#4 Iowa @ Indiana Game Day Thread

- It seems as if the tendency is to choke on the free throw line in the big games

- The team can come back from any deficit during the first 36 minutes but if we are behind by even one point at the final TV timeout we lose

No, no I won't. I'll only say it when it applies. The other great wins were GREAT but there wasn't nearly the expectation nor the opportunity associated with them as there is with this one (and, to a lesser degree, Maryland). The nation is watching with expectation that the #4 team in America is going to beat an unranked "paper tiger" and SEIZE the opportunity to securely take sole possession of 1st place in the B14, honestly living up to it's billing.

They failed when the lights were on - when they had an opportunity to demonstrate - just like the football team did, just like they sort of did at Maryland (in terms of turning in a pathetic performance).

I have no delusions that Iowa will be in the championship game. I think their ceiling is the Sweet 16. Anything beyond that and they have exceeded my expectations, so, they lived up to their billing. I wouldn't say it in those circumstances. I say it because they were beaten - pretty handily - by a team they are "supposed" to be better than because the other team "hadn't played anybody" (remember, Iowa fans).

Yea but if they would have won tonight and lost at home to Wisconsin, you would have said they always lose the big game. When you're winning, every game you play gets bigger (Fran's words). So if we lose in a couple weeks, the lights would have been brighter than tonight's game. We probably weren't going to go undefeated the rest of the year so the game we ended up losing was going to be under the brightest lights. You can't just dismiss the previous wins because they weren't as bright. Because at the time we won them it was under the brightest lights of the year. Doing that sets them up for a guaranteed "they can never win on the brightest stage" comment. The at MSU game was huge. We won. The home game against Purdue was huge. We won. The Maryland and Indiana games wereally huge. We lost. They were both on the road so I'd say this year's team is doing pretty good under the lights.

You are literally saying Iowa will lose because Iowa always loses and trying to act like that's rooted in some kind of logic.

>>Saying a team of players will lose because a team of players lost 20 years ago is not stating facts. <<

The use and understanding of facts and logic are in short supply these days.

Agreed. By no means do I expect them to make every one or even 80% + but damn, 50% is a killer.

It was definitely a killer tonight. But something always kills you on a loss. My point is whether it's free throws, 3 pointers, rebounding, or turnovers, it's all part of the game. It's just an observation that a bad free throw percentage compared to normal is more scrutinized than anything else for some reason. Probably because everybody in the world has made a free throw before, and if i can make one, why did that D1 player just miss one?

Shooting bad from the line is no different than shooting bad from 3. It's just the laws of averages playing out. On the games they play out in a bad way, you lose. The games they play out in a good way, you win.

Saying a team of players will lose because a team of players lost 20 years ago is not stating facts.

I didn't say they will lose. I am observing that they did lose, just as they did in similar "big moments / big opportunities" as 20 years ago and most of the years since. I'm not putting any predictive value in it. I'm simply accepting it as "typical".

Now, I get you're annoyed by it and call me miserable. Trust me, as a life-long, long-time Iowa fan, I am annoyed by it, too. While I'm not miserable, I do admit to that historical tendency severely tempering my expectations and my perspective regarding Iowa sports being a bit cynical. I get you (and, apparently a few others) prolly don't want to watch a game with me (or work next to me or be my friend).

What-evs. I think I'll get by. Go Hawks!

It was definitely a killer tonight. But something always kills you on a loss. My point is whether it's free throws, 3 pointers, rebounding, or turnovers, it's all part of the game. It's just an observation that a bad free throw percentage compared to normal is more scrutinized than anything else for some reason. Probably because everybody in the world has made a free throw before, and if i can make one, why did that D1 player just miss one?

Shooting bad from the line is no different than shooting bad from 3. It's just the laws of averages playing out. On the games they play out in a bad way, you lose. The games they play out in a good way, you win.

the best way to combat this is to get to the foul line more so your percentages are cancelled out by volume but that's not exactly an easy task.

I didn't say they will lose. I am observing that they did lose, just as they did in similar "big moments / big opportunities" as 20 years ago and most of the years since. I'm not putting any predictive value in it. I'm simply accepting it as "typical".

Now, I get you're annoyed by it and call me miserable. Trust me, as a life-long, long-time Iowa fan, I am annoyed by it, too. While I'm not miserable, I do admit to that historical tendency severely tempering my expectations and my perspective regarding Iowa sports being a bit cynical. I get you (and, apparently a few others) prolly don't want to watch a game with me (or work next to me or be my friend).

What-evs. I think I'll get by. Go Hawks!

It's typical for teams to not win the big one thus having big losses because very, very few teams win their final game. It's only annoying to complain about a "big moments loss" or whatever because it's not even that big of a loss...

Nothing is ever good enough. If we're on the bubble and make it in, we had no business being on the bubble. If we win our last 6 to tie for 3rd in the conference and win our first tournament game in 15 years, we weren't good enough to make the sweet 16. If we're 6 games away from the end of the year in 1st place and have a serious shot at a 1 seed, we should have been in sole possession of 1st instead of tied.

It's typical for teams to not win the big one thus having big losses because very, very few teams win their final game. It's only annoying to complain about a "big moments loss" or whatever because it's not even that big of a loss...

Last year we couldn't win the Big one against Gonzaga. Even tho we won the big one against Davidson. If we beat Gonzaga, we wouldn't have been able to win the Big one in the next round. Every team but the national championship loses the big one because the big one is always the game you lose.

Yea it sucks they shot 50% tonight. I just love when people say things like "I can make a free throw why can't they" or "its a FREE THROW! No one's guarding you how can you not make it?" News flash people. Free throws aren't automatic and you're not going to shoot your average every night.

It's definitely the stat to point to tonight and it's the biggest reason they lost. It's just funny how people think every single one of them should be a given.

You just take the points!

:cool:

Latest posts