respectable record, a bowl game, an extra practice time. . The only GLARING hole in this offense is at wide receiver. As for the defense, obviously the linebackers are a strength and I think the front four will finally come around with something sembling a pass rush (warning: results may take a few games). Anyway, the over all run defense and pass rush will be much more effective than last year, and last year's defense really wasn't all that bad. Overall, I hope this team will finally learn to consistently win games against the teams they should beat and at least stay competative with the better teams and maybe, just maybe actually upset a few. I'm thinking 7-5 regular season with a win in a low/mid tier bowl game. 8-5 final record. Now, I am going to take my Glass-half-full of Hawkeye Kool-Aid and fill the rest up with vodka and enjoy some football this season.

All you have to do is look at what we have going on in the trenches to feel optimistic about the coming year. Last year, we were in nearly every ballgame with a chance to win in the fourth quarter, save maybe three games. In 2013, we will be much, much better on the offensive line and the defensive line. Guys are older, stronger, bigger, and motivated, so in my mind, that reasons we will be in every game again this year. That's where the game is won and lost boys...in the trenches.

Now, you have a couple of RBs that showed some pop last year (bullock and weisman), and 3 guys that will contribute this year...Malloy, Hill, and Canzeri. You have options. Our TE's have the potential to be a critical component to this offense. We are deep, big, and physical at TE. We will be able to run the ball...even with 7 or 8 in the box. The key to our offense will be the inexperienced QB, but they don't have to be game breakers to be effective. Play action will work, and they just need to get the ball where it belongs. I think that happens.

I think they are up tempo on offense this entire camp...except when the B10 Network is there. They are going to get as many reps for these QBs as possible. I'm leaning on 8-4 or 9-3. We turn the ship.

First off I want to point out that Jon started a prediction thread already. Now having said that I choose to error on the side of optimism and so that is why I am responding to one of the more optimistic post on this thread. The game is won in the trenches and always will be. Also keep in mind that our QB last year struggled terribly last season with the offensive schemes we were running. Yes our QB will be inexperienced this year but seriously could he be less effective? That's not a knock on Vandy as he did the best he could and I just don't think descent people come on a forum and publicly attack players while hiding behind a alias forum name. Injuries and the new system were a tough break for Vandy.

Put me down under the certifiable category as I'm going with eight or nine wins. I just don't see a four win season again. We are too good for that to happen. If that should be the case the KF may not see 2014 as Iowa's head coach. I've always felt that 2014 is all he has left to prove himself. However a four win season could hang him. I don't foresee that happening however and think we bounce back this season.

l've gotta go for now as security is here with my straight jacket and medication. I get to share a cell with my buddy Hannibal today.........he kills me. :)

Last edited:
Just curious but statistically what seperates great, good, mediocre, pour, and goat blowing when it comes to measuring a teams performance? How do I know what to look for to realize that a teams offense goes from mediocre to blowing goats without the actual presence of a goat?

Great - Ranked 20th or better in offense
Good - Ranked 21-40th in offense
Mediocre - Ranked 41st - 80th in offense
Pour - Ranked 81st - 100th in offense
Blows Goats - ranked worse than 101th

There's a picture of derp davis and the 2012 offense under blowing goats in the dictionary for your reference.

Last edited:
7-5

If they can't throw the football at all they will end up 5-7, otherwise barring injuries I see a 2-3 game improvement from last year.

The schedule is more difficult this year, but it is backloaded they could very easily get off to a 5-1 start, do i dare say 6-0 start.

I will be surprised if they dont get 7 regular season wins. Dont pay much attention to all the experts in the media.

I saw a stat that all but one of KF's ranked teams had a new starting QB. Now those teams have had more proven D-Lines but, it's interesting to say the least.

I'm glad the blowing goats reference really took off there for awhile. Refer to Tubahawk's post in regards to what blowing goats is defined as exactly. He nailed it.

based on what? You're a great fan. I'm beginning to remember why I quit this site for several months more than once, but half the guys on here know more than Ferentz because they go by Rivals stars. Brilliant zombies drooling stars. Try being a fan and believe in the program and can the bs. That's what fans do, support the team and staff. If you know more than Ferentz what are you doing on this silly forum when you could be making millions? This team will compete count on it

Don't forget about the comedians. I do think a lot of them were banned however.

I saw a stat that all but one of KF's ranked teams had a new starting QB. Now those teams have had more proven D-Lines but, it's interesting to say the least.

Damn right. I noticed that years ago.

Brad Banks
Oops. I meant Nathan Chandler
Drew Tate

If you looked at the success of KF's 10 win teams, it's when he has had solid or veteran line play both offense & defense. The QB has really never been the key in his teams success. It's a bonus. But having the O-line control the line of scrimmage & opening holes for the running game has been the key. Control the clock. Then have a D-line that can control the line of scrimmage & get to the QB. That's how KF wins. If his lines aren't good, he isn't either. He has a blue-collar team. Luckily, this & next years teams seem to have experience on the O & D line. They should be good years.
to

Last edited:
Well. It was never my intention of making this a prediction thread. I was merely wondering if this team was going to be closer to 8-4 or 5-7.

For kicks & giggles I submit this:

4-8 = 2%
5-7 = 4%
6-6 = 28%
7-5= 55%
8-4 = 38%
9-3 = 3%
10-2 = 2%

Damn right. I noticed that years ago.

Brad Banks
Scott Chandler (I believe)
Drew Tate

If you looked at the success of KF's 10 win teams, it's when he has had solid or veteran line play both offense & defense. The QB has really never been the key in his teams success. It's a bonus. But having the O-line control the line of scrimmage & opening holes for the running game has been the key. Control the clock.to

Brad Banks in 2002 as runner up for the Heisman and Drew Tate in 2004 with one of the worst rushing attacks in NCAAF tend to disagree.

BTW: In reference to the OP, I'll go between the sheets on this wager.

Last edited:
Brad Banks was a little rough at the start. They lost to ISU and then didn't lose the rest of the regular season. I think they lost the Orange bowl though. Or was that the next year?

Latest posts