5-0 vs. MSU at Kinnick on Oct. 5

After taking another glance at the Hawkeyes' 2013 schedule, the first five games are mostly underwhelming. Sure, there's that Orange Bowl team from Northern Illinois, that menacing bunch of Cyclones from that school out west, and the no-longer-a-rival Gophers from up north, but hey, like I said, mostly underwhelming. So with any kind of uptick in the galaxy's worst offense, any life at all in the defense and special teams and, well, it's not too hard to squint through those black-and-gold lenses and see a big 5-and-0 start this fall.

And if that could happen, it's not impossible to think Iowa could defeat MSU in Iowa City on Oct. 5 and be midway through the season at 6-0.

After that, who knows?

Iowa goes 2-4 the rest of the way, they end up 8-4 on the year.

Anyway, the point is, I'm as frustrated, annoyed, and disappointed as anyone over not just the recent record, but the embarrassing way in which it has been achieved. I'm not sold that the captain has it in him to make the significant changes needed throughout the program, but at the same time, I'm hoping he will. There have been a few signs aimed in the right direction lately, but then like many posters have noted, the coaches said one thing last off-season and then gave us one of the most humiliating falls in recent memory.

So I just wanted to suggest that, given the schedule--especially the front end of it--the Hawkeyes could bring entertainment and excitement back to Iowa City in 2013 in spite of it all.

After taking another glance at the Hawkeyes' 2013 schedule, the first five games are mostly underwhelming. Sure, there's that Orange Bowl team from Northern Illinois, that menacing bunch of Cyclones from that school out west, and the no-longer-a-rival Gophers from up north, but hey, like I said, mostly underwhelming. So with any kind of uptick in the galaxy's worst offense, any life at all in the defense and special teams and, well, it's not too hard to squint through those black-and-gold lenses and see a big 5-and-0 start this fall.

And if that could happen, it's not impossible to think Iowa could defeat MSU in Iowa City on Oct. 5 and be midway through the season at 6-0.

After that, who knows?

Iowa goes 2-4 the rest of the way, they end up 8-4 on the year.

Anyway, the point is, I'm as frustrated, annoyed, and disappointed as anyone over not just the recent record, but the embarrassing way in which it has been achieved. I'm not sold that the captain has it in him to make the significant changes needed throughout the program, but at the same time, I'm hoping he will. There have been a few signs aimed in the right direction lately, but then like many posters have noted, the coaches said one thing last off-season and then gave us one of the most humiliating falls in recent memory.

So I just wanted to suggest that, given the schedule--especially the front end of it--the Hawkeyes could bring entertainment and excitement back to Iowa City in 2013 in spite of it all.

I would have to say that about sums it up for me as well.

I have been a fan of Iowa football for almost 30 years, one thing I have learned is never to count Iowa out (same goes for expectations)

I just don't see it...the Clones are on a roll now that Rhoads has them at a level they've never seen before (Best under .500 team in the Big12) and with the statue ceremony and new inflatables and an upgrade to the smoke machine that will leave the goal posts much more visible during the tunnel run, I don't see Iowa walking out of the I-35 Wind Tunnel with a win...but I like the thought of a 4-1 Hawkeye team heading into the MSU game!

I dont anticipate us being 5-0 or 8-4 overall. First year starter at QB and a bad group of WR and an offensive cordinator i have 0 faith in and a head coach with terrible time management skills. All these factors... we'll be playing late in the year to get enough wins to be bowl elgible. All just my opinion of course and hope im wrong but im struggling to see how some can be so optimistic without even knowing will be starting under center.

After last year, 5-0 would be equally as surprising to me as 1-4 would be.

0-5, 1%
1-4, 9%
2-3, 15%
3-2, 28%
4-1, 37%
5-0, 10%

0-5, 1%
1-4, 9%
2-3, 15%
3-2, 28%
4-1, 37%
5-0, 10%

And a lot of people were saying that last year's team really ought to have started 5-0 as well, and we all know how that turned out. Alot of these games are winnable, but I guess I'm not assuming anything until Iowa goes out and proves it can get it done on the field.

If Iowa goes 8-4 this year, I'll be a pretty happy fan. But Iowa hasn't achieved an 8-4 (or better) record since 2009, and only twice since 2004. I'm not ready to blindly believe just yet.

Last edited:

0-5, 1%
1-4, 9%
2-3, 15%
3-2, 28%
4-1, 37%
5-0, 10%

Last year the hawks could have easily started 5-0 or 2-3.

On the above probabilities I would leave 0-5 alone, I think 1-4 is more like 3% and 2-3 is more like 10 %. I would leave 3-2 and 5-0 alone (actually I might make 5-0 a little lower like 5 %).

I think 4-1 is more like 48% or so. My reasoning is I think the hawks will be better early on than last year and like I have always said "KF and his staff are always good for causing about 2 losses per year no matter what is going on out on the field". I like KF and what he has done for hawk football. I want him to have a great end of his career here because that means some exciting football But I have been puzzled by some of his in-game decisions going back to the 2001 Alamo Bowl when right before Kaeding's game winning kick he called timeout when he could have let about 25-30 seconds run off the clock. Remember how Texas Tech got the ball back with about 40 seconds left instead of 10 seconds left. I have a long memory about these things that continue to happen. Continue to happen during games.

I don't see us starting 5-0. I would be happy if we can start 3-2. While our running game looks to be in good shape our passing game will be very suspect and I would bd surprised if the qb battle is over by game 2 or 3. This will likely lead to other teams having very little respect for our passing attack. Opponent's will put 8 or 9 in thebox and blitz the the crap out of our qbs.

I recall the same thing being said about last year's team before the season. We all know how that turned out

3 out of the first four games at home and the clowns might be a spoiler. But they have a lot of shoes to fill. Minnesota is winnable. Iowa returned a bunch this year on both sides of the ball. The weight gains have been posted already. Lot more experienced players on the field this year. The weakness is the QB/WR positions. But, Iowa could be 4-0 going into Gopherland.

I am a hopeless optimistic, and could see this happening. However, I can also envision a 4-1 or a 3-2 start as well. I'm hoping that doesn't happen.
IMO, We need to get the fast start, as the second half of the season will be a lot tougher.
All in all, I can definitely see a 8-4 (and if we get one we shouldn't, 9-3), and a decent bowl. But as I said, I'm a hopeless optimistic.

I think 7 wins would very much satisfy me...8 would be great. I think 8 is the ceiling. 6 or less....ugh.

My SIG still rings true

Sadly I think it's far more likely that we'll be 0-5 heading into that game than 5-0. If we average more than 300 total yards in those first five games I'll be shocked.

Sadly I think it's far more likely that we'll be 0-5 heading into that game than 5-0. If we average more than 300 total yards in those first five games I'll be shocked.
Darn right you will be! I'll bring the car battery...someone else will have to hook you up though...I can't do that again.

Latest posts