5 Observations from Iowa's Win at Minnesota

Managing JBO's minutes will be the difference between life and death this year for Fran. He is Soooooooooooooo boom and bust. His timely 3 pointers and free throws in the clutch are BEYOND the measure of value. But, his defense on the ball and the cost of his NOT hitting shots, can sink the victory as quick as a locked torpedo.

More than any other decision this season, when to sit and when to play JBO will decide this season.

I am not concerned about JBO’s defense. It is what it is. IMHO it is not as serious as a flaw as assumed on HN. I have asked for evidence, observed a few games on tape to evaluate his D performance and have found more myth than reality on the criticism. No, it’s not a strength, for sure. The conclusion that his weak D outweighs his overall effectiveness on scoring, assists, turnovers, floor game, experience, is absolute nonsense, Talk smart all you want, but pure evidence disputes your negatives.
Clearly, his 3 point shooting is in a funk. FT shooting is near 90%. Clutch FT’s are $$. Turnovers? Have you seen more than 1 or 2 all season? So, he needs to be on the floor and needs more offense focused on his skills, even if we are smart enough to see opposing D’s show absolute fear that he will bury them with his shooting,
Fran is playing JBO, and CMac for that matter, at the right times. If you don’t think so, fine. I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

Jbo's biggest defensive problem is his lateral speed. Any decent opposing player can get to the rim on Jbo when they want. They only way to stop that for the Hawks is to have someone slide over and help or go zone. That being said, he brings a lot of experience, he's the guy you want fouled at the end of the game, and his 3 point shooting is a plus. If your the coach, who else is playing ahead of him in crunch time???

I’ve always said Jordan could breakdance while Iowa plays D, it doesn’t matter, his offensive game more than makes up for his defensive liabilities and frankly it’s not close. His defense being a heal is way over rated and an easy crutch for people who want to see him and this program fail. Jordan Bohannon is not great at D, but he’s one of the best players to ever play at Iowa despite his defense and that is upsetting to most people, I get it, these people are just idiots.

I thought Fran missed some opportunities to sub offense and defense a few times at the end of the game. I get that you want JBO in there on offense at the end because he is smart and is money from the line, but there were at least two dead balls where I would have subbed in my best defensive unit. We needed some stops.

This team has tourney talent, but there are a number of guys out there that are great in some areas and not in others, and there are a lot of pieces to blend. Last year, anyone of us could have coached and done well enough subbing guys here and there. It was an established, veteran roster with well defined roles. Fran is going to earn his paycheck this year if we are to be successful.

One more observation to add - The offense definitely went stagnant down the stretch, but the article neglects to mention that Iowa's defense also allowed 31 points in the final 11+ minutes of the game. Still glad to get the win, and the team played a good game for the first 28 minutes, but I'd like to see a 40 minute effort.

After 6 years we are still arguing JBo...lol. When he's producing points (scoring or assists) he's valuable, when he's not he's a liability. My fingers are crossed he can help win Iowa that big game this year, it hasn't happened yet.

One more observation to add - The offense definitely went stagnant down the stretch, but the article neglects to mention that Iowa's defense also allowed 31 points in the final 11+ minutes of the game. Still glad to get the win, and the team played a good game for the first 28 minutes, but I'd like to see a 40 minute effort.
I have always felt that Fran's team struggle on defense because they are terrible at rotating to the open shooters. They react, not anticipate. So, teams that execute can almost always get an open 3 look. If they are hitting, it kills us. That is what happened down the stretch. Minnesota starting making its 3s.

Yeah when MN went to zone and hit a couple deep jumpers things flipped and they if that game was 3 mins longer I'm not so sure the results woulda been the same. I'm glad we finally closed it out but that's not a team they shoulda had trouble closing out down the stretch like that. Murray showed he's not afraid of the moment out there and that was great to see.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. Then JBo made the 4 FTs to seal the game.

I was wondering why Fran wasn't taking any TO's to squelch Minny's run in the 2nd half. I actually give credit to my wifey as she mentioned it to me and I was like, oh yea he hasn't taken any.

