3rd Commit: QB Jacob Rudoch?

Deputy,

I dont want you to take too much heat for this, because its the mindset that I reacted to more than anything.

The kid is going to be a Hawkeye, he had several offers including from some of our chief rivals, this staff has proven their talent evaluation ability over and over and over, and there is a mindset like 'Damnit! We're Iowa! We don't settle for these kinds of players.!"

Quite frankly, I am sick of it (that attitude) and its one of the reasons I was so soured on the recruiting stuff.

Exactly. The "doubting Thomas" attitude that still exists among some portions of the fanbase boggles the mind.

IMO there much more to selecting a QB then watching game film. Personality and the the ability to lead in addition to good decision making are bigger keys, again IMO. This kid has found a way to lead a talented high school team, is a proven winner, and looks to match his skill set to a team that fits his style. We talk about the Iowa program developing kids who excel at the "want to" portion of the game, and if the coach thinks this guy is a future leader for us I for one am delighted he's a Hawkeye.

Well Jon, I guess I'm just not too excited about a qb that had no offers from his in state schools and is another string bean. I know with the offense Iowa runs that getting a 4 or 5 star qb is out of the question but I just feel that we are selling our program short at this position with this recruiting class. I know Stanzi was skinny when he came in but you could tell he was going to get big with his frame. I don't see that with Rudoch from the pictures and videos I have seen.
I hope I am completely wrong and this kid turns out to be amazing but at this very early point i'm just not doing cart wheels over it.

The star system is the worst thing ever...you do know that many of the people who assign the "Stars" never played or coached? Many of them have no qualifications to do this at all. But for some reason you think that the person who gave this guy his two stars is smarter then Ferentz?

Amazing.

Deputy,

I dont want you to take too much heat for this, because its the mindset that I reacted to more than anything.

The kid is going to be a Hawkeye, he had several offers including from some of our chief rivals, this staff has proven their talent evaluation ability over and over and over, and there is a mindset like 'Damnit! We're Iowa! We don't settle for these kings of players.!"

Quite frankly, I am sick of it (that attitude) and its one of the reasons I was so soured on the recruiting stuff.

I think that contrasting the impact of the 2005 Iowa recruiting class to the 2006 Iowa recruiting class should indicate to fans that there is no settling involved. The coaches evaluate A LOT of talent and, at least early in the recruiting season, they always have plenty of guys on their recruiting board that they'd be ecstatic to have as Hawkeyes.

In the context of Rudoch, he earned a pretty darn early offer ... so the coaches must have been VERY comfortable with him from early on. Frankly, it's exceptionally exciting that we've landed a QB so high on our board so early.

Heck, Stanzi wasn't a top guy on our board back when he was recruited ... and yet the coaches really liked him and offered him ... and now he has a chance to go down among the best Hawkeye QBs in Iowa history.

Maybe get your facts right before you post Hawkz. I NEVER at anytime said ANYBODY was smarter than Coach Ferentz. People have the right to their opinion. If you don't agree with me than so be it but do not put words in my mouth. Like I said I will eat crow anytime I am wrong on a recruit and have said that hopefully I will be eating crow this time.

Well Jon, I guess I'm just not too excited about a qb that had no offers from his in state schools and is another string bean. I know with the offense Iowa runs that getting a 4 or 5 star qb is out of the question but I just feel that we are selling our program short at this position with this recruiting class. I know Stanzi was skinny when he came in but you could tell he was going to get big with his frame. I don't see that with Rudoch from the pictures and videos I have seen.
I hope I am completely wrong and this kid turns out to be amazing but at this very early point i'm just not doing cart wheels over it.

Actually Iowa recently had a four star quarterback in Jake Christensen. How'd that turn out? At this point I trust the judgement of Ferentz so when he goes out early and offers a kid who then commits, I'm pretty damn excited because Ferentz knows what he wants and needs for his teams to be successful a lot more than you or I.

Living in S. Florida I watched this kid play. He played for the best team in the nation through the first 10-11 games last year. What stands out is that he is very intelligent, makes great reads, hits his targets where they can make an easy catch, scrambles very well, and has played on a high school team that could challenge some college teams. I think his team had 13-14 players go to D-1 schools next year. Florida develops some of the best players in the country and if this kid were on a team that wasn't so loaded year in and year out, he could have blown up his numbers. Great get for the Hawks. Proven leader.

It's a different discussion here but I also take issue with the statement that we can't/don't get 4-5 star QB's because of the offense we run. How many times have we heard from the talking heads that so and so is well prepared for the NFL because of the pro-style offense we run?

Maybe get your facts right before you post Hawkz. I NEVER at anytime said ANYBODY was smarter than Coach Ferentz. People have the right to their opinion. If you don't agree with me than so be it but do not put words in my mouth. Like I said I will eat crow anytime I am wrong on a recruit and have said that hopefully I will be eating crow this time.

I re-read it and it still comes off the same way. But if you meant it differently I'm sorry. Don't mean to put words in your mouth but just don't know what else you could have meant.

This is a copy and paste of the exact words you typed and what I responded to...

"I know with the offense Iowa runs that getting a 4 or 5 star qb is out of the question but I just feel that we are selling our program short at this position with this recruiting class."

Commenting on this issue I could really care less about the player in this instance as he hasn't played a single down in college and there is a decent chance he never will. That being said it's nice to see we have some inroads to that particular school as it's one of the top HS programs in the country.

Commenting on this issue I could really care less about the player in this instance as he hasn't played a single down in college and there is a decent chance he never will. That being said it's nice to see we have some inroads to that particular school as it's one of the top HS programs in the country.

Exactly!

It's a different discussion here but I also take issue with the statement that we can't/don't get 4-5 star QB's because of the offense we run. How many times have we heard from the talking heads that so and so is well prepared for the NFL because of the pro-style offense we run?

In Deputy's defense how often do you hear QB's getting drafted from Iowa because of the pro style offense we run? Never because there has not been a QB drafted from Iowa in a long time.

I'm not saying Iowa couldn't get the 4-5 star QB's because I think they could, and they have, but Iowa does not go off of stars they pick and choose who they want their QB to be. They obviously saw something good in this guy that they didn't see in one of the top QB recruits otherwise they wouldn't have offered.

ESPN has him ranked the 26th best QB this year. Also has some video.
Jake Rudock - College Football Recruiting 2011 - ESPN

Thanks for posting this. I can understand Deputy's lack of excitement at Rudoch's measurables, but to a quarterback layman like me, his film looks good. I particularly liked his accuracy, his pocket presence and his quick feet, which is important because of the amount of bootlegs we like to run. Not to mention our now unorthodox style of putting the quarterback behind center.

Assuming Rudoch takes a redshirt year and then waits for Derby (or another contender) to leave, he'll have plenty of time to put on more weight.

I like getting a QB from powerhouse FL program. The passing games in TX and FL are so far ahead of our passing in the North. To start at a place like Aquinas I'm sure Rudock has had far more passing camps, mechanics coaching, and film study then a kid coming out of Iowa or Ohio. Drew Tate was pretty advanced coming out of powerhouse TX program.

Latest posts