4-Star RB Ricky Parks Announcing Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't appear to be that home run hitter for the rb position. I would have loved having him, but I'd rather have a "to the house RB." In order for our offense to get to the next level, you need to pop a few 60+ yd td runs or bombs a season. A couple a game or more. We get a handful a season. With the methodical 3 yards and a cloud of dust ground and pound offense we run, helps to have athletes who can bust one. Im not worried about missing out on this one.

If Parks signs, would this dispel all the "chicken little" types that were running around predicting doom and gloom for Iowa recuiting?

"Iowa will never be able to recruit black players again...we are only going to be able to recruit skill position types like Mark Weisman and Sam Brownlee?" "We are going to line up with 5 tight ends wide" "You have to fire KF because recruiting is done."

Let's see...Oladokun and Park...hmmm...would be a good sign for the future in my opinion.

Guilty as charged.

Iowa wasn't exactly an easy sell to black athletes before all of this became public and in my mind this had the potential to be devastating to the program. The margin of error is small for a school like Iowa from being a perennial Top 25 program to falling off a cliff.

There are things that need to play out, but it looks like I may have overreacted. Glad to be wrong.

Can you make the argument Utah is the Iowa of the Pac-12? In terms of how they have to win games, in how they have to recruit?
I'd say it's a very fair comparison, although I'd give Utah an ever so slight recruiting edge just due to being close to California and having exposure to players there from being in the Pac-12.

Plus it seems like they just rake in talented players of Samoan heritage.

Why in the world would Iowa lose a RB to Utah? Good luck to the young man, but he missed out on a huge opportunity, esp. with the O linemen that Iowa had commit.
I don't know what type of offensive scheme Utah runs, but I know some backs visualize themselves producing a lot better in spread offenses which allow them more 'space' to operate in.

Does the Pac12 tv network even reach Florida? I don’t know if they have the coverage the BTN has. You would think he would want his family and friends able to watch him.

He may have thought we had too many quality backs to compete with. Or the racial thing may have been used against us.
Doubt if Utah could have used the "racial thing" against us, Utah is a good school in their own right. The state has a dress code I believe. Didn't Urban coach there before being brought up to the majors?

I would guess it's more about playing time than anything else. He will sit behind Goodson for two years for sure. And Iowa doesn't often feature one RB. I think that keeps us from getting a lot of top rated RBs, even though we run more than most teams. If he actually never visited Utah, it baffles me that he would announce at this time. Going to Utah from Florida will be a huge culture shock.

Also...Utah has had their last 3 RBs drafted. Iowa’s running game has been little better than garbage for most of the past decade.

Hmmm... run behind a traditionally good offensive line in a good conference with lots of eyes watching... (oh and a run happy team) OR pick a team in one of the worst conferences that is hardly seen by east coast Heisman voters. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. NOT.

Not to worry though, we will go get commit from some Mid-American school to switch to the Hawks

Utah has their own racial issues with their staff.
Yeah none of that was a factor to him for Iowa and Utah to be his finalists..

Iowa is pretty loaded at RB for the foreseeable future. I'm not too worried about that position. Keep the Olinemen coming in develop QBs and WRs. Those are the trickier things to me. Sure having a game changer at RB is awesome. But you can find RBs that can get the job done easy enough. Again I'm bummed we aren't getting him but we'll be fine.

Guilty as charged.

Iowa wasn't exactly an easy sell to black athletes before all of this became public and in my mind this had the potential to be devastating to the program. The margin of error is small for a school like Iowa from being a perennial Top 25 program to falling off a cliff.

There are things that need to play out, but it looks like I may have overreacted. Glad to be wrong.

yep, but as much as I'd like to think it is...its not perennial top 25.

And so it begins...

iu

Status
Not open for further replies.