6/20 PTL Stats

Besides the fact that he was almost an 80% free throw shooter, he is a good passer and he plays above average defense. He wont lock down the other teams best player man to man but Oglesby is rarely out of position and doesnt get beat a lot on defense.

While I do think Ogs min. will decrease this year, he isn't exactly a black hole. As you say he is a good passer, a good ball handler, and an above average defender.

While I do think Ogs min. will decrease this year, he isn't exactly a black hole. As you say he is a good passer, a good ball handler, and an above average defender.

Zactly.

And the way I see it, with another 3 point thread added we wont have to continually go to a guy that is struggling no matter who it is. More options is a good thing.

Being a good passer and an efficient defender is not going to be enough next year at the 2.

The starting 5 will be:
Marble -1
MG - 2
Uthoff -3
White - 4
Woody - 5

Mel, Zach, and Gabe will get front line minutes. Clemmons is a better option as a distributor and defender than Ogs. Jok looks like a better shooter.

At that point your rotation is ten deep.

All of this being said, the second team of

Clemmons - 1
Jok - 2
McCabe - 3
Mel - 4
Gabe - 5

Could be fun to watch. Teams would have to sell out to cover Jok and McCabe leaving Clemmons to drive the line or lob city to Mel and Gabe.

Last edited:
Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn't call 2 seasons a slump. I don't wanna rag on the kid at all, but he's just flat out up to this point in his career, a very poor shooter.

Josh shot 37% from the arc as a frosh....that is not a slump...that is very respectable.
He then slumped to 27% as a sophmore....now that is a slump.

Is he a poor shooter?...not his first year.

I have read that Ut. has grown to 6'10". In Jon's post, he is referenced as being 6'8". I know, only two inches, but having a guy 6'10" with his ability seems better at 6'10" than 6'8". What's the truth?

I can see a scenario where Oglesby eventually evolves into an Eric May type player by the time he is a senior.

Uthoff told Rob Howe he is measuring in at 6'9.5'' in barefeet.....in shoes...at least 6'10''.

He should grow his hair out - it would add a couple of more inches. :)

41tiJDPjgaL.jpg

Zactly.

And the way I see it, with another 3 point thread added we wont have to continually go to a guy that is struggling no matter who it is. More options is a good thing.

Good 3 point shooting can be contagious on a team. I think competition and the success of other shooter on the team will up JOs game. I have a lot of respect for JOs game and what he brought to the team last year without great 3 point shooting. Having him in at the end of games to make freethrows is a huge plus for this team.

Being a good passer and an efficient defender is not going to be enough next year at the 2.

The starting 5 will be:
Marble -1
MG - 2
Uthoff -3
White - 4
Woody - 5

Mel, Zach, and Gabe will get front line minutes. Clemmons is a better option as a distributor and defender than Ogs. Jok looks like a better shooter.

At that point your rotation is ten deep.

All of this being said, the second team of

Clemmons - 1
Jok - 2
McCabe - 3
Mel - 4
Gabe - 5

Could be fun to watch. Teams would have to sell out to cover Jok and McCabe leaving Clemmons to drive the line or lib city to Mel and Gabe.

A deeper and longer team than last year. Coach Fran brought out the press situationally against tougher opponants last year; could we see it even more this year?

Good 3 point shooting can be contagious on a team. I think competition and the success of other shooter on the team will up JOs game. I have a lot of respect for JOs game and what he brought to the team last year without great 3 point shooting. Having him in at the end of games to make freethrows is a huge plus for this team.

Who do you take out for JO to shoot free throws? I mean if the team is up by a bunch and it is foul time, sure you want all your best ball handlers and free throw shooters in. But guess what? All the other guys who play the same position as JO would be in there too.

Josh shot 37% from the arc as a frosh....that is not a slump...that is very respectable.
He then slumped to 27% as a sophmore....now that is a slump.

Is he a poor shooter?...not his first year.

He shot 28% against Big Ten teams last year and around 23% this year. I could care less if a guy hits shots against the sisters of the poor that filled our OOC schedules the past couple years (he shot 48% as a frosh in the OOC). I want a guy who hits them against teams that have a pulse. Oglesby has given little reason to think he will be that guy going forward. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

He's only put together strong shooting nights when the team didn't need him to (whether that meant we were winning or losing in a blowout). That's not exactly weapon material. It's like a gun that only goes off when you're trying to shoot someone, in the heart, who's already dead, or when that person is wearing a bulletproof vest.

