7/5 PTL...

I have never seen Gatens get to the rim as well as he did in that clip.

That UNI team is filled with little guys. No way any of those moves work in B1G. Look at the one where Hub just window panes his shot. That is more like it.

May's "highlights" are funny.

Marble and White really look like they are going to continue to develop into serious players.

Hubbard, Marble, and Mel looked pretty impressive in those clips. Hubbard definitely looked like he had a big ten body with some of those and ones. Devyn looked a lot more comfortable and was hitting some tough shots. And if Mel can continue to hit those jumpers he is gonna help out a lot. I haven't watched any clips since the first game, but everyone seems a little more relaxed and comfortable than they did in the beginning.

I heard Dev took 30 some shots. That's awesome.

I have never seen a bigger black hole in my life. Dude likes to jack.

As far as the Gatens comments, everyone does realize that no Big Ten player will let him put his head down and go right every time correct? He tried that all the time last season only to get his stuff thrown at the rim.

Gatens' game is the 3, but if he can work a few ball fakes in, take a couple of dribbles and pass or hit that mid range bank shot it will help our flow. He gets so one dimensional at times that he becomes an easy guard for the opposition. If the 3 isn't falling, he is a non factor on offense.

Hard to say what from the PTL will transfer to the regular season, but we definitely have more athletic pieces to assemble. Marble, Hubbard, May, Basabe and White all bring unique skill sets to the table and Cartwright will have many more options this year than last. Two big questions in my mind: 1) Do we have a combination of guys in the 5 spot that can be respectable? 2) Can Ogelsby, Gatens, White and ??? knock down enough 3's to keep teams from doubling on Basabe?

I knew we should have been worried. CAAR was right, spending two hours a week with the UNI guys is obviously much more meaningful than the countless hours he spends practicing, working out and just hanging out with his iowa teammates.

Once again, I will school you with this quote. Are you getting tired of me schooling you? I would think you would by now.

"Playing together in the Prime Time League has strengthened their bond.

“I’m trying to build that chemistry early so when the season comes he knows who I am,â€￾ Olaseni said."

What if Hubbard could say the same thing? Hubbard is a new Hawk. Accordingly, he could actually have been paired with 2 returning Hawks and, like Olaseni says, "build that chemistry."

Is it going to greatly affect his development? NO. But, if there is a league developed basically for Iowa players to get off-season work, it should be set up so that Iowa in-coming players play with other guys from the team.

I don't understand why others can't see this. I mean it is a freaking "NO BRAINER!" Sure he can play with guys at the Fieldhouse, but why not also use the opportunity to develop chemistry? The more time you can get playing with your teammates the better.

Once again, I will school you with this quote. Are you getting tired of me schooling you? I would think you would by now.

"Playing together in the Prime Time League has strengthened their bond.

“I’m trying to build that chemistry early so when the season comes he knows who I am,â€￾ Olaseni said."

What if Hubbard could say the same thing? Hubbard is a new Hawk. Accordingly, he could actually have been paired with 2 returning Hawks and, like Olaseni says, "build that chemistry."

Is it going to greatly affect his development? NO. But, if there is a league developed basically for Iowa players to get off-season work, it should be set up so that Iowa in-coming players play with other guys from the team.

I don't understand why others can't see this. I mean it is a freaking "NO BRAINER!" Sure he can play with guys at the Fieldhouse, but why not also use the opportunity to develop chemistry? The more time you can get playing with your teammates the better.

What do you want players to say that are being asked to play in this league?

"The PTL sucks and is nothing more than glorified pick-up basketball".

That exactly is what PTL is and everybody on this board can see it except you. But of course no player is going to say that while they are being quoted. Can you imagine how unglued Randy Larson would come if he read that in print?

Maybe you are not aware CAAR, but there are limits on the number of players from a college program that can play on the same team during a summer league such as this. I still say you are blowing this out of all proportion.

Maybe you are not aware CAAR, but there are limits on the number of players from a college program that can play on the same team during a summer league such as this. I still say you are blowing this out of all proportion.

There are limits. You can have 2 returning players. However, new players don't count. That is why Hubbard is playing with 4 UNI players, and why White is playing with Mel and Matt.

Actually, other people are the ones blowing this out of proportion. I am simply saying that the league should be used to maximum benefit for Hawkeye players. Putting a new player on a team without any of his future teammates is not a system for maximum benefit. It will still allow the player to get in playing time against mostly college level players, but you miss the ability to develop even a little bit of chemistry with your future teammates. Sure this chemistry can be developed in other places, but wouldn't it be better to also be able to do it in PTL?

Can't you at least cede that point?

You could also make an argument that it is better to play against that competition than with... Get off your high horse!

Can't you at least cede that point?

No I can't. I see little to no value in spending an additional 2 hours per week with two or three future teammates, beyond the 80 to 100 hours per week they already spend together.

Also, since the university does not control the draft, how do you propose that Fran would have gotten Hub on a team with more Hawks?

No I can't. I see little to no value in spending an additional 2 hours per week with two or three future teammates, beyond the 80 to 100 hours per week they already spend together.

Also, since the university does not control the draft, how do you propose that Fran would have gotten Hub on a team with more Hawks?

I guess I will take Oleseni and Cartwright's opinion over yours, because they both indicate there is a benefit to working with a future teammate.

As per the draft, it would be pretty simple to get the message to Larson to come up with a system that would make sure each Hawkeye was paired with at least one other teammate. I mean there are 6 teams and 12 scholarship Hawks for next year. Not difficult math.

Here's my immediate solution. No team can draft a third player from a specific college program unless each team has drafted 2. Wouldn't work every year, but I bet it would be just as easy to come up with a workable solution when necessary.

I have never seen a bigger black hole in my life. Dude likes to jack.

As far as the Gatens comments, everyone does realize that no Big Ten player will let him put his head down and go right every time correct? He tried that all the time last season only to get his stuff thrown at the rim.

Black Hole...is it that or he is aggressive? The one think that I do appreciate about Marble is he is not afraid to shoot, now did he take some wild shots last season, yes, but so did many others.

On Gatens, that is a no-brainer, the one highlight for Hubbard was what resulted for Matt when he drove during the season; looked familiar. There are times when Matt needs to go to the rim, but those are rare, he should pull up and hit the mid-range shot before he thinks of going to the rim. He needs stick to his strong points and that is his shooting and much better than average passing.

Sorry CAAR, but this is really a non-issue. Fret about it all you want, I'm done with it.

Sorry CAAR, but this is really a non-issue. Fret about it all you want, I'm done with it.

Hopefully others are done with it as well because quite frankly there has been a lot of undue piling on this topic. It was an opinion. Right or wrong (mostl likely a little of both) just an opinion.

Since I can't make it to the PTL games but love Iowa B-ball, I love to poke in here and read what I can about the players and games. Having to read through 1/2 page of last months disagreement rehashed takes away from that.

And yes I fully understand the above post is drenched in hypocrisy.

Good, Iowa needs that sort of player.

Agreed. Even though he didn't shoot a high percentage, I loved how Marble shot with a lot of confidence on every shot. From what's been said about his PTL performance thus far, it looks like he may start making more of those shots this year.

Latest posts