5 weeks until kickoff...

Hawkfromnorwalk

We're inching our way closer to the finish line...

Each week I will start a new topic and we can discuss until it's time for the season to start.

Week 1: Brew/drink of choice at the tailgate...done
Week 2: Best menu item...done
Week 3: Tailgate setup...done
Week 4: Tailgate spots
Week 5: Tailgate arrival time
Week 6: Tailgate games
Week 7: Best Tailgate moment/memory
Week 8: Best game day/Melrose/Kinnick experiences/stories

Looks like we are up to the tailgate spot topic. For this one here, state where you tailgate at and why you like (or possibly dislike) it.

We have always parked in the Finkbine Golf Course lot off of Melrose. It's a nice little lot, probably only fits about 50 cars or so. It's more of a laid back lot so you see more people in the 30's and up, but you will still get a few setups containing kids fresh out of school. It is a non donor lot so for some games you get your fair share of enemy tailgaters. Michigan and Northwestern fans have a knack of taking over the place.

My only beef with it is last year they started forcing people to fill up the lot in a line. Before that they would let you take whatever spot you wanted. It was great getting there right as the lot opened at 7:00 and getting a spot in the corner so you could spread out a little. Now, they force each car into the next spot, which is also a hassle because before our tailgate group would arrive at seperate times but now you have to go in together or you will get seperated.

Anyway, let's hear what you got!

Last season I tailgated at Myrtle. Its alright! Definitely no olive court or fieldhouse parking lot. I think this season we're going to tailgate on melrose at my friends spot right next to the stadium, i missed that atmosphere!

I go to Myrtle. I like how rowdy it gets. While popular with the college kids you still get a diverse crowd, especially at the top of the T.

I really don't like is the lack of riverside hill and how that whole area was free. But that ship sailed away a few years ago now.

I will also walk to a donor lot across from carver once a year and meet up with my cousin. Also my sister tailgates nearby myrtle in a private home. Will meet up with her for a little bit too.

Last edited:
I used to tailgate on Myrtle Hill, then Olive Court. Now we do the Myrtle Lot unless we have the kids with us, then we do the Library Lot. There we set up along the river in the grass, very nice, and really not a bad walk.

East bank of the Iowa River, off the Main Library/EPB lot. You pay by the hour at the end of the day, and it usually ends up being in the $6.00-$8.00 range, depending on the length of the tailgate/gameday. Definitely more laid back, but these folks are pros for the most part. Lots of grills, canopies, bags, ladders, the whole works. As recently as two years ago, they would keep EPB open, which was nice for bathroom access. It was locked last year, but there are probably a dozen portajohns, so no big deal. Probably a 10 minute (or two beer) walk up Burlington/Grand, cut through the Field House and to the stadium. I love getting there on a chilly fall morning and seeing some low lying fog on the river as I'm unpacking and setting up. The absolute best place to spend a Saturday morning.

Myrtle lot when I feel like getting crazy, otherwise right across the street/down Myrtle there is a Church that has parking lots that are short walk to Kinnick and not quite as crazy as the Myrtle lot. Occasionally we will meet up with a group of friends that tailgate at Rose Elementary on Benton. And maybe once a year or once every couple of years we like to try to get to the top of the hospital ramp right across from Kinnick, something about being able to see into Kinnick while tailgating is awesome.

Since we have a few guys that frequent the Myrtle lot, let's get together for a toast to the Hawks. I agree, Myrtle is a bit rowdy, think that's why cops from so many jurisdictions cruise the lot?;)

The dental lot, not super rowdy but plenty of space and a decent walk to Kinnick, plus Carver is close by if there is anything going on over there also makes for a short walk.

Latest posts