He's got some value in other areas of his game, but I'm definitely excited knowing we don't have to lean on him for 3-point legitimacy going forward.

Don't get me wrong, I like our size from guard to center. I think with the addition of Uthoff and Jok, and both Gesell and Clemmons getting another off season under their belt, the shooting woes of last year seem remote to me in 2013-2014...there are just too many options for Fran.

The one area I think we need to improve is rebounding against physical teams and someone who can strike some fear in people driving to the paint...ala Ed Horton. Dude was money on the glass and scared the crap out of people.

He shot 28% against Big Ten teams last year and around 23% this year. I could care less if a guy hits shots against the sisters of the poor that filled our OOC schedules the past couple years (he shot 48% as a frosh in the OOC). I want a guy who hits them against teams that have a pulse. Oglesby has given little reason to think he will be that guy going forward. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

He's only put together strong shooting nights when the team didn't need him to (whether that meant we were winning or losing in a blowout). That's not exactly weapon material. It's like a gun that only goes off when you're trying to shoot someone, in the heart, who's already dead, or when that person is wearing a bulletproof vest.

He's got some value in other areas of his game, but I'm definitely excited knowing we don't have to lean on him for 3-point legitimacy going forward.

I don't know how you can say the non conference didn't matter? We missed the tournament because of our non conference schedule, and losing some of those games. We went 9-9 in BIG, more than enough to make the Dance.

To say what he did against ISU (2-5), UNI (2-4), Wichita St. (4-8), and Virginia Tech (3-6) didn't matter, is just silly. He went 11-23 from 3 pt range against those teams. The wins against ISU and UNI were good wins, and maybe if we beat Wichita St. and Virginia Tech then maybe we are in the tournament. These teams were not the "sister's of the poor".

Yes he had a bad year, and you don't need to cherry pick stats to make his look poor. Yet all the players rolled up better stats against those other inferior non conference opponents.

I don't know how you can say the non conference didn't matter? We missed the tournament because of our non conference schedule, and losing some of those games. We went 9-9 in BIG, more than enough to make the Dance.

To say what he did against ISU (2-5), UNI (2-4), Wichita St. (4-8), and Virginia Tech (3-6) didn't matter, is just silly. He went 11-23 from 3 pt range against those teams. The wins against ISU and UNI were good wins, and maybe if we beat Wichita St. and Virginia Tech then maybe we are in the tournament. These teams were not the "sister's of the poor".

Yes he had a bad year, and you don't need to cherry pick stats to make his look poor. Yet all the players rolled up better stats against those other inferior non conference opponents.

He shot 48% percent from the floor in his freshman non-conference slate. He shot 27 percent this past season, and 23 percent in conference play. In other words, he didn't shoot significantly better in OOC than he did in the B1G as a sophomore.

OOC 3pt% (2011): 45.2%
B1G 3pt% (2011): 28.8%
OOC 3pt% (2012): 30.6%
B1G 3pt% (2012): 23.5%

Put simply: He's shot like dogshit ever since late December 2011. He shot very well against a lousy OOC slate his freshman year. He's shot 27.4% from behind the arc in the 55 games since then. That's just over 76% of his career in Black and Gold. That's not cherry-picking.

Last edited:
He shot 48% percent from the floor in his freshman non-conference slate. He shot 27 percent this past season, and 23 percent in conference play. In other words, he didn't shoot significantly better in OOC than he did in the B1G as a sophomore.

Put simply: He's shot like dogshit ever since late December 2011. He shot very well against a lousy OOC slate his freshman year. He's shot 27.4% from behind the arc in the 55 games since then. That's just over 76% of his career in Black and Gold. That's not cherry-picking.

I'm not arguing that Ogs had good numbers. Just that you should talk about them in the context of the season like you do for every other player. When you talk about Gesell, White, Marble or others do you break down what they did in conference VS non conference? No, you do it for Ogelsby only.

I'm not arguing that Ogs had good numbers. Just that you should talk about them in the context of the season like you do for every other player. When you talk about Gesell, White, Marble or others do you break down what they did in conference VS non conference? No, you do it for Ogelsby only, and that is the very definition of cherry picking.

Latest posts