I have noticed that he seems to roll with the runs a lot and has a tendency to not take TO's.

I am not concerned about JBO’s defense. It is what it is. IMHO it is not as serious as a flaw as assumed on HN. I have asked for evidence, observed a few games on tape to evaluate his D performance and have found more myth than reality on the criticism. No, it’s not a strength, for sure. The conclusion that his weak D outweighs his overall effectiveness on scoring, assists, turnovers, floor game, experience, is absolute nonsense, Talk smart all you want, but pure evidence disputes your negatives.
Clearly, his 3 point shooting is in a funk. FT shooting is near 90%. Clutch FT’s are $$. Turnovers? Have you seen more than 1 or 2 all season? So, he needs to be on the floor and needs more offense focused on his skills, even if we are smart enough to see opposing D’s show absolute fear that he will bury them with his shooting,
Fran is playing JBO, and CMac for that matter, at the right times. If you don’t think so, fine. I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

I think you are correct for the most part and I agree. He's a veteran so he's gunna get the nod. Just the way it works in college sports. Unless, he totally F's up off the court, he's gunna be in there. I also don't think it is as bad as many people say.

But, I have noticed teams have isolated him one-on-one or try to take advantage of the match-up and drive on him. But, we have to live with that and they are sometimes doing that out of the flow of their offense which can be bad for them if it doesn't work and they keep on trying.

There have been some quick guards or players that he was guarding that have succeeded taking him off the dribble, but I think in certain situations Fran goes with another player such as Perkins or Uhlis. I've see Jo Bo sitting in close games in the 2nd half if D is really needed.

I think he and Fran know and accept his role.

I’ve always said Jordan could breakdance while Iowa plays D, it doesn’t matter, his offensive game more than makes up for his defensive liabilities and frankly it’s not close. His defense being a heal is way over rated and an easy crutch for people who want to see him and this program fail. Jordan Bohannon is not great at D, but he’s one of the best players to ever play at Iowa despite his defense and that is upsetting to most people, I get it, these people are just idiots.

Not always......................and there are games that it is very close. Games where he is not hitting very well and Iowa can't afford to let him give up points on defense. Fran does the situational thing with him.

OT: I was at the women's game and 5 members of the team showed up to the game. Which blew my mind as they were just playing up in Minneapolis a few hours prior. Some how they were able to shower, do post game, bus to a plane, fly to Iowa City, bus to CHA, and be able to take in the woman's game in about 3 hours.

I was wondering why Fran wasn't taking any TO's to squelch Minny's run in the 2nd half. I actually give credit to my wifey as she mentioned it to me and I was like, oh yea he hasn't taken any.

I have noticed that he seems to roll with the runs a lot and has a tendency to not take TO's.
Fran is the worse coach i may have ever seen at two things: His Substition patterns and his lack of knowing when to call TOs.

Fran is the worse coach i may have ever seen at two things: His Substition patterns and his lack of knowing when to call TOs.
I am going to go way out on a limb here and suggest Fran knows more about subbing patterns than you do. Maybe even when to call a time out.

OT: I was at the women's game and 5 members of the team showed up to the game. Which blew my mind as they were just playing up in Minneapolis a few hours prior. Some how they were able to shower, do post game, bus to a plane, fly to Iowa City, bus to CHA, and be able to take in the woman's game in about 3 hours.

Do you think they fly to Minny? I would think they'd bus. Do they pretty much fly to most places anymore? They must have if they made the women's game, I guess.

Do you think they fly to Minny? I would think they'd bus. Do they pretty much fly to most places anymore? They must have if they made the women's game, I guess.

They had too, there is no way they could have made the trip on a bus in that short period of time. It's a 4.5 hour bus ride, I doubt they even bus too Champaign as that's a 3.5 hour bus ride.

If Jbo isn't making buckets I rather have Perk in the game. If you need him late in games to make free throws at the 1 or the 2 spot I get that. His sole purpose of coming back is to make shots...if he ain't doing that I have no interest.

Latest posts