3rd Commit: QB Jacob Rudoch?

Deputy,

I dont want you to take too much heat for this, because its the mindset that I reacted to more than anything.

The kid is going to be a Hawkeye, he had several offers including from some of our chief rivals, this staff has proven their talent evaluation ability over and over and over, and there is a mindset like 'Damnit! We're Iowa! We don't settle for these kings of players.!"

Quite frankly, I am sick of it (that attitude) and its one of the reasons I was so soured on the recruiting stuff.
Freudian slip? :D

I don't know how one couldn't be impressed with his game film. The kid is very accurate and moves well. He throws the ball with great fluidity, not robotic at all. Great feet as well and seems to throw with anticipation. At 6'3" tall he has the ideal height and I have no doubt he will fill out given time. He throws the ball with more proficiency than Derby right now. I love the commit.

Rudock highlight reel here - HawkeyeReport.com - Hawkeyes get their QB

BTW, Ricky was a string bean 2 star recruit, but had talent.
No Talent Jake was a 4 star QB and was a yr. ahead, so Ricky asked if he would get a fair shot at the starting spot and Kirk Said Yes........It's worked out pretty well for us.

I have a feeling Rudock and Derby will be competing the same way for QB after V-Berg leaves.......and I look forward to it.

If the Florida schools missed out on offering Rudock......tough $*!+ !!!!!!
He looks like he could be a good one for Iowa....and by the looks of it, he already has to play the top HS teams in FLA & the nation - So judging by that resume' - I think He'll be ready!!! :)

Last edited:
Based on the video in the ESPN link, he and James Vandenberg share at least one thing in common: They have both thrown touchdown passes in the Horseshoe.

I like this get.

iahawk72

Living in S. Florida I watched this kid play. He played for the best team in the nation through the first 10-11 games last year. What stands out is that he is very intelligent, makes great reads, hits his targets where they can make an easy catch, scrambles very well, and has played on a high school team that could challenge some college teams. I think his team had 13-14 players go to D-1 schools next year. Florida develops some of the best players in the country and if this kid were on a team that wasn't so loaded year in and year out, he could have blown up his numbers. Great get for the Hawks. Proven leader.

Nice to read your comments. Watching some of the video of him he does throw a nice ball. And of course, highlight reels are just that -- highlights. But, he does seem to have very good pocket presence. Think of how many high school quarterbacks you watch and you really notice the difference when you see a true quarterback versus just some kid they put behind center because he is a good athlete.

For any naysayers, questioning his weight, etc. Answer this one question: Name one player who came to the University of Iowa and trained under Doyle for four years and left as the same scrawny kid as when he arrived. I never worry about a kid's weight. And obviously, neither do the most important people in this process -- the Iowa coaches. They look for the intangibles. Weight can always be added or lost.

What I like most about this recruit the program he is arriving from. I would take a two-star Florida qb from one of the most powerful programs in the country versus a 4-star qb recruit from Iowa or Nebraska. There is something to be said the type of talent a youth faces in high school. I think Drew Tate is a perfect example of what big-time high school football will do for you. I think this is a great catch for the Hawkeyes.

Rudock, who has watched his stock rise over the past year, has worked as hard as any quarterback to prepare himself for the next level. In addition to balancing a baseball career, he always made it a priority to keep his throwing arm and mechanics in focus.

"From the first time I worked with Jake, it was evident that this was a young man who had all the tools to play at the next level," said coach Ken Mastrole, who runs Mastrole's Passing Camp. "Every session he attends, he always brings his best with him. There is no doubt in my mind that he has a chance to become something very special."

Sounds like the kind of guy we want and the kind of team he wants to be with...Great get for the Hawks...Seems very committed

IMO there much more to selecting a QB then watching game film. Personality and the the ability to lead in addition to good decision making are bigger keys, again IMO. This kid has found a way to lead a talented high school team, is a proven winner, and looks to match his skill set to a team that fits his style. We talk about the Iowa program developing kids who excel at the "want to" portion of the game, and if the coach thinks this guy is a future leader for us I for one am delighted he's a Hawkeye.

Well Jon, I guess I'm just not too excited about a qb that had no offers from his in state schools and is another string bean. I know with the offense Iowa runs that getting a 4 or 5 star qb is out of the question but I just feel that we are selling our program short at this position with this recruiting class. I know Stanzi was skinny when he came in but you could tell he was going to get big with his frame. I don't see that with Rudoch from the pictures and videos I have seen.
I hope I am completely wrong and this kid turns out to be amazing but at this very early point i'm just not doing cart wheels over it.

Star ratings can fail on many levels I suppose. However, 2 items star ratings cannot predict are.

1. how many inches and pounds a kid puts on his frame and

2. How big of a heart and passion a kid has

I didn't think I would get everyone all bent out of shape over my statement. I didn't mean for it to take of like it did. I was just stating my opinion at that moment.

Latest posts