3rd and 7 on our own 39 yard line

1. I'm not sure what Iowa's coaching staff decides to do here. In similar situations they've approached the situation as if it were a 2 down situation and other times they have not.

2. My approach would be to make this a two down situation. I'm acting like it's 2nd and 7 so anything is on the table. Play call would depend on the strengths of my team, the weaknesses of the other team, and whichever match ups I can expect to exploit. I'd probably run because that's what this team is equipped to do best. If I lose yards I punt because we've struggled so much in pass protection and our WR's haven't shown the ability to get quality separation downfield. Sounds conservative, but going for it reeks of more desperation than actual sense. 4th and 5-6 or less and I'm going 3 wide and going to call a play that either gets Kittle open or Wadley/Mitchell in a favorable matchup and a chance in open in space. 4th and 2-3 and I'm spreading it out 3 WR and Kittle to see if I can create a favorable running situation, if not, the QB has the freedom to choose his pass play.

1. I'm not sure what Iowa's coaching staff decides to do here. In similar situations they've approached the situation as if it were a 2 down situation and other times they have not.

2. My approach would be to make this a two down situation. I'm acting like it's 2nd and 7 so anything is on the table. Play call would depend on the strengths of my team, the weaknesses of the other team, and whichever match ups I can expect to exploit. I'd probably run because that's what this team is equipped to do best. If I lose yards I punt because we've struggled so much in pass protection and our WR's haven't shown the ability to get quality separation downfield. Sounds conservative, but going for it reeks of more desperation than actual sense. 4th and 5-6 or less and I'm going 3 wide and going to call a play that either gets Kittle open or Wadley/Mitchell in a favorable matchup and a chance in open in space. 4th and 2-3 and I'm spreading it out 3 WR and Kittle to see if I can create a favorable running situation, if not, the QB has the freedom to choose his pass play.

Yeah, but before Kittle gets open, one must ensure that:
A. He doesn't false-start
B. He doesn't get "covered up" by a wide-out
C. He doesn't do a "hands-to-the-face" or blatant hold/push-off
And finally, D., it would be nice to know with certainty that he's good for the catch and holding onto the ball.

Most years, a great idea. This year? Might want to do it, but with Fant...

Hold on ... you didn't say what derKirkFer would do, only what u would do. I know because the next time the Iowa offense uses the wide side of the field will be the first.

It just wouldn't be Ferentzball without adding the sideline as the 12th defender to cram up the play.:rolleyes::mad:

Well Ferentz--I mean Davis #eyerollbecauseheissenileanddoesntcallanything, would call shotgun with deep patterns and CJ would be sacked at the 10.

It's very clear. In this example you punt on 3rd down (in case of a muff you have 4th down to recover) and pin your opponent inside the 10 yard line.

Then you tell your defense to go out and score a touchdown. And if your offense says, "What about us?!" You reply, "Your job is to help the defense get on the field so they can cause a turnover and score points on a fumble return or pick 6."
This is so perfect, and so close to true.

Well, first, I'd call a timeout. Gotta make sure my troops are ready for this big play.

The play I'd call would be a 5 yard pass towards the sidelines. If we get the 1st down, that's great. If we don't, well, that's football and at least we stop the clock with an incomplete or by going out of bounds.

However, since one of the guys is going to false-start or hold or get a personal foul or something, we'll need to come up with something for 3rd-and-longer (or 4th-and-long, if the opponent declines the penalty). If it's still 3rd down, I'd probably run it with Daniels straight into the teeth of the defense and set up the punt. If it's 4th down, I'd punt it.