4-Star RB Ricky Parks Announcing Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobHowe

Administrator
As I've said, nothing shocks me these days, but I'd be pretty surprised if Parks doesn't pick Iowa. He is down to Iowa and Utah. He's visited here twice and never visited Salt Lake City (I have and it's BORING).

He's scheduled to announce his commitment at 2 pm CT. He played with Dane Belton at Tampa Jesuit and is now teammates with Jordan Oladokun at Tampa Gaither. Oladokun recommitted to Iowa last Sunday.

I have my story ready to go and will post it here after he announces.

If Parks signs, would this dispel all the "chicken little" types that were running around predicting doom and gloom for Iowa recuiting?

"Iowa will never be able to recruit black players again...we are only going to be able to recruit skill position types like Mark Weisman and Sam Brownlee?" "We are going to line up with 5 tight ends wide" "You have to fire KF because recruiting is done."

Let's see...Oladokun and Park...hmmm...would be a good sign for the future in my opinion.

I think it's a good sign. I also think it's too early to judge the impact of the racial inequity allegations. The guys that are committing or have committed in the '21 class have built a relationship with Iowa and most were committed before the story broke. It's a good sign that the '21s stuck with the Hawkeyes, though, for sure.

That said, if there is an impact from the allegations, it would be felt in '22 and beyond. Many of these kids don't have an extensive relationship with the Iowa coaches and haven't been on campus. The dead period that runs through August won't help. The staff is competing with schools like Nebraska, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. for these prospects. And to think the allegations won't be brought up by coaches at those schools would be naive, IMO.

Rob, putting everything else from the past few months aside, how big a factor do you think Kirks age will become in recruiting from here on out?

Yeah...but keeping the '21 class together is important and will go a long way. I'll look at the optimistic perspective. Iowa fulfills its promises and delivers changes to the program. You then have a good story to tell that the environment is welcoming to all...there is a process in place to ensure it stays that way, and players have a forum to express themselves. If the current players have bought in...and confirm those thoughts...then that makes it even better.

It's a double edge sword right now...you could argue that Iowa is the most racially sensitive organization focused on inclusion and making sure players are supported. The other side...the systemic problems forced the changes because the culture was so messed up. Do you trust these coaches to get it right?

Having Woods, Copeland, and Foster in the positions they are...likely is saving this program right now. All these guys are huge assets and are obviously exceptional at what they do. Think about how good their position groups have been and then who is landing high profile recruits. Pay them what you saved in letting Doyle go.

I think it's a good sign. I also think it's too early to judge the impact of the racial inequity allegations. The guys that are committing or have committed in the '21 class have built a relationship with Iowa and most were committed before the story broke. It's a good sign that the '21s stuck with the Hawkeyes, though, for sure.

That said, if there is an impact from the allegations, it would be felt in '22 and beyond. Many of these kids don't have an extensive relationship with the Iowa coaches and haven't been on campus. The dead period that runs through August won't help. The staff is competing with schools like Nebraska, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. for these prospects. And to think the allegations won't be brought up by coaches at those schools would be naive, IMO.

By the way, we are 16-4 against those schools (Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa State, and Wisconsin) in the last five years...with the only four losses being to Wisconsin. Just saying.

Rob, putting everything else from the past few months aside, how big a factor do you think Kirks age will become in recruiting from here on out?

IMO, that will be part of the negative recruiting. In addition to pointing our the allegations, KF's age and relationship with Doyle will be used against Iowa. Then there are the allegations against Brian.

I'm interested to see how it goes. If there is a season, Iowa can't afford a 6-6 or even a 7-5, probably, as it looks to the '22 and '23 classes.

It's not just about how Iowa handles this situation, although it's very important. It's about perception and how competitors use this story against Iowa. It's hard knowing how that will impact recruits.

Recruits still flock to PSU so I'm not to worried. Fences can be mended and I think Iowa's staff is committed to the change. Can't look backwards. It's what the future looks like.

IMO, that will be part of the negative recruiting. In addition to pointing our the allegations, KF's age and relationship with Doyle will be used against Iowa. Then there are the allegations against Brian.

I'm interested to see how it goes. If there is a season, Iowa can't afford a 6-6 or even a 7-5, probably, as it looks to the '22 and '23 classes.

It's not just about how Iowa handles this situation, although it's very important. It's about perception and how competitors use this story against Iowa. It's hard knowing how that will impact recruits.

Doesn't it mean he will coach at least until he is 70? It is going to take a minute to help "rehab" Brian's image.

I appreciate the positive outlook. And I'm hoping a successful season helps mitigate any negative recruiting.

I think we remember Brian Ferentz going on the radio and calling out three of Iowa's biggest rivals for the way they recruit. That will not be forgotten.

And Iowa is not Penn State in terms of college football hierarchy. And it did suffer in recruiting for awhile.

I appreciate the positive outlook. And I'm hoping a successful season helps mitigate any negative recruiting.

I think we remember Brian Ferentz going on the radio and calling out three of Iowa's biggest rivals for the way they recruit. That will not be forgotten.

And Iowa is not Penn State in terms of college football hierarchy. And it did suffer in recruiting for awhile.

Yes they got whacked on the knuckles but they sure bounced back pretty fast for what went on there. I don't think Iowa has anyone going to prison for life over this deal.

Negative political ads often turn voters off and therefore backfire on a candidate. I think the same thing could happen in recruiting.

Yeah...but keeping the '21 class together is important and will go a long way. I'll look at the optimistic perspective. Iowa fulfills its promises and delivers changes to the program. You then have a good story to tell that the environment is welcoming to all...there is a process in place to ensure it stays that way, and players have a forum to express themselves. If the current players have bought in...and confirm those thoughts...then that makes it even better.

It's a double edge sword right now...you could argue that Iowa is the most racially sensitive organization focused on inclusion and making sure players are supported. The other side...the systemic problems forced the changes because the culture was so messed up. Do you trust these coaches to get it right?

Having Woods, Copeland, and Foster in the positions they are...likely is saving this program right now. All these guys are huge assets and are obviously exceptional at what they do. Think about how good their position groups have been and then who is landing high profile recruits. Pay them what you saved in letting Doyle go.

...and Bell.

KF s age is only an issue due to the race thing. Earlier retirement is a possibility. Otherwise, no...I think

I've been a UI fan for decades, and I can't ever remember a time when KF's longetivity has been a more positive factor in recruiting. It seems like almost half of all recent recruits cite "the stability of the program and knowing coach is going to be there" going forward. In these days of coaches coming and going, I think KF being at the helm into the indefinite future will continue to be a net positive on the recruiting front. Would Scott Frost and Matt Campbell be more fun to play for? Probably. But how many guys have they put into the League? More than ever guys are playing college ball because they want to get to the NFL, and nobody does a better job getting them there than KF.

Why in the world would Iowa lose a RB to Utah? Good luck to the young man, but he missed out on a huge opportunity, esp. with the O linemen that Iowa had commit.

He may have thought we had too many quality backs to compete with. Or the racial thing may have been used against